Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
I'm actually in the process of testing one of the Idleback Chairs. I took it up to NE California for a ground squirrel hunt and will be heading to Texas with it soon. I'll have a full write-up upon my return mid-April. In the meantime, I will have an initial report in a couple of days. It is a very well built and thought out platform.

Eric

I don't see it as trying to replace a good swivel bench, out of the truck my BR pivot is as good as it gets.

I DO see it working well for the little out of the way places, maybe hunting off a 4 wheeler or on foot, depending on how much it weighs. I think it has good potential. Will be interested in what Eric thinks about it.

Shooting out of a buddy's hitch mounted yote swivel chair in TX helped me realize how steady you can be with some kind of front rest and an elbow rest. Works very well.

Sure would beat lying on the ground shooting prone.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Supporting Member

That was my draw to this set-up, throwing it over my shoulder (when collapsed) and walking it in to areas that are away from the roads, or within orchards, etc. Before trying this out, I would carry a Dead-Shot Field Pod, a collapsible chair, my video camera, tripod, rifle, ammo, etc. I can hang my rangefinder off one of the knobs, pop a couple of boxes of ammo in front of the seat and be comfortable. The only downside I've found is stability for long (150+ yard) shots, but that isn't an issue for most of my situations.

I also have a bench made by Bill ? Troutman that advertised his back in the first or second issue of the Varmint Hunter Magazine. Unfortunately, he passed away right after sending a few of the tables out (including mine):

I also have one of the Caldwell Stable Tables.

More on the Idleback will be coming soon!

Eric
Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for checking it out Eric, let us know when ya post your results. My main concern from just seeing the photo is the lack of a rest for both elbows. We all do things different and that would be a problem for the way I shoot. Looking forward to your take .
When I have to walk I have a set of collapsible shooting sticks that hang in a little holster from my belt and an adjustable, three legged milking stool sorta thing. Don't weigh nothing and it works pretty good too.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:34 AM
Supporting Member

I normally use a Dead-Shot Field Pod with a foldable chair, but it is too much to carry. The Idleback can be carried pretty easily, but not too far, with just a strap over my shoulder. I was putting my left-hand under my chin on my right arm. It worked out well.

I also just picked-up one of the Stable Tables (inexpensive version of the BR Pivot) and it has loads of room for my typical field set-up:

I just have to figure out where to drill the hole for my video camera head.

Eric
Old 03-27-2014, 03:01 AM

I like this discussion about tables but would love to have a discussion about video cameras to use to film some shots. I tried our camera from home but it was shaky which I don't think is the camera as much as the head on the tripod.

Anyone want to comment?
Old 03-27-2014, 03:10 AM
Supporting Member

If your camera has image stabilization, but you have it locked down on a quality tripod, you need to turn it off or it will bounce around. Also, try not to use the digital zoom, as it moves too much and degrades the image.

There is an entire thread behind filming your hunts, with Seben Camera Mounts and Camcorder Mounts that go behind your scope (you aim with the crosshairs on your screen & they are mostly used by airgunners), to regular video cameras that you just put next to you on a good tripod. The only issue is, your # of kills will drop immensely because you are constantly messing with the camera. Don't ask me how I know...

Eric
Old 03-27-2014, 03:52 AM

Default I'm not so sure after looking at the pix of that rest.

I sure looks large, cumbersome (agreed, I haven't seen it folded but a lot to pivot in, swing around, lock into place) if made hvy enough then too heavy for most of us 60+ who ain't in the best of shape, plus a bag even if filled with rice, then the gun and ammo....and water.....I mean why tote that several hunnert yards for a half dozen shots. As far as transporting on a 'wheeler, I'm sure it can be secured but then you need a trailer or else a p/u with large enough bed, then ramps.

It looks like a first class build but that has to equate into large $$........for less than handy/stable as we would like.

I'll be the first to admit, a truly portable, stable bench is a tough nut to crack - and I have done my share of designing over the years.

Maybe a helium balloon & harness with just a tad under zero gravity and just float everything to where we needed it?? I'm sure the prairie winds would lay down and cooperate 95% of the time - right??

I do have a Bud who, being a horseman and liked his mules, told me he rode into a dog field that was 5 miles x 10 miles. Couldn't get there by vehicle. I didn't think to ask how many pack animals he had or what all he carried. This was abt 20 or so years "back in the day".

Last edited by TAJ45; 03-27-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:11 AM

I'd have to agree with TAJ45

That looks like the kind of contraption that I would get tangled up in and it would end up on top of me on the ground. Lots of stuff to adjust, tweak and set up before you could actually use it. It's not quite Rube Goldberg but it looks close.

Also, the way the single rifle rest sits way out front, you couldnt leave a rifle resting in it and get up and walk away without the whole thing hitting the ground, rifle and all. Looks like you would almost have to keep one hand on the rifle at all times with the other searching for binos or ammo that's not in a handy location. It's not my thing for sure, especially for that price.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Before I got crippled up so I can't get down any longer..
I took a plastic seat off one of those light wt chairs w/pipe
legs, took the legs off, riveted a pair of 2" wide shoulder
straps and used it w/rifle on bipod for coyotes and many
hours of p'doggin. Weighs less than two pounds.
With a partner along to help me stand up I've even bagged
and tied two coyotes to the seat and carried them out to the
truck.

It just sits flat on the ground, has a back as part of the seat.
You've all seen 'em many a time. This one had a broken leg
when I happened to be thinking of a way to sit and have back
support which I've got to have. Also put a canvas canteen cover
on the back to hold a small can of flea spray, some trash bags and
bungie cords/rope etc. Amazing how much can be stuffed inside that
thing.

Sitting in it, IF I want to lean back like in a recliner, just tilt back and do it.
Very comfortable and keeps my butt off the cold icy, or muddy ground w/stickers or cactus too.
Heck of it is now I can't get down very easy and it's nearly impossible for me to get back up.

I welded up a swivel chair/table set up in four pcs that would work great. Haven't had it out yet, but, have set in it in the shop several times. Used another of those plastic chairs and 1" light steel tubing, pc of 1/2"? plywood I think it is, cut the right size. had my camera and all the cards of yrs worth of pictures stolen, so no way to show it now.

Made the base with a 4' cross, center tube, table slips into that, the chair tube slips into a socket on the table leg. Don't take two minutes to set it up.
No way to carry it though, might weigh 20lbs in all. Even welded a socket on back the chair for an umbrella to stick in. Never got one of those yet though.

Good thread, some good ideas shown.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 03-27-2014, 04:01 PM

You can't always tell by looking at a rest , how it will actually perform . Since I can't shoot prone and easily get up , I mostly used a very sturdy Shooting Bench anyone could stand on . I use a fold-up lawn chair and BR Type Rifle Rest and it works fine if you don't have to move more than once or twice a day , and you have someone along to help . I have used Sand-bags on the Roof or hood of a car , and this was OK too as long as you lay down an old blanket to protect the paint . You should have seen the looks on the Ranchers faces when they saw my HO Camaro ...way off road ....I was always careful to beat it out if rain threatened . My favorite way to go Pdogging is to walk ( when I can ) and shoot . My stand-up Tripod is Rube Goldberg , and does'nt look very stable , but it is . Base is a cheap wooden Telescope Tri-pod . Had a friend make me an Vertical Aluminum extension tube and attach the old Telescope Yoke to the top . I then use Foam and Electrical tape to make sure the Rifle Forend just fits snuggly . I use the front of the Sling to pull down on , and with the Hart Heavy Barrel , shots up to 400 Yards or so are pretty easy . The wind out West is the real factor to contend with as this outfit works really well when the winds are down ( usually less than 25% of the time ) out West in my experience . Due to medical problems and the tough trip out to find decent places to shoot , I may have taken my last trip for Pdogs , but it sure was fun ...especially in the "old days ".

Last edited by xring; 03-27-2014 at 04:03 PM.