Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-22-2014, 12:21 PM

Default 17 HH brass/ammo

Some time ago there was quite a bit of talk about new brass and ammo for the 17 HH from Hornady. I have not seen anything lately. Does anyone know the current status?

Tom
Old 02-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Supporting Member

I think it is still someplace between lost and found. Have been seeing expected shipments for the end of Feb. couple different places.

Tom
Old 02-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17hh ammo

The loaded ammo is going for approx. 2.00-2.25/rnd on gunbroker but not a lot of auctions. I haven't seen the brass anywhere so don't have a clue. This ambitious seller has a buy it now at over 3.00/rnd.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=395592916
Old 02-22-2014, 09:19 PM
Supporting Member

I talked with a person at Hornady quite some time back and Feb. was the TOT, gonna have to happen quick?
As to that auction, I been hanging around this site for a good number of years, way before the big crash of 2006. My experience tells me there is no one on this site "stupid" enough to by .17 Hornet ammo for $40.00 a box which is probably the staked pocket batch to boot .
It is gonna hit the stores in due time like say board sponsor Mid-South.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...ortItem=Newest

Have to be either way rich or simple, possibly both to let that gouger have his way with ya . Sure hope that gouger ain't a board member but on the off chance he is I really hope he reads this post .
Old 02-26-2014, 11:24 AM

When I first read about the 17 H Hornet cartridge I knew I wonted a rifle. So in Dec 2012 I got five boxes of HH ammo at Cabelas. In March 2013 I ordered five boxes of ammo and two boxes of brass from Midsouth. They shipped one box of brass. The ammo and one box of brass is still on back order. The HH rifle was as hard to find. In April 2013 the local gun shop call the wholesalers and none had a CZ or Ruger in stock. Checked with Cabelas at various times . In Dec 2013 I called CZ and was given a dealers name that may have a 17 Hornet. On Dec 30 2013 I got a CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet rifle. Got a Leupold 4-12 AO scope and rings the last week in January 14. So I m all set up to try out the rifle but it has ben to darn cold or windy with snow to even get the rifle sited in at 100 yards. I have called Hornady a few times in 2013 and in Jan 2014 but did not get an any date when they my be shipping any ammo or brass. I m lucky to have some ammo and brass. After shooting the 125 each factory ammo and with 50 each brass I ll have 175 empty cases . If I can reload the brass five time I can shoot the rifle 875 times with reloads , 125 times with Hornady so for prairie dog shooting and developing reloads I m set up for 900 shots. When ever Midsouth sends the back order I ll be set up for an other 900 shots.. That may sound like a lot of shooting , but I m retired ,my thing is shooting prairie dogs which takes a lot of ammo.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 PM

I have a bag of brass on back order at midway. it said they expect a shipment end of the month, so we will see if it shows up.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM

In the UK brass in on sale for the equivalent of $96 per 100 + ship.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Supporting Member

Now Midway is showing brass due May this year and ammo August this year, better not hold or breath had we.

Tom
Old 02-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Spoke to Hornady on Monday and was told they are waiting on shipment of brass. All brass will be used for loaded ammo, none will be sent out as component item. They will continue to stake ammo.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:36 PM

So I would take from that then, that they have not fixed or dont feel comfortable with the primer pockets? I wonder if this is going to be a continued issue or at some point will they no longer stake production ammo.