Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-11-2014, 05:33 PM

Default Leather Conditioning

I'm trying to help out an old buddy who has some container Straps he wants to rejuvenate . Here's the problem : there are some 50 or 60 year old Leather Straps which look pretty Dry and not very Flexible . The Leather attaches to Metal or some type of very tough Material which feels like a tough , pretty rigid Canvas . I want to make the Leather more supple so that it will last decades more and also be more pliable where it buckles up . I have access to a lot of different Leather Treatments , and have tried a lot of stuff on Leather Slings . I always seem to end up with Slings which feel greasy and have a dark Wet look . Is there any Product I can use to avoid this feel & look , and still end up with nice old rejuvenated Leather ? I intend to use Tooth Brushes to keep the Conditioner located only to the Leather Straps so that it does not bleed into the Canvas Type Material .
Old 04-11-2014, 05:46 PM

I have decent results using a product called Lexol for fine heavy (read thick) leather items, like briefcases, belts, etc. It is an emulsion, not a grease. I found it best to spread on and let it dry for a while and then rub/burnish the item with a dry cotton towel. It will feel a little greasy at first, but after a few days, it will dry out and feel great.

I have only used grease based preparations/waterproofing (Pecards) for leather boots. I am sure there are lots of newer conditioners out there now.

For lighter weight leathers, like cars seats, I like Meguiars leather conditioner. YMMV.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 PM

+1 on the Lexol products. Don't forget good old Saddle Soap, either.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Supporting Member

Lexol makes several good products, but the one I like best has 10% neatsfoot oil in it. I have used that product for a couple decades to treat leather seats in both my & my customer's cars with great results. It brings back old, dry leather pretty well with a couple applications. Seems like it works best if I 1st wipe down the leather with a warm, damp cloth - like that opens the pores in the leather for better penetration. Hope this helps a little; old leather is tough to deal with.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:23 PM

Just straight neatsfoot oil until it is softened up, it will soak up a lot of it. Larry
Old 04-11-2014, 11:46 PM

I use Montana Pitch Blend on my riding leathers. Its an excellent oil with a little pine pitch mixed in which makes it smell really good. I use it on boots and baseball gloves too.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Around 20yrs ago I bought a bottle of "leather oil".
Not sure now what it was made of.
But, soaked a 3" wide gun/ammo belt n loops with it.
Maybe a yr later the leather was rotted and I had to
toss it and have another made.
This time I had the loops sewn with those elastic bands
used to make boot top pulls with. Tight enough to hold
.30 carbine shells, yet they'll even hold .45 Colts too.
So far I haven't put anything on this leather.

Good luck,

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 04-12-2014, 02:30 PM

I've used neat feets oil, and other paste to condition leather. Usually use to seal my leather holsters after I've made them, to seal it and protect the leather from the elements. Seems to work fine. A little water before the application may be good. Leather has pores, and if you get it wet somehow the water helps to draw the chemical deeper into the leather. When I dye them, I wet the leather first, apply dye over it and it soaks in deeper and better. Using water usually means only 2 coats of dye instead of 4. Just a thought.
I wouldn't soak it but maybe put some water on a sponge an rub it over the leather. be sure to treat it after you wet it though, once dried it may crack.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 04-12-2014, 04:46 PM

Obenauf's Leather Care - very good stuff. Best to place the items to be treated in the sun to warm them up a bit (black plastic bag works great). Treat - and place it back in the bag and let it soak in. Buff off the excess with a cotton rag.