Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-29-2020, 05:52 AM

Default 22/243

Who is shooting one? What can you tell me about it? Loads, accuracy?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2020, 01:55 PM

I have a 223WSSM, which is pretty similar imo. There seems to be two main applications for this cartridge: high speed light bullets for varmint shooting and heavy high BC bullets for ringing steel in long range matches. These two applications are mutually exclusive to some extent because to use the heavy bullets you need something like a 7-twist barrel. The small caliber is useful in matches because the light bullets (compared to 30cal) reduce recoil and make it easier to spot your own shots.

In either case barrel life is limited, so plan on going through barrels. If you want to shoot a lot, I would suggest buying a reamer and a few barrels at the same time from the same place. Just working up a load will eat a significant chunk of the barrel life. So, the idea here is once you get a load worked out, you should be able to change barrels with a good chance of being able to use the same load. Also, for long range you want consistent MV and the WSSM (and a necked down 308) has a thick neck. So I would suggest turning necks and annealing to get consistent MV. If you want to vaporize rodents at 150 yards, then consistent MV doesn't mean much.

Also in either case, the barrel will heat up quickly. If you want to sit down and shoot 200 rounds at a time, I would suggest either multiple rifles or else a smaller cartridge.

I will say that a 40gr nosler at 4400fps has a spectacular impact.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:15 PM
Supporting Member

I've never owned a 22-243, but I do own a slightly larger cased 22-6MM with maybe a little bit more "stomp 'em" to it that is a true long range lazer beam on coyotes shooting 65 grain .224" bullets. It has a 5-15X Zeiss scope on board. I don't remember the scope model number, etc. off hand.... It offers an entirely new and different approach from the smaller cased .224" cartridges that we normally use for such things.

My rifle is built off a medium length stainless Model 99 Montana Rifle Company Model 70 clone action with a #2 Douglas air-gauged premium stainless barrel. I don't remember whose glass stock the smith put it in, but its a very nice handy sporter weight rifle. I use the rifle almost exclusively for coyotes in the winter months, so its relatively short barrel life should last for awhile. I've used it for 4 winter coyote safaris so far and I love it for long range shooting. Accuracy is great.

Go for it....... I bet that you'll like the results......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-29-2020 at 02:51 PM. Reason: pictures added............
Old 09-29-2020, 02:45 PM

Other than wanting something different in a new wildcat, why not just the old wildcat, turned commercial like the 22-250 with a faster twist barrel ?
Or even a A.I. 22-250 ? Just thinking, even if I like a different cartridge in some cases.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:01 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Other than wanting something different in a new wildcat, why not just the old wildcat, turned commercial like the 22-250 with a faster twist barrel ?
Or even a A.I. 22-250 ? Just thinking, even if I like a different cartridge in some cases.
I'm a life-long fan of the 22-250 and its various iterations over time, but there's no comparison, IMHO, when it comes to shooting heavy for caliber bullets.........

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-29-2020 at 03:17 PM. Reason: wording added..........
Old 09-29-2020, 04:02 PM

May well be BCB, but I see more and more guys are going to faster twists and using heavier bullets in the 22-250 and shoot some impressive groups and distance, very well. But don't get me wrong, I am not putting down the other calibers/cartridge wants, needs or uses. Bill K
Old 09-29-2020, 05:01 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
May well be BCB, but I see more and more guys are going to faster twists and using heavier bullets in the 22-250 and shoot some impressive groups and distance, very well. But don't get me wrong, I am not putting down the other calibers/cartridge wants, needs or uses. Bill K
I understand. I'm differentiating from a target round using long slender bullets that eventually get lobbed" toward a target with a defined distance at extended ranges with low recoil but good accuracy due to limited case capacity. With a larger case shooting those same bullets, trajectory is very flat in comparison over vastly extended hunting distances.

I own both an 8" twist 22-250 and a 22-250 AI, and neither one compares to the 22-6MM for flat trajectory when heavy for caliber bullets are used. I actually bought the 8" twist 22-250 thinking that it would be the end all for long range hunting, but its not in comparison. Case capacity gets in the way.

If I was more into target shooting at known distances, I'm sure that I might feel differently. But I hunt more than I shoot paper at long ranges. For me, the bigger cartridges have definite advantages in that scenario. Flat trajectory in a long range hunting cartridge is always a plus over lobbing grenades because of limited case capacity. YMMV, as they say........

EDIT: As I was reading a couple of fairly new responses in this thread, I looked back at my last response. I'll add to it with the fact that I also own a Begrara Ridge rifle in 22-250 which is an extremely accurate rifle with a 1-9" twist barrel. Again, for me, its strictly a hunting rifle that will never see long and heavy for caliber or cartridge bullets in what to me is strictly a hunting rifle where flat trajectory trumps bullet weight all day long. Again, if I was focused on shooting metal or paper at known distances, a flat trajectory can be ignored if the load is accurate at the specified range it's being used for.

JMO - BCB

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 11-20-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:27 AM

I have a 22 CHeetah, which is similar. My only complaint is I bought it used with a 1-16 twist, so it will not shoot anything larger than a 55gr and sometimes that is iffy. It's on a pre-64 action, so I have plenty of room for larger bullets. When I burn this barrel out, I'm going with a faster twist.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:50 AM

Default 22 Creedmoore

You might look at a fast twist 22 Creedmoore.

Hal
Old 11-20-2020, 02:54 PM

The .22 CM is already a fast twist.