Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-19-2017, 05:10 PM
Supporting Member

Default Friggin Flyers

I bought a new AR target (223) upper from Olympic arms back in Dec. before I knew of their news of closure. Anyway, started doing some load workup with it and right from the get go with 55,53 and 50 grn Vmax bullets I get the same result. On a 5 shot group 3 that touch and 2 out in left field by about an inch. The grouping is consistent to distance @200 and 300 yards. Shipped it back to Oly and talked to the guy who inspects and checks accuracy. Tell him the rifle is not within their accuracy spec. Asked if he could get it to shoot under 1" to give me his load data or the factory ammo he is using along with his test target. Got the rifle back the second week of Jan. with just a note that says checks out ok and nothing else. Then I hear of the closure so calling them back at this point is moot. They do use cut rifling so I know it can take a couple hundred rounds for the barrel to really settle in. All the mounts are tight Parralex adjusted properly and the scope is a brandy new Sightron 4-12X50. (Eliminating variables here) I am going to try some Sierra 53 and 69 MK and see if that makes a difference. Any body have a similar AR problem and find a cure?

Aaron
Old 02-19-2017, 05:21 PM

I've never had that experience with any of the krieger, brux, or bartlein cut rifled barrels I've used. Wish you the best of luck diagnosing the issue.

Aaron
Old 02-19-2017, 06:35 PM

Just a couple of comments. What twist rate is on the barrel?

I have seen the 'double' group before, and I might be caused by the first round shot, since that bolt is closed manually rather than the round is cycled (slammed shut) by the action of the rifle itself.

Sounds like you have a good choice of bullets, but you might also try 52gr SMK.

I have to be very aware of how I hold an AR, since ARs are much taller than bolt guns, and they can result in have a lot of 'cant' when shooting at precisely aimed targets.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:02 PM

I am not familiar with that company or it's barrels. Could you give some more information, i.e. twist rate, load, barrel length and contour, brake/flash hider, handguard or bipod, rate of fire. Having said that, I have several cut rifled barrels and they shot well within a couple rounds. I believe the couple hundred round caveat may have been true years ago but not now.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Supporting Member

Twist rate is 1-9 SS heavy barrel 20" .915@muzzle, no junk on the end of the barrel. Rate of fire was 15-20 seconds between shots. Just shot a test group with the 53 grn SMK's......... 3 through a ragged hole with 2 about 1/4" directly above the group of three and the 2 are touching each other. Looks promising, will see if I can repeat it or do better.

Aaron

Last edited by long shot; 02-19-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Weigh sort your brass. Sort out the ones that flew and compare to the others that grouped. My dpms had a similar issue. Weighing out 1000 pieces of brass was an eye opener. Lots of high and low weights, bunch in the middle. I use the weigh sorted brass in my dpms and the others for blasting out of the colt M4 carbine.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long shot View Post
Twist rate is 1-9 SS heavy barrel 20" .915@muzzle, no junk on the end of the barrel. Rate of fire was 15-20 seconds between shots. Just shot a test group with the 53 grn SMK's......... 3 through a ragged hole with 2 about 1/4" directly above the group of three and the 2 are touching each other. Looks promising, will see if I can repeat it or do better.

Aaron
In my 9 twist AR, I get better and more consistent results with heavier bullets, specifically the 69 SMK at magazine length. The lighter bullets have been more difficult to tune.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:26 PM
Administrator

My dpms is a 9 as well. 52 SMK's over Sierra' gas gun accuracy load of N133. Think it's 23.8 gr?
Old 02-20-2017, 12:14 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas guys, gives me some more ammo to work with, so to speak. I will keep ya posted as I get it worked out.

Aaron
Old 02-20-2017, 12:41 AM

Try a group with whatever ammo you shot single loading. Drop the round in the chamber, not out of the magazine. It could be that your ammo is either distorting a little or the bullets may be set back when hitting the feed ramp. My shooting partner was having this kind of problem with an AR-10, and that's what the problem was (feed ramp issue).