Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Supporting Member

Default mountdoug

All meant in good humor Doug, I'm slowly building up inventory when I find ammo or components at prices that I feel are reasonable.

1 question, I've never owned an XP100 or anything with a short barreled rifle action, are they generally considered a handgun therefore requiring handgun paperwork when purchasing?

Thanks,
Stan
Old 01-15-2014, 11:10 AM

I live in prairie dog country. Before plague and poison become common in the prairie dog towns it took a lot of rimfire 17 caliber to shoot them. One year I recorded the number of certain hits which was a bit over 2,000. So if I hit them 80 % of the time I shot then ,I must have shot about 2,500 times or used up a mix of 50 boxes of 17 HM2 and 17 HMR ammo. Back then, whenever there was ammo on sale I would try to keep a 2 to 3 year supply on hand. But when Eley 17 HM2 was on sale for $ 3 and some odd cents per box and Hornady 17 HMR was a bit over $ 7 per box I got a bunch which was over a three years supply. So with the decline in prairie dog population I now ended up with a bunch of low cost 17 HM2 and 17 HMR ammo still on hand. I m retired so when I quit shooting prairie dogs I give the 17 RF rifles to my kids and any ammo on hand.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post
All meant in good humor Doug, I'm slowly building up inventory when I find ammo or components at prices that I feel are reasonable.

1 question, I've never owned an XP100 or anything with a short barreled rifle action, are they generally considered a handgun therefore requiring handgun paperwork when purchasing?

Thanks,
Stan
Hey Stan....enjoying that Eley ammo? As far as the xp100, it's considered to be a handgun, if it was a short barreled rifle (SBR) it would fall under NFA guidelines and would require a $200 tax stamp from the ATF.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Supporting Member

Default Eley Ammo

Herb,
I haven't shot any of the Eley ammo yet, I'm afraid to use it after I see the prices it goes for on Gunbroker. Thanks for the info on the XP's, the gun shop told me that they would handle it as a handgun to be on the safe side.
Stan
Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post

Thanks,
Stan
Taken in good humor Stan and hopefully it was obvious I was joking in my responses as well . If ya can't harass your friends you are sure gonna have problems harassing strangers without getting a fat lip .

I have made a few phone calls on the .17 M2 ammo this morning and found out some real interesting info so rather than Hijack your thread I'm going to start a new one. It would appear that he who laughs last does indeed laugh best .
Old 01-15-2014, 08:04 PM

My HM2 shot like crap, so I sold it pretty quickly. I don't miss it a bit, either. First Marlin rimfire I've owned that didn't shoot well. That was the first year of production, maybe I got a lemon, as another I shot would practically "one-hole" at 100 yards.

Oh well, I don't miss it, and I won't miss much sleep without it.