Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 AM

I enjoyed your report. It was cold and windy on 26th Jan but I had to see where the bullets were hitting with the Leupold 4-12 scope that I had just mounted on my new CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet rifle. It took four shots to adjust the scope so the last bullet hit the center of the target at 50 yards. Too windy to move out to 100 yards. I have five boxes of Hornady 20 Gr V-Max ammo and a box of brass. I will try Lil Gun powder first with 20 Gr bullets and when I can get some 1680 I ll give it a try. I will be using a RCBS neck sizing die and first reload the fire formed factory ammo cases. Its 10 degrees ,13 degree below water freezing this morning. Weather forcast not very good for the next week so I may not be shooting for some time. Keep telling about reloading ammo and what game you are shooting.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:00 AM

Default Range Report Saturday 8 Feb 2014

Spent some more time at Little River range yesterday morning, trying to beat the heat (40C+ forecast ) and for once there was virtually NO wind!

Firstly attached the Magnetospeed chrony and ran some Lil Gun loads (VMax 20gr used for all load development).
Note that after 9.8gr velocities decrease slightly and SD's increase slightly per 0.1gr charge increase to the MAX of 10.0gr... seems to be a node there, well at least according to the Magnetospeed.
9.8gr was the most accurate load, so things do seem to correlate...

Had decided to see if I can actually collect empirical data on differences in primer performance, so as a start loaded 5 rounds each with 9.7gr Lil Gun and checked Federal SR Match 205M against RWS 4033 SR primers.

Groups were a little tighter with the RWS 4033 primer, this is reflected in MIN/MAX spread of 73fps for the RWS 4033 and 104fps for the 205M.
SD of 27 for the 4033 vs 38 for the 205M. Not much in it at first glance but there IS a measurable improvement of nearly 30% based on a sample of 5 shots... need more data to fully prove out.

RWS brass showed the tightest groups when fireforming... this may be due to the much smaller flash hole in RWS brass, the more consistent internal volume or the more controlled brisance of the RWS 4033 primers. Initial reformed rounds measured .009" run out before firing but were very accurate.

9.6gr to 9.8gr Lil Gun shows most promise in this brass, will reload the now formed cases and report back in due course... PRIVI reloads in fully fireformed brass measured < .001" runout.

The other powder investigated at this range trip was ADI 2207 (which has a burn rate similar to A1680) I saw some spectacular 'bug-hole' groups shot at 100m by a HB varmint model using 10.2gr 2207 but this load is well below the MIN of 11.0gr recommended by ADI and barely cracks 3000fps.

I loaded 5 rounds each from 10.0gr to 10.6gr in 0.2gr increments.
In my rifle there is an accuracy node at 10.4gr giving a leisurely AVG 3137fps... but sadly no bug holes!

Still, it was worth a try... next trip I will continue from 10.8 to near the ADI MAX of 11.8gr to hopefully find another accuracy node at a more impressive velocity!

WARNING: This load data is presented for information purposes only, your rifle is different so please apply usual caution...start below and work up

Last edited by Tilleyman; 02-16-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Correct typo and clarify...
Old 02-09-2014, 04:11 PM

Good post, great info well presented, thanks.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:24 AM

Very interesting info there Tilleyman,

Also very nice rifle, I could not wait for the CZ rifles to arrive in OZ so got the mod 25 Savage. Not a nice rifle to look at but it shoots so well I'm not game to get rid of it.

I finally have had some time to continue trying to find a hand load that will get close to the accuracy of the factory ammo.

Like you I found that AR 2205 was a complete waste of time and shot patterns like a shot gun.

I have started testing with AR 2207 and have had much more encouraging results with some nice groups at 11.4 grn's. I've not yet had the chance to check the speed but

I don't have many other powders locally available. I'd like to try lil gun but can't get any. I had a mate pick up some Win 296 and plan on giving it a try.

Thanks for sharing

All the best

Flip

Last edited by Flip; 02-14-2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 AM

Default 17 Hornet ADI Load data...

So far, my experiments with ADI 2207 (ADI powders are very temperature stable) have been very positive...

Note the pressures in the attached table... 2207 is quite low for the velocity vs Western Powders tables for the 17 Hornet which shows a Max load of 11.2gr AA1680 (slightly faster burn rate than 2207) for 3,493fps @ 49,657 psi

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

www.adi-powders.com.au/
http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handlo...quivalents.asp

I have loaded up some cases ready for the next range trip, in 0.2gr steps from where I left off at 10.6gr but try as I might I just can't get more than 11.6gr into the fireformed PRIVI cases...
I know the ADI Data says C (Compressed) but I'm not keen to do so approaching Max.
I'll chrony all loads and report back in due course.

No amount of tapping and jiggling would settle 11.8gr of the relatively large grained (compared to Win 296 and Lil Gun anyway!) powder deep enough into the neck to seat a 20gr VMax at the standard SAAMI COL.
Probably a good thing
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 AM

A while back while out spotlighting I managed to press the projectile a little deeper in to a factory loaded round by sitting on a box of ammo accidentally.
I pulled the projectile once home and while open had a bit of a look at the powder, I took a picture...... any way today I opened the Win 296 powder i got hold of to find that the Win powder looked a lot like the powder out of the factory round.
I'm not saying its the same powder as many powder look similar but it looks very similar.....I just found it interesting is all.

I'm looking forward to trying the 296/

flip
Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Supporting Member

Just a couple of thoughts mate. I went from 2207 to RL-7 in my 19 badger, similar accuracy but much better through the measure. Might be a bit slow in the 17 HH

Two other powders that come to mind would be 2205, never liked it
Vhit N-120, I used this in my 19 hornet, wonderful powder and extremely accurate

Cheers
Johno
Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 PM

Johno

Unfortunately both Flip and I have found that ADI 2205 just patterns not groups in the 17 Hornet... not much use, so load development discontinued.

RL-7 looks promising for the heavier 25gr bullets...

I have some VV N-120 on order at O'Reilly's... Nioa still list it as being 'in stock' so should be able to be ordered via your LGS.

Will run some tests and chrony in due course...
Old 03-02-2014, 07:03 AM

Default Range Report Sunday 2 March 2014

As promised, just writing up the results of the last range trip with the 17 Hornet...gusting winds at Little River played havoc with groups at times.

These were the bullets tested... what a difference 5gr makes!

This time I continued the load progression from where I left off with ADI 2207 and started load development with VV N-120.

I was very pleased to see another accuracy node with 2207 at 11.2gr.
While velocities are down a bit at AVG 3392fps you can't complain about the accuracy... 4 onto 5/16" with one flier opening it up to about 7/16".

As expected by the ringing endorsements of several shooters on here and other forums, Vihtavuori N-120 did not disappoint.
Again velocities were down a bit at the accuracy node of 10.5gr AVG 3337fps, but you can't complain with three into one 3/16" elongated hole and a flier opening the group up to 3/8".

I did a quick test with some 25gr V-Max in front of another ADI powder 2219... 9/16" group with AVG 3029fps.
More work to be done here with the 25gr V-Max but a solid start.

Data charts here:
WARNING: This load data is presented for information purposes only, your rifle is different so please apply usual caution...start below and work up

Last edited by Tilleyman; 03-02-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:34 AM

Default Range Report Sunday 11 May 2014

Just a quick update from my last range report, a bit more investigation of VV N-120 and finally got to shoot those ex-17 HMR 20gr XTP's!

Left to right: 20gr Nosler Varmageddon (VG) FBHP Tipped, 20gr Nosler VG FBHP, 20gr Nosler SHOTS and 25gr Hornady VMax on the far right.

For once Little River range was calm... sunny with hardly any wind!!

Firstly, some good news about another accuracy node at 10.6gr N-120, using PRVI Brass and a RWS 4033 primer but velocity was down at AVG 3302fps.

The XTP's shot OK, with the best group just under an inch but nothing like the pin-point accuracy of the 20gr VMax or the 20gr Nosler Varmageddon FBHP... but useful for a fox-only load kept in a separate magazine ready for a quick change over. These loads were not re-crimped into the cannelure, may try that next time to see if accuracy improves a little

Then some tests of Match loads made up from RWS brass, RWS 4033 primer and five different bullets. Note the very low SD for these loads... very consistent case volume combined with small diameter flash holes and match primers do seem to make a difference...

I tried several VV N-120 loads during the day, some using Hornady brass and Federal 205M primers are listed below.

Disappointment of the day were the 20gr Nosler SHOTS... I just couldn't find an accurate load vs the similar (but different ogive and longer) Nosler VG FBHP.

Usual load data warnings apply...
Quickload (thanks Con!!) shows 11.1gr N-120 as the last load before 'Near Maximum' with the 20gr Nosler VG Tipped.
These shot OK in my rifle with no pressure signs but your rifle is different so start below and work up!

Last edited by Tilleyman; 05-13-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Clarification...