Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 AM

Default is there a reason to own a 17 hmr

Okay so to ask a gun nut if there is a reason to own a 17 hmr is dumb I know. But if I can reload a 17 hornet or 17 vha cheaper then I can buy 17 hmr ammo which was scarce for a while what is the point? I would imagine some will say for hunting you don't have to focus on finding and picking up brass. Also time is money so reloading eats up time but for me its therapeutic after a long day and I love the satisfaction of rolling my own. I would imagine you could load a center fire down to rim fire velocity if so inclined. So give me your thoughts and reasons. And to say cause I want to or feel like it is a fine answer but redundant. If you had no 17 cal rim fire or center fire would you buy both or one over the other?
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 02-19-2014, 12:41 AM

Default Is there a reason

I guess (redundant I know) to have one. However with that said, I gave up my 17Mach2 and 17HMR and went to the 17 Fireball and 17 VHA, as I can shoot the 17VHA as cheap, do not mind picking up brass and like you, enjoy the reloading side of the sport. The fireball is for times I may want more in a 17 cal. So for me, no on the HMR, I will stick to the VHA. Bill K
Old 02-19-2014, 12:43 AM
Supporting Member

NOT really a RIM fire guy but
I can't think of a good reason not to own a 17 HMR
Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 AM

I sold mine to fund a hornet
Old 02-19-2014, 03:16 AM

I m a 17 caliber fan and have 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Hornet, 17 Fireball, and 17 Remington cartridge rifles. In the spring time when the prairie dog pups first come out there are a lot of shots available within the range of the bullets fired from the 17 HMR and 17 HM2 rifles. I like the accuracy , low recoil and muzzle blast of my 17 rimfire varmint rifles. I ll be using a 17 Hornet CZ Varmint rifle for the first time this coming spring for shots beyond the range of the 17 HMR rifle. I have a limited supply of 17 Hornet ammo so I ll also be using the 17 Fireball rifle. I stopped using 17 Rem after getting the 17 Fireball for shooting p dogs. For longer shots at older p dogs my 204 Ruger rifle is handy to have. For someone living in prairie dog country the 17 HMR is one of the rifles to have.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:47 AM
Supporting Member

Yes and don't have to worry about losing my precious brass going down a pd holethere is just something totality awesome about non stop shooting in a pd town carefree of policing brass every shot. But that's just me...

Of everyone here I have as multiple reasons not to own rf 17s, I have a 17sm( basically a cf 17 hm2), a 17 ccm(hmr sized) multiples17 squirrel, multiples17 ah, one 17 bee, 17 jet 17 ws, multiples17 mach iv and the list goes on but I have never given thought to selling my multiples17 hmrs and hm2s. Hunting at night another good reason for rf.

Sit there and Help a young shooter who shoots say 30-40 young pups running all over and look me straight in the eye and tell me that want worth the 15 bucks you just paid for that box of ammo.

I really not a rf guy, reloading is where its at for me but just way to fun not to own several of each!

See there, I don't need no stink'n purchase mentor. yup, I'm a highly trained self purchasing mentor....
Old 02-19-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
NOT really a RIM fire guy but
I can't think of a good reason not to own a 17 HMR
Not really a rim fire guy here either and I still can't find a good reason own a 17HMR.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:36 AM
Supporting Member

I've spent several afternoons knocking over pds with my 17HMR. That's reason enough for me.
It's there when I need to dispatch a coon, or wood chuck in the neighborhood. in short notice.
The barrel doesn't heat up as fast.
I've got plenty of ammo, so I guess I'll hang onto mine.
I agree they are great to start a youngster out on, especially in a good pd town.
To each his own !

Jim
Old 02-19-2014, 04:49 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuck2 View Post
I m a 17 caliber fan and have 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Hornet, 17 Fireball, and 17 Remington cartridge rifles. In the spring time when the prairie dog pups first come out there are a lot of shots available within the range of the bullets fired from the 17 HMR and 17 HM2 rifles. I like the accuracy , low recoil and muzzle blast of my 17 rimfire varmint rifles. I ll be using a 17 Hornet CZ Varmint rifle for the first time this coming spring for shots beyond the range of the 17 HMR rifle. I have a limited supply of 17 Hornet ammo so I ll also be using the 17 Fireball rifle. I stopped using 17 Rem after getting the 17 Fireball for shooting p dogs. For longer shots at older p dogs my 204 Ruger rifle is handy to have. For someone living in prairie dog country the 17 HMR is one of the rifles to have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
Yes and don't have to worry about losing my precious brass going down a pd holethere is just something totality awesome about non stop shooting in a pd town carefree of policing brass every shot. But that's just me...

Of everyone here I have as multiple reasons not to own rf 17s, I have a 17sm( basically a cf 17 hm2), a 17 ccm(hmr sized) multiples17 squirrel, multiples17 ah, one 17 bee, 17 jet 17 ws, multiples17 mach iv and the list goes on but I have never given thought to selling my multiples17 hmrs and hm2s. Hunting at night another good reason for rf.

Sit there and Help a young shooter who shoots say 30-40 young pups running all over and look me straight in the eye and tell me that want worth the 15 bucks you just paid for that box of ammo.

I really not a rf guy, reloading is where its at for me but just way to fun not to own several of each!

See there, I don't need no stink'n purchase mentor. yup, I'm a highly trained self purchasing mentor....

Well said by both of you. In my opinion there is no such thing as a useless or redundant caliber. All guns are just way too much fun and as long as I don't run out of space to store them my goal is to have or have had one of every one ever made, rimfire, centre fire, flintlock or percussion.

They are all literally a blast to own. If it was just about what makes sense I could get by with three guns, a 22 Rf, a 375 H&H and a 12 gauge, but what the hell fun would that be?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:05 AM

I'm mostly a hide hunter, coon, red fox and coyotes. I use a certain cal. or cartridge for all of them as one doesn't do all.. The 17 HMR has its place with right bullet choice and used mainly for coon and red fox and reduced loads is not an option in another cartridge. Fast and flat along with minimum hide damage I say...