Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17HH ammo....?

Friend called me up he had just bought a new rifle a new CZ American in 17HH. Frankly I'm surprised as he is not a reloader, shoot's strickly readyloads. So he asks me to buy a couple boxes of 17HH ammo off of me...my response....Huh! Told him no ammo here that I'll have to make my brass when I start loading for the new Martini. Dead Silence! Told him to go to Gun Broker and assume the position I then go to GB and take a look.....holy crap...stuff's averaging over 50.00/bx, ie 2 bux a round. If your a rifle company making 17HH's you gotta be looking at Hornady all cross eyed, gotta be killing new gun sales.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:38 PM

Chuck, When I saw you planned to chamber your new Martini in 17HH I was curious as to how you choose it over the 17AH.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Supporting Member

Default reason for 17HH

Being an undisciplined gunslut I knew I would buy one, just because. I won't insult you with various justifications, the more I think of them the lamer they get. Currently I have 3 17AH's, Cooper, Anschutz 54 and a Martini project I just finished. This was a pre-emptive strike on my part to keep me from plunking down 700.00 on a CZ with canoe paddle wood. I'll have a little more than 800.00 in the Martini and twice the rifle in my eyes. I have the form dies to make brass so ammo availability was not a factor. As for a comparison they are the same to me in performance, again not a factor.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:36 AM

Thanks Chuck. Keep us posted on your Martini project.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:04 AM
Supporting Member

Chuck as a fellow undisciplined gunslut of the first magnitude I did stumble and succumb to my weak willed nature. I give $625.00 for this one.
Factory ammo averages .4's to low .6's for 5 shot groups with most right around 1/2 inch. I hope I can reload ammo that shoots as well as the lot of factory stuff I've got. I'll find out this spring I guess.

Funny how much difference bright sun to overcast shows on this canoe paddle (wink-wink). Doesn't look like the same stock though really.
In all seriousness I'd sure love to have one of those beautiful Martini's but not being a gunsmith there's no way on earth I could own one for even twice or maybe three times what this one cost. Look forward to seeing yours and drooling on the computer screen.

As far as Hornady and lack of ammo production hurting the .17 Hornet I think you're right for sure but with all the demand for everything out there over the last year or two I don't think anyone's more unhappy about it than Hornady is. They are suppose to have the new .17 Hornet brass at any time now I hear. I know I was at my favorite gun dealers store Tuesday and I was actually surprised at how much stuff he really had there for components and ammo. Hopefully this summer will turn things around. The owner of the store said that gun sales had slowed up a lot. Around here it's .22 ammo folks are freaking out over, "BIG-TIME"!!
Don't hold back on them Martini pics!

P.S.
I paid $16.29 a box for the factory ammo I bought at MidSouth a ways back. I think anyone pays those "gouger" prices on the gun websites is just adding to the problem! I'd buy a sack a marbles for my Wrist-Rocket slingshot before I let some dinkus screw me that way . I guess that's easy to say for a guy that can make his own and don't need factory fix'ns.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:04 PM

I got five boxes of 17 Hornet ammo Dec 2012. Got one box of brass from a March 2013 order . One box of brass and five boxes of 17 H ammo are still on back order from the March 2013 order. Good luck
Old 02-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Supporting Member

Default cz wood

Doug, you have the exception and not the rule, you should go buy a lotto ticket. Every now and then someone posts a new CZ with great wood, I just shake my head. My FFL is a small retailer working out of their house and they bought 10 CZ's in 17HH when they first came out, 5 of each model. My thoughts were....finally!, I'm getting a CZ with "above average" wood(notice I'm aiming small). When they arrived we opened them up and I took a double take, looking at the boxes to make sure they weren't stamped Savage. Not surprisingly they sold quick but I didn't take one home...canoe paddles all of them. Nice dense straight grain walnut. Plan B....the Martini.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Supporting Member

Chuck I talked to a guy at CZ a number of years back about the time they dropped all the different stocks available on the 527's. At that time they stopped the "wood upgrade" option as well, you can no longer pay extra for fancy wood. I asked this fella why they did that and his answer actually made sense. He said they were making a lot more customers upset than they were making happy. 3 guys order the same rifle with wood upgrades and when the guns show one guy thinks his buddies stock is better than his and wants CZ to get him a better piece a wood. CZ can't be in charge of peoples opinions of what is attractive in a piece a wood and they dang sure can't be replacing all kinda stocks so they got a bunch a P.O.'d customers .
In the famous words of Pogo the newspaper cartoon, "We have met the enemy and he is us". They decided to make em all equally plain and now only on rare occasion does a fancy one sneak through.
I stumbled into this one once at a gun store in Ronan Montana of all places.

Come to find out CZ made a short run of English walnut stocks, this one was a .22 Hornet and in now a .22 K-Hornet. It was when I called CZ to find out about this rifle the guy told me the story. I think this is a real attractive stock and the picture in no way does it justice, those lateral lines are real consistent on both sides the full length of the stock. It seems however that when guys were ordering English Walnut stocks they thought they oughta look like these that Dan C. and Ric N. are holding at the 2nd Saubier P-Dog shoot. "Neva happen GI"!

As most of us know, ya ain't gonna get stocks like that on a $550.00 rifle. Guy's squawked however and were P.O.'d at CZ so they dropped the whole plan. I stumbled into the one I got by accident and I was tickled pink!
Sorry for all the drivel, it's been running 15 to 30 below zero for the last few days and I'm house bound and a bit bored. Some nice pictures of a few Martini's would help! I was never fortunate enough to have one of those even though I use to see barrels full of em setting by the check-out stand at the local gun stores as a kid, sure wish I'd a bought a couple a those barrels as an investment (Who knew??)!