Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-17-2013, 12:35 AM

Default Proshot Cleaning Rod

Thinking of getting a spare 17-20 Cal. Cleaning Rod . Would someone who has a Proshot .... measure the biggest OD of its Handle ? I want to save whacking my fingers on the Stock if possible , and there are no 17 Cal Rods that I could find which are long enough to extend beyond the Butt . TIA.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:52 AM

Default Proshot rod

Mine measures 0.619 Bill K
Old 12-17-2013, 01:27 AM

Wow , that's a small Handle . My Tipton and Dewey are about twice that big !
Old 12-17-2013, 01:36 AM

Did you see that The Pro-Shot website says they make a .172 rod that is 38.5 inches, not including handle? How long do you need to go from the buttstock to the muzzle?
Old 12-17-2013, 01:51 AM

Default Proshot rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xring View Post
Wow , that's a small Handle . My Tipton and Dewey are about twice that big !
My dewey is also, large.. Like the Proshot rods. Bill K
Old 12-17-2013, 01:31 PM

TinMan , for my Cooper ( from end of Butt to end of Barrel ) 44 Inches would work , but no one ( that I could find ) makes a 17 Cal. Rod that long . Bore Tech makes a 40 inch and has a straight Handle about 1.15 Inch OD . Tipton makes a 36 inch and has a big front handle ring about 1.36 inch OD . Dewey has a 36 inch with a longitudinally grooved handle so its OD can be 1.10 to 1.23 inch depending on how it contacts the Butt . Even the short Dewey sometimes Kinks for me ., so I want another Brand . BillK .... now I'm confused . You say the ProShot ( which can be 38.5 Inches long ) has a 0.61 inch OD Handle and it is as big as the Dewey handle ( 0.61 is about half the size of my Dewey ) ??? Because of how the Cooper Stock is shaped , a smaller OD Handle would allow straight passes thru the Bore without having to put any bend in the Rod to get it started into the Bore Guide .
Old 12-17-2013, 02:47 PM

Default Pro shot rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xring View Post
TinMan , for my Cooper ( from end of Butt to end of Barrel ) 44 Inches would work , but no one ( that I could find ) makes a 17 Cal. Rod that long . Bore Tech makes a 40 inch and has a straight Handle about 1.15 Inch OD . Tipton makes a 36 inch and has a big front handle ring about 1.36 inch OD . Dewey has a 36 inch with a longitudinally grooved handle so its OD can be 1.10 to 1.23 inch depending on how it contacts the Butt . Even the short Dewey sometimes Kinks for me ., so I want another Brand . BillK .... now I'm confused . You say the ProShot ( which can be 38.5 Inches long ) has a 0.61 inch OD Handle and it is as big as the Dewey handle ( 0.61 is about half the size of my Dewey ) ??? Because of how the Cooper Stock is shaped , a smaller OD Handle would allow straight passes thru the Bore without having to put any bend in the Rod to get it started into the Bore Guide .
Twisted the words, I guess. My Dewey rod is much larger, like the previous posted mention his were, as compared to the Pro shot. Pro shot is as I stated. The dewey rod handles, I have are much larger.. Sorry for confusion in wording. Bill K
Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM

xring, I just went down and measured my Pro-Shot 17 cal rod. It is the 38.5 inch length, the OAL is about 44 inches, and the daimeter of the 17 cal is 0.155 inch, and the handle is 0.620 inch outside diameter with a knurled OD. If I put the 17 cal rod into my Cooper M21 Varmint 221FB M21 bore (I don't have a 17 cal in a Cooper), the handle will clear the centerline of the bore without hitting the stock, but probably could strike the stock if you are careless. My 17 Rem L461 looks like a H&R 317, with the Fajen Aristocrat stock (high Monte Carlo), the handle will just barely clear the top of the Monte Carlo, and I have to be real careful with it. If you put a piece of cloth/rag/plastic bag over the stock you should be good to go. When the rod came out the muzzle end of the M21, the handle was about in the middle of the buttstock. Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:31 PM

Thanks TinMan & BillK for the information . I just went back & reviewed the previous Post on Rods and looked up Ivy , and they do make a 44 inch 17 Cal Rod . So I will mull it over for awhile and order something after Christmas .
Old 12-17-2013, 09:58 PM

I have 17 caliber experience with the Dewey and Pro Shot Rods on my Remington 700 SPS 17 Fireball turned Varmint Synthetic with the addition of the HS Precision VS Stock. I sold my spare Dewey 17 caliber rod because the clearance between the handle and the comb of the stock was minimal, or maybe even "0", and that was when you aligned one of the handle slots with the stock comb. I feel that the rod was probably straight and ok this way, but I decided to make sure by buying the smaller handle Pro Shot Rod. It goes over the stock with a decent amount of clearance. The clearance may still be small enough so that you can't wrap your hands around the handle AND clear the stock, though I couldn't be sure without actually trying and observing. I think you would certainly be more happy with the Pro Shot over the Dewey, and I can say that the Pro Shot works well enough on the VS Stock.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.