Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-19-2014, 03:34 AM

Default 17 HH reloading help

Guys, looking for a little help on reloading the 17 HH. I am currently using Lil Gun because it is the only powder I have to play with. I am loading Hornady 20 grain V-Max with 9.7 grains, starting load, in Hornady 9th edition. They are a little stiff at extraction and are leaving marks around the perimeter of the rim. Firing Hornady factory loads extract easily and without any marks. Question is should I keep reducing powder measurement to below starting loads or give up on Lil Gun? I hope to find AA1680 or 2200. Head space is back off of fired, cases trimmed, powder measured to the 100th, OAL the same as factory, 1.715. Any insight? Thanks.

Last edited by magranch; 02-23-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:49 AM

Default 17 hh

Even tho Hodgdon shows that load as a start load, it seems it is showing pressure signs in your rifle/chamber. I would back off to 9.4 and see how that worked. Lilgun is a touchy powder. Be safe. Bill K
Old 02-19-2014, 03:19 PM

When I started loading LG I my AH, I followed data someone else had worked with. He started at 9gr. and so did I - without any problems at all.
In my CZ .17AH barrel, I found a max at 10.4gr. in RP brass, 10.3gr. in WW brass and am now using 10.2gr. in my Pac-Nor barrel with perfect results in both brass makes - with practically the identical speeds.

I am not surprised you are finding some pressure signs at 9.7gr. in that smaller HH case - it happens - especially with Hodgdon listing only .3gr. more as max.

Seating depth, size of chamber, shape & length of throat - your scale - your barrel - your lot number of powder - all different than theirs. 3/10's is not much difference.

I'd start at about 9.2gr. and then proceed from there. A chronograph is helpful when developing loads for your rifle.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:47 PM

I tried using Lilgun in my 17A/H and started at 9.5gr i had about 10 normal shots but the no 11 with same load sounded like a 50cal with no silencer muzzel lift was very bad a jet of flame out of the action and i never found the head of the case it took me a long time to get the remaines of the case out of the chamber.
I wont use Lilgun ever again i just gave about 3 kg away for loading a .410 shotgun.
I use 120.
Wally
Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 PM

GHD should pop up on this thread cause he has done extensive re-loading for his 17HH. I have shot his gun with factory and reloads and pretty sure 1680 ended up being his powder of choice. I would be happy with either - but he is never happy if all bullets are not in the same hole...
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 PM

I have been fireforming R-P cases with Li'lGun and show pressure signs at both 10grs and 9.8 grains. This has also been splitting my cases at about 10% loss. Primers were more than flat but my chamber is pretty tight and the barrel seems to be fast. This is all done with 20 grain v-maxes In my rifle I would not load 10 grains again, it is just too hot. Chrono showed about 3750 15 feet from the muzzle with 10 grains of Li'lGun.

Tonight I will load up some 1680 and see what it does.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 02-20-2014, 12:56 AM

splitting cases? as in lengthwise? necks? around the shoulder?

I had some cases split around the shoulder when I was fireforming with Bullseye until I increased the load by 1/2 to 1 gr. Kenny's data.

In my Ackley Hornet, I use the same load for fireforming as loading in formed brass. I have never lost a case with this method and loads used. Note, this is an Ackley Hornet, not a HornHornet.

My loads give me 3,925fps in formed brass with 20gr. and just under 3,900fps when forming - that is in both WW and RP. With 25gr., they are running 3,640fps which is the same velocity I get with AA1680 when I have some. It is not available here now. Even though the local WSSports gets VV in, they do not bring in VV 120- they say- can't get it. Their VV rifle powders are $44.99 per pound.

I have NEVER had a problem with LG - a puzzler why others have?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:45 PM

I haven't used lg but AA1680 and VV N110 have worked very well. Got to 3550fps with each without any issues
Old 02-20-2014, 07:04 PM

Here is a photo of a couple of split cases and a unfireformed 17HH from a 22 hornet R-P brass.

Here is a close up of a sectioned case. It looks like one side of the case is either thinner than the other or has been stretched more.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 02-21-2014, 01:19 AM

Those are weird splits - and have nothing to do with the powder, by their appearance.
I've seen that types of split before - but only when fireforming some .348's out to .45/75 using black powder. The over .020" expansion seemed too much for the few that split out of 40 that fireformed just fine. We figured the brass was too hard. Had nothing to do with the powder. Maybe a batch of bad brass? 1st I've seen in RP. Have some WW that was overly brittle, though.