Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 PM

Default cooper single shots

It's not just you, I would have a Cooper or two, if they made repeaters in the cartridges I want.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:27 PM

I don't have the money. If I did I would prefer a repeater.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 04-19-2014, 10:30 PM

I'm with Ken158 single shot not an issue. On a side note when I was shooting groundhogs with the cooper classic single shot in 204 cal. that I got from Ken I saw 2 groundhogs, one on a log about 4' off the ground and one on the ground below. I was able to get them both. I will take accuracy over speed anytime. As stated by others cooper makes a repeater they just cost more.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:49 PM

No problems here with single shots or Coopers. Some of us even put Score High followers in repeaters to make it easier to shoot them as single shots. I need to get a couple of Calhoon adapters for my CZs also, but have been putting off buying those, as they are more walk about rifles.

Last edited by TinMan; 04-21-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 PM
Supporting Member

Oh my...........

I own several Cooper single shot rifles as well as a couple of the repeaters, and for a fact I will bet anyone up 1960 from me that I can get all of the money I have in each of them back plus a nice dividend on each one.

Cooper Arms is now owned and operated by the Wilson Barrel folks (Hugo Vivera) and Dan Cooper is and has been gone from the premises for years.

Someone needs to Google-fu and update their "What can I stir up stuff about next and hopefully sound intelligent while doing it?" list................

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-19-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:25 AM

Default I only need one shot

Short time Cooper owner, but I've found I don't need a quick follow up shot. Coopers are so accurate you don't miss. I can single shot load and fire five rounds just as quickly as I can load 5 into the mag and get them off in a repeater.

I probably won't ever own a Cooper big game hunting rifle. When a trophy buck or bull are in my sights I want a quick follow up. But for varmints I always favor a single shot rifle and Coopers fit that bill nicely.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:12 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Johnson View Post
not to get off topic, how do you like James follower, my brother just got a cheap plastic one, seems to work well
James followers are made of steel and blued, very solid and obviously well made. I'm sure the plastic ones work as well but I don't personally care for plastic compared to blued steel. Costs a lot more I'm sure but then a prime cut rib-eye steak costs a lot more than a hotdog too, both'll plug the hole but I'll spend the extra money on the steak .
Old 04-20-2014, 11:16 AM

For spring prairie dog pup shooting my magazine fed Cooper 57 M 17 HM2 and 17 HMR are the rifles I use. I have extra magazines for each rifle that are loaded before I go out. I added a CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet rifle with three extra magazines this year for p dog shooting. I dident even look at the Cooper rifles because I dident wont to spend two or more SS checks to get a Cooper rifle with a Leupold scope. I have shot mule deer with Ruger B-1 single shot 243 Win and 25-06 Rem rifles. I would gotten a Cooper but they cost more than I wont to spend and I think that I can reload the falling block Ruger faster than the single shot bolt action. One reason that there is not a rack full of Cooper rifles in my home is that I like eating too.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:11 PM

This discussion could go at least one step further . Why stop at a Bolt Action and not go Semi-auto on something like an AR Platform . They can be made plenty accurate with the right selection of components . It's individual choice ! My favorite Pdog Rig is an old Rem 700 with an Aluminum Single Shot Adapter , even though I have my choice of other accurate Rifles . Heck , I even like my old Front Focus Leupold even though I have more Modern Scopes to pick from . Works for me ..... to each his own !
Old 04-20-2014, 01:49 PM

There -as we see on this topic- are people that LUV them or HATE them it seems like no middle ground.
I was fortunate to be one of the very 1st Cooper Dealers when Dan was running it pretty much "Hands-On" and it was a great company.
I have a Model 36 that I purchased with a personalized Serial Number and sent it to them recently for a tune-up . They reblued it and did some other small modifications with that and returned shipping was $125 ( 50 of it was for the shipping) they even enclosed a test target.
I personally think the company has gotten a little too big for the personal touch that we are accustomed to with Cooper.
I am NOT a "Pretty Wood" guy unless I could find a "Deal" on one I would NOT purchase one.
Their pricing has gotten in the area of Kustom Rifles and being me I would have one built with a QUAILTY barrel for the same amount of $$.

Jim