Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-11-2017, 03:08 AM
Supporting Member

Default update on detonation

Well, it all turned out good. Remington replaced the ammo and threw in another bucket to boot. They gave me a cash settlement on the rifle that I was happy with. In a reply response from them, they disclosed that after testing the aforementioned ammunition they found some "slight pressure anomaly's" I would have to say the round I had was a bit more than slight.......... Anyway it all worked out OK. Big green made it right.

Aaron
Old 08-11-2017, 03:12 AM

Default Golden bullet "Detonation"

That is good on their part. Good to hear it worked out well. Bill K
Old 08-11-2017, 04:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

All these problems, does anyone have pictures to show us?

Sounds like some lucky folks not getting hurt by this stuff.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Supporting Member

Default Golden detonation

Glad they made it right. I got a hold of some of the rogue Lil Gun from Hodgdon several years back, wrecked a Kimber 22 Hornet. Hodgdon bent over backwards to not only make it right but to also make sure all costs were handled. I had 2 lbs and a prepaid box with hazmat labels in place was sitting on my stoop the next morning. Seems a disgruntled employee in Australia was the culprit.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
Glad they made it right. I got a hold of some of the rogue Lil Gun from Hodgdon several years back, wrecked a Kimber 22 Hornet. Hodgdon bent over backwards to not only make it right but to also make sure all costs were handled. I had 2 lbs and a prepaid box with hazmat labels in place was sitting on my stoop the next morning. Seems a disgruntled employee in Australia was the culprit.

Do you know the lot number on that? I am searching now.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Supporting Member

Default lil gun

Here is the lot of Lil Gun that was recalled, all 1lb bottles, came out in 2003.

Hodgon Lil Gun
Lot #103080221

When I pulled the trigger on a average load for a 22 Hornet it blew the magazine out in 3 pieces, split the stock at the rear tang about 5" straight back and the bolt had to be hammered open. I was on a shooting line with about 20 other guys at the range. Everyone stopped and looked at what had caused that loud bang.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Chuck did you lose any blood over it?

Reason enough not to shoot factory ammo and be real careful with
reloads too.

Did you happen to compare what the powders looked like? Any difference?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-15-2017, 04:36 PM
Supporting Member

Default Lil gun

Didn't lose any blood, my voice probably rose an octave for a short time. Couple pieces of the mag hit a guy down the line. Appearance was the same but the one thing that stood out was when checking the loads and dumping the powder out of the loaded ammo the inside of the case was coated with powder. Even tumbling with walnut media would not remove it all. I bundled it all up, loaded ammo, cases and all and sent it to Hornady. They sent me back double the amount in new components and powder. I'm assuming the Nitro content was a little elevated.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:41 PM

Aaron, Glad that you were able to resolve your problem so quickly and well and that Rem stood behind their product. I NEVER buy any ammo that says Remington on it - especially rimfire. I understand that there are many that swear by it. My experience with it is the worst of all rimfire that I purchase - and I purchase a lot.

On another matter, How does your 75 shoot? And, what set up do you have for optics? I picked one up this last fall. It looked like it was in nearly new condition. I was excited to find it. I worked on the trigger to get it to about 3lbs and replaced the ejector as it was having a hard time picking up spent cases. I had a difficult time getting any rings to work on it even though it as a dovetail cut into the reciever for tip off types rings. I ended up going with an EGW rail that screws into where the rear block goes - cantilever type. I didn't want this type of set up, but it feels very solid so I will probably be happy with it as long as I leave it scoped. I have yet to shoot it with the scope mounted, but intend to get to the range with it in the next week and see what it can do with optics and some decent ammo.

Last edited by bburrell; 08-15-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:11 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburrell View Post
Aaron, Glad that you were able to resolve your problem so quickly and well and that Rem stood behind their product. I NEVER buy any ammo that says Remington on it - especially rimfire. I understand that there are many that swear by it. My experience with it is the worst of all rimfire that I purchase - and I purchase a lot.

On another matter, How does your 75 shoot? And, what set up do you have for optics? I picked one up this last fall. It looked like it was in nearly new condition. I was excited to find it. I worked on the trigger to get it to about 3lbs and replaced the ejector as it was having a hard time picking up spent cases. I had a difficult time getting any rings to work on it even though it as a dovetail cut into the reciever for tip off types rings. I ended up going with an EGW rail that screws into where the rear block goes - cantilever type. I didn't want this type of set up, but it feels very solid so I will probably be happy with it as long as I leave it scoped. I have yet to shoot it with the scope mounted, but intend to get to the range with it in the next week and see what it can do with optics and some decent ammo.

When I first acquired the rifle it was giving me fits, tried at least a dozen different types of ammo and if I did get a decent group I couldn't repeat it. I ended up putting a magnifying glass on the crown and it had the smallest of dings in the chamfer pushing into the bore. Probably from a cleaning rod at some point in it's life. I recut the chamfer taking about .003" off of it, just enough to clean it up and touched it up with a bit of cold blue. After that I started getting good repeatable groups with a variety of ammo. I don't think this rifle will compete in any matches but that is not why I acquired it. I just wanted a good accurate 22 and it fits the bill. With just about any promotional type ammo It will usually do quarter size groups at 50 yards. Usually 2-3 touching or almost and a couple 1/2" away. The golden bullets it really seemed to like for whatever reason with consistently tighter groups generally in the 1/2" size. I have not tried any expensive match grade ammo through it.

As far as optics I used the tall Burris 1" steel rimfire rings as my rifle is of the later production as yours is also with the grooved receiver. The scope is a Burris Timberline 4.5-14 AO which works very well on it for my application. I have taken it along on a few P dog trips and and out to 140 there is not much that gets missed. I run out of reticle past that. Wind drift is ridiculous compared to a fast moving CF but that's what makes it so fun.

Aaron