Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Supporting Member

Default Had a Good Day

I stopped an old hardware store that is still a gun shop, saw there ad on a resturant place mat. Awesome place, old stuff hanging everywhere, roughly 25 muzzle loaders and side by sides hanging high on the wall, I asked the gentleman if those where for sale, he said no those are the owners guns that he collects. He said go upstairs if you want to see the guns for sale. I was looking at there huge rifle ammo selection and I ask, any chance you have 17 Mach 2 ammo, he started to say no but a coworker said yes, there's 2 bricks on the floor beneath the shelves. It was Hornady ammo and marked $6.99 a box. I thought this was a fair price, so it came along home with me. (Now Doug, don't tell me you used to buy it for less than that) I felt a little guilty asking if I could buy both, but after asking him twice, I bought them both. Didn't want to be classed as a hoarder as a few guys on here seem to be
Went upstairs, found a couple nice rifles, Sako P94S and a Tikka 595 308 cartridge both in the brown adjustable competition stocks. Thought of the gentleman who owns a Tikka like this on the board. Then I spied 3 XP100's hanging from the ceiling and before it was all said and done, they have a down payment on XP 100 in 22PPC. What a day
I apologize for the long post,
Stan
Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 PM

Sounds like time well spent
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post
(Now Doug, don't tell me you used to buy it for less than that)
Didn't want to be classed as a hoarder as a few guys on here seem to be
Stan
It was a little less Stan but only $4.00 per box . Is buying 15,000 rounds considered hoarding???
Of course that was in the fall of 2007 or 2008 I think and the store owner woulda delivered it to my door at that price cause he had a TON of it and it wasn't selling. He'd ordered large on guns and ammo expecting another HMR experience and at that time it was already apparent that the .17 M2 was (with all due respect) a commercial flop !!! I believe CDNN was selling Eley for the same price at that time.
As I've said repeatedly I was an original 5MM Mag buyer and I'd been through this drill before. I guarantee ya if I didn't like this round so much ain't no way I'd a spent that kinda money on rimfire ammo.
Sounds like to me you scored "large" yourself Stan "Wink-Wink"!!
Old 01-15-2014, 12:02 AM
Administrator

And the name of the shop and location is??? Lol
Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 AM
Supporting Member

Stan, I have read about those old hardware stores you have over there, seen them on some tv shows. I would love to do a tour of the US just going into these outback stores & car yards. Find a lovely old pick up truck driven to church on sudays by a lil old lady, like Martin, I also have a dream

Johno
Old 01-15-2014, 01:09 AM
Supporting Member

Back when It was just cheap to buy it in bulk I was getting it for $3.75 a box for Eley to my door! Wasn't hoarding but did end up with 18K rounds before the Wife thought that was enough!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 AM
Supporting Member

Default Talking about hoarding!

Doug & Majestic,
you guys are cruel, thought I might soon be able to officially join the hoarders club, now I find I'm a long ways off, only about 6,000 rounds. Well I'll have to keep working on it, planning to start my 8 year old son off with a Mach 2 when he hits 10, so we might need a few more bricks. Of course if we only do tree squirrels and groundhogs and don't cave into going out west to the prairie dog fields, we might be good for a while.
cestner,
This hardware store is located in the Lehigh Valley of Pa. Probably not a good enough hint?
Stan
Old 01-15-2014, 03:30 AM
Supporting Member

It's only Hoarding if everyone is looking for something, unable to find it and you buy way more of it than you need! That's Hoarding GRRRR!!
On the other hand, if something is on sale every where with adequate or an over abundance of supplies and you buy large at a discounted price, that my friend is called "Shrewd Preparation For The Future" and I stand "Guilty as charged Sir"! From the price he paid for the Eley including freight (I bought mine local) I figure MrMajestic stands guilty of the same charges I do .
Old 01-15-2014, 06:36 AM

Hey Johno, wanna Ford F350, 300 Blue Canadian motor and fitted with a 17' timber deck tray ?
Pete
Old 01-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Supporting Member

To big Pete, what I would love is a dodge warlock, or a nice late 50s chev, ford or studebaker champ ute

Johno