Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2017, 10:47 PM

Default Ruger Rotary Mag. Rifles Discontinued

Some of you may already know this , but I just came across it in Rifle Magazine . Seems about 4 Months ago , Ruger announced that they were " temporarily" discontinuing all Rimfire and Centerfire Bolt Action Rifles that utilize the Rotary Magazine which many shooters like . That means the 77/22 , 77/17 , 77/357 , etc . What "temporarily" means is any ones guess . So if you were considering buying one of these , start shopping the Classifieds .
Old 01-31-2017, 02:05 AM

Default Rugers

Interesting.
I have owned a few and found that the rotary mag was great. However the accuracy of all that I owned was pitiful. Sold all of mine.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:57 AM
Supporting Member

Back in about 88 I had a friend with a 10-22 shooting American Eagle .22 Long Rifle ammo that blew almost half in two out through the magazine for some never figured out reason?? He called Ruger and told em and they asked to have him send it back to evaluate. It was the cheap version with the fore-end band. In no time at all Ruger sent a new high line Sporter version to our local sporting goods store for him with not so much as a note saying sorry or mentioning what they found, nothing??? Just a new more expensive rifle. I found that curious.
I've heard other, though "rare" stories of them letting go the same way?? Ya suppose that could have something to do with them dropping what I'd a guessed to be the best selling .22 LR in the Country?? Maybe they just cost to much to produce compared to the competition??
Anyone hears the scoop let us know .
I have one all done up by Clarks Custom Guns down South and it shoots with any .22 I've ever seen, or at least it did the last time I shot it just when the .17 HMR and .17 Mach2 came out years ago . It's been pretty lonely ever since.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:03 PM

Back in the olden days the 10-22 was a money maker for me. Wal-Mart sold them cheap. Everyone had one or two.

With all the grey digger's around Redding CA, those guns got a work out.

I replaced a pile of extractors. Replaced a number bolt stop pins and sent a number of guns back to Ruger for repair of the bolt stop pin hole. Installed a number of cushioned bolt stop pins, but they just got beat up and had to replaced.

I had a number of 10-22's come in for firing before bolt closed. Never could duplicate it in the shop. It was only years later when hunting Gophers in Montana with my late Wife that I ever saw it happen. I only ever recovered one case head after such an incident, and it appeared the rimfire cartridge was fired by extractor. I "guessed" that the round hung a bit chambering and there was a enough force to dent the rim and fire the cartridge outside the chamber. Her 10-22 was the only 10-22 in our safe that did that. My gun has never done that.

We fired thousands of rounds on the gopher patch over the 15 or so years she shot that gun. During gopher season from late February to mid July our guns seldom to never left the truck. Cleaning amounted to wiping the guns off and brushing off the scopes. At the end of the year they were cleaned.

We had 10 Magazine for each gun, although she wasn't above taking mine. Except for one magazine they functioned flawlessly. These rotary Magazines were the most dependable component of the entire Ruger system. We always carried a can of air for cleaning computers and when that one magazine hung, just blew it out and and went back to shooting.

I have limited experience with bolt rotary magazine guns-customer guns only and passed them over as they never seemed very accurate.

Last edited by Double D; 01-31-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 PM

Default Possible issue with the aftermarket mags....

The problem may not be with the factory mag, but with aftermarket magazines!
These problems may be constantly dragging them into liability issues.
So, the delay may be to washout the old models and introduce a new model that the mag is not compatible with old magazines....Not saying this is the issue, but how liabilities are handled today, it could be a possibility.

Bill
Old 01-31-2017, 03:46 PM

In my opinion, Ruger is 'temporarily' stopping production of the rotary mag bolt action rifles prior to permanently stopping production for cost reasons. Ruger is already making the new "American" models in most of the rimfire calibers, and just want to gauge the market volumes before they permanently kill the rotary mag models. I bet they will make the pistol caliber models of the American soon, now that Hillary lost. They are still making the 10-22, including the newer models the takedown, etc..
Old 01-31-2017, 04:31 PM

The Ruger pistol that uses the same magazines as the 10-22 rifles, has now been responsible (actually the police are responsible) for having all 10-22 magazines over 10 rounds, declared as PROHIBITED DEVICES.
There are 10 of those pistols in Canada, but in keeping with the RCMP's drive for gun confiscation across the board,they are using the capacity loophole to have any 10-22 magazines over 10 rounds declared illegal for possession.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:53 PM

Kind of a misleading post. They are NOT stopping the 10/22 or American rotary feed rifles, just the 77/17-77/22-Hornet, .357 and .44.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:23 PM

Default Ruger Rotary mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Kind of a misleading post. They are NOT stopping the 10/22 or American rotary feed rifles, just the 77/17-77/22-Hornet, .357 and .44.
Kind of wondered about that, as the new model bolt American, etc. use the same rotary mag as the 10-22, or at least theirs ads all say so. Bill K
Old 02-01-2017, 10:38 PM

Here is what L.J Hoots says in the Rifle Article : " Ruger's wildly popular American Rimfire rifle is in the midst of high volume production and sells for considerably less money than the 77/22 series rifles ". He also mentions the the American Rimfire receivers are cut on CNC machinery at lower labor costs than the old cast receivers . As far as Accuracy and Quality of the old ,original 77/22s goes ....... I remember when they first came out . At that time , my friends and I ordered ( either 5 or 6 ) 77/22s . We thought the Triggers were awful , so I contacted Ruger and was told to send them all back . I got the whole pile back in a few weeks and the Triggers were just great ( and I like light Triggers ) . How about them "good old days " ? The other owners asked me to Test all the Rugers . I Tested all the 22s at a little over 50 Yards from a Bench , and all Grouped 5 Shots under 0.75 inches ( some just under 0.50 inches ) with various brands of 22 I had on hand . I think that all the Rugers loved Winchester T-22 and although this was a long time ago , I also think that PMC High Velocity was about as good . Nice wood on all the Rugers too !