Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2014, 04:06 AM

Default .17 WSM in May GUNS Magazine...

Holt Bodinson, really hammers the B-Mag. A bad review for sure. He wants a better rifle for the cartridge. Where oh where is that single shot...
Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 AM

Two weeks ago at the range, a guy was trying to get one to shoot. Shot it with a tuner and without. Best groups at 100 yds. were shotgun patterns. To say he was disgusted would be an understatement. To produce something that bad in today's firearms market is almost impossible to believe. As an aside, I am helping a buddy reload for his Savage .270. Nice gun with a dollar fifty blow molded stock. Having said all that, it looks like the BEAN COUNTERS have taken over Savage and for my $$, they are off the list.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:42 PM

I haven't read too many good reports on the SS Bmag either. The original is far from impresive, flimsy stock and the barrel isn't much better.

The ammo doesn't help, I shot 15 rounds through the magnetospeed and had a SD of 75 and have found a few with messed up necks so quality control at Winchester must have gone on vacation
Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C. Kitchens View Post
Holt Bodinson, really hammers the B-Mag. A bad review for sure.
As he should, that thing is a complete POS. I've seen some inexpensive rifles that had some things going for them generally shot well. That BMag hasn't a single thing going for it.

I can see the interest in the cartridge but I can't see spending my own hard earned money on a hack job of a rifle the BMag is.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:07 PM

It will be interesting to see how the heavy barreled SS B-g shoots. What bugs me the most, is the fact I know they make very good for the 93 in 17HMR, but these are obviously junk. I really like Savage rifles, but this one really no so much. I wonder too about the purchase by ATK, and if it will be the best thing for Savage in the long run. How can anyone think that design was a good one, or it would sell. WW ammo, does not help the case.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Here's a damage control suggestion for Savage: If you have any hope of keeping your main business going, buy back all of these 17WSSMs, give the purchasers a certificate redeemable for a different Savage firearm, send them to the melt shop, and write it off as a bad investment. If you don't, these rifles will shadow the rest of your lineup and cause you to lose more sales than your original investment in this loser. After this fiasco and seeing spotty quality control on Savage rifles I, for one, will NEVER buy a Savage.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
Here's a damage control suggestion for Savage: If you have any hope of keeping your main business going, buy back all of these 17WSSMs, give the purchasers a certificate redeemable for a different Savage firearm, send them to the melt shop, and write it off as a bad investment. If you don't, these rifles will shadow the rest of your lineup and cause you to lose more sales than your original investment in this loser. After this fiasco and seeing spotty quality control on Savage rifles I, for one, will NEVER buy a Savage.
I took a chance and bought a Savage 11 in 223 after going through the BS with the Bmag. The model 11 is a good shooter even with factory ammo, although it may have been made before ATK took control

Here is a pic of one of the messed up cartridges, the ammo is part of the problem
Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 PM

Catch me up fellas what is atk?
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 AM

ATK is a conglomerate that is buying up everything and anything related to the sport shooting industry in addition to being a major defense contractor. They got us coming and going. I owned their stock last year and sold it WAY too early.

Bushnell, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle, Alliant Powder, RCBS, Champion Target, Final Approach, Gunslick Pro, Primos, Bollé, Outers, Hoppe’s, Uncle Mike’s, Butler Creek and Weaver Optics, Federal Premium, CCI, Fusion, Speer Ammo, Speer Bullets, Estate Cartridge and Blazer are SOME of their companies.

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 03-28-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:16 AM

A guy just bought a scope from me, so I agreed to mount it & sight it in for him on his Savage B-Mag. Absolutely the worst piece of crap rifle I have ever handled. Savage should be ashamed of themselves and all the guys writing good reviews for this piece of shit should be banished from the gun community. The action & magazine are, if fact, are not a bad design & fairly good, but the rest of the rifle, stock, barrel, etc are absolutely garbage. That's what you get for $295. Damn shame that NO RILE MAKERS will make a rifle worthy of the cartridge. Looks like the 17 WSM is doomed. How stupid is Winchester to introduce a new round & not have a decent rifle to promote it with. The Low Wall they offer appears to be an afterthought & is a toy rifle, more suited to children & cost near $1500. You have to be kidding me. These holding companies & lawyers running gun companies is going to be are sports demise.