Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-27-2020, 01:15 PM

Default Lee APP Press ??

I guess I may be again the last guy to know but just discovered the APP press this past week while roaming through the reloading suppliers web pages.

I bought 300 pounds of range brass last year with a lot of it being various 5.56x45, 7.62x51, 7.62x39 (I separate out the berdan primer stuff), .45 ACP and 9x19 cases at 20 cents a pound.

From what I read about this press, it looks just like what I was have been looking for to deprime and swage the crimps on military brass. For those of you that have these presses is this the way you use your presses, will it stand up to this type of work. It seems to be really well designed.

Thank you in advance.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 08-27-2020, 02:11 PM

Have not checked out the press you are talking about and how it should stand up to de-crimping brass, etc.
But my Old RCBS Rock chucker with the RCBS de-crimp die, with fittings for both large or small cases, with crimps, has done thousands of military brass and is still going strong. Bill K
Old 08-27-2020, 02:30 PM

I am going to try to be very delicate here as I am just short of a Lee Product hater after 40 years of using and selling Lee products. The only Lee products I currently use are the Martini and Snider dies, and even then only one die for certain limited operations.

I do not have one of these APP tool.

Looking at the pictures I would not be inclined acquire and try. The "press" is a C press and that type of press-from anyone has a history of not being very rigid when used for high stress operation such as decapping crimped primers, case forming, even full length resizing. I can't tell how the pocket swage works.

Added to the weak C press design is Lee's use of pot metal and cast zinc in stressed parts. Low strength and low durability.

For $4 more I would order Dillion's pocket swager and continue using your "O" press for decapping. This would also take up less room on the loading bench.

It would be a good "wring out" of that Lee tool to run all 300 lbs of that brass and see what if anything breaks. Prove me wrong.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:22 PM
Supporting Member

Lowell I have one just for de priming cases. Only done maybe 1000 cases so far to test it out when I got it. Lee makes a pass thru shell holder but I use a standard shell holder. I have several caliber specific de capping dies with the quick change bushing. I de prime one at a time, the plastic automated parts I'm not a fan of. Catching the spent primer is as good as it gets. I can't speak to the crimped in primers , I don't use that kind of brass. Being open I can insert and remove cases quickly, no so with many presses. This winter it will get a better test.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:10 PM

I have used the RCBS de-crimper die for years and it works fine. It is used on an old Herter's C press, but it is around 40+ lbs of cast iron and steel, and no plastic anywhere except the grip on the lever.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
I have used the RCBS de-crimper die for years and it works fine. It is used on an old Herter's C press, but it is around 40+ lbs of cast iron and steel, and no plastic anywhere except the grip on the lever.
Is your Herter's the single or double ram, as mine is ? I have had this super heavy press since around 1955 and it is still plugging away. No plastic on it, even on the handle.. They were super well built presses. Bill K
Old 08-27-2020, 06:21 PM

Just a single ram, but I also have a converter to use RCBS shell-holders on it. Dark brown crinkle finish paint, which looks factory. I didn't like the bicycle grip on the lever, so I turned down and threaded the end to use a black ball gear shift knob, just like my Dillon 550B. A friend gave it to me back in the early 90's since he was no longer interested in reloading. Pretty much do only decrimping, depriming and some neck sizing on it and do all other ops on the 550B.

Been watching all the wildfires again. My son is currently evacuated from the CZU Lightning fire right now. So far, his home is okay. Lots of anxiety, for sure.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Just a single ram, but I also have a converter to use RCBS shell-holders on it. Dark brown crinkle finish paint, which looks factory. I didn't like the bicycle grip on the lever, so I turned down and threaded the end to use a black ball gear shift knob, just like my Dillon 550B. A friend gave it to me back in the early 90's since he was no longer interested in reloading. Pretty much do only decrimping, depriming and some neck sizing on it and do all other ops on the 550B.

Been watching all the wildfires again. My son is currently evacuated from the CZU Lightning fire right now. So far, his home is okay. Lots of anxiety, for sure.
I put the RCBS converter on it also, so I can use standard shell holders.

FIRES ??? My area is really completely surrounded by fires, from a few acres to several over 25, 000 and growing. Very smoky and many areas have evacuation wanings or mandatory evac. Not a good year here in N.E. Ca. and even down south and the coastal areas have some big fires going.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:34 AM

I just got one. I processed about a thousand 40/45/9 and 38 cases - VERY quickly. I used it to resize, deprime, bulge bust, and case mouth flaring. It worked very well with only a few hiccups, I will use it for 44mag soon and 30 carbine when I get a carbide sizing die.

I did not get it with the intention of full length sizing 223/7.62 brass due to having to lube them. I think depriming and swaging rifle brass would work, but FL sizing.... I don't know.

I do know it will FL size straight wall pistol brass as fast as you can pull the handle!! I bought the 4 tube switcher and quick fill funnel thingy to keep from having to stop to refill the tube!

For 75 bucks it's worth a try.