Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-25-2019, 04:26 AM

Default 223 Brass Headstamps - Wall Thickness for Case Forming

This is a list of .223 / 5.56 headstamps that were compiled from making 300 Blackout. I believe the information is useful for evaluating .223 donor brass to be used to make/resize into other calibers. The 300BO Neck Thickness measurements in the data set are effectively the wall thickness for the specific .223 / 5.56 cases. This data might help in brass selection to decrease the amount or need for neck turning.

FYI - 300 Blackou case is almost a straight wall case with slightest hint of a shoulder. To form a 300 Blackout case you cut the .223 case at the point where the case body and shoulder start to form. The second step is to run the modified case through a 300BO die and then trim to length. The neck on a 300BO is formed from the case wall (body) of the .223 / 5.56.

*** Need help uploading the Attachment … system isn't providing me the option to upload file***
Old 06-25-2019, 03:13 PM
Supporting Member

Oso, interested in the information, if you email it to me at drew dot hussey at sbcglobal dot net I will get it posted for you.
Drew
Old 06-25-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh View Post
Oso, interested in the information, if you email it to me at drew dot hussey at sbcglobal dot net I will get it posted for you.
Drew
Drew,

Thank you. I will send you the file.

For other readers of the post:
Sorry if there is any confusion...the thread is not about the 300 Blackout. It is about the wall thickness of various headstamps / manufacturers of .223/5.56 brass cases that you might pick up at range to use for forming a varmint wildcat case. Just like when forming 300BO, the case wall of the .223 case becomes the material used to form the neck on almost every varmint round that is shorter than a .223 case. It also effects the thickness of the shoulder and potential doughnut. There are some observations on different headstamps that are less favorable as result of the brass alloy used in for the cases.

I am forming 17-222 and 20 Vartarg, which means the wall thickness of various .223 cases directly impacts my neck thickness of the initial case formed before performing any neck turning or neck reaming.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 06-25-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:15 PM
Supporting Member

Default Oso's information

Old 06-25-2019, 11:28 PM

OP, thanks from me for this info.
I am procrastinating a build of something. With the issues of finding fireball brass, yet having folks that are making it from 223, ending up with thicker than factory necks.
Why not spec out reamers for heavier necks? Yes there are benefits to neck turning. I look forward to neck turning about as much as a visit to the dentist or proctologist office.

Years ago before the BO and it was the whisper, I had a TC barrel factory chamber 300 Whisper. Well as usual they messed it up, long throat and large neck. 223 case gave to much neck wall thickness. 222 was about a perfect fit with no neck turning.
Jeff
Old 06-26-2019, 05:16 PM

Is the Frontier brass you speak of the new LC rounds or the old Frontier? You would need to watch many of these for the .20 P also, as it has a fairly tight neck. I also know some of the earlier Nosler brass was made by Norma, but unsure it the .223 brass ever was.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Is the Frontier brass you speak of the new LC rounds or the old Frontier? You would need to watch many of these for the .20 P also, as it has a fairly tight neck. I also know some of the earlier Nosler brass was made by Norma, but unsure it the .223 brass ever was.
This is a list that I borrowed from the 300 Blackout forum. I believe it was recently updated for additional data. I doubt that they are updating/retesting established data. No idea as to which vintage of Frontier brass.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:53 PM

Default Table

Am I the only one who sees a blank area where this information is supposed to be?

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 06-27-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
Am I the only one who sees a blank area where this information is supposed to be?
Gary,

Drew posted the data above as 3 snapshots. Are you not seeing any of these inserts?

Edward
Old 06-27-2019, 01:14 PM

I normally browse the internet using FireFox on my iPad and apparently, this combination will not display the information. I just checked again using Safari on my iPad and, lo and behold, there it is. I don’t usually experience any difficulties like this so I am puzzled.

Out of curiosity, can you tell me the format of the file (name, complete with extensions)? I would like to do some research to try to determine what is happening.

Thanks

(Interesting information, for sure)

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member