Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-22-2021, 01:11 AM
Supporting Member

Default Do you wear gloves when reloading?

I’m not asking about wearing like latex gloves all the time...

I’m more interested if anyone wears gloves when holding cases to either clean/uniform primer pockets or the initial flash hole deburring?

I have most everything else set up very ergonomic to reduce (no prevent) pain. Holding the brass is really hard (or painful).

I thought maybe a better grip might reduce the tension in applying? I tried some latter gloves (I think 5 and 7mm) and didn’t see any important.

It’s tough when you turn into such a sissy lol
Old 02-22-2021, 01:15 AM

I have a hard time feeling and working with gloves on, on just about any project. On reloading, no I don't.
I do wear them when wood cutting, etc. for winter supply, but that is about it as for wearing gloves.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to jbuts
Default gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
I’m not asking about wearing like latex gloves all the time...

I’m more interested if anyone wears gloves when holding cases to either clean/uniform primer pockets or the initial flash hole deburring?

I have most everything else set up very ergonomic to reduce (no prevent) pain. Holding the brass is really hard (or painful).

I thought maybe a better grip might reduce the tension in applying? I tried some latter gloves (I think 5 and 7mm) and didn’t see any important.

It’s tough when you turn into such a sissy lol
i had the some issues when working on brass until i came across a tool by
brass gripper,great tool with several caliber options.saves the fingers and hands.check it out at brassgripper.com i think you will like
Old 02-22-2021, 03:35 AM

I don't wear gloves, but when neck turning by hand, I used a med-laboratory rubber arm-tourniquet for holding/turning the cases. That worked really well. I suspect they might be available in pharmacies?
This kept my fingers from cramping due to having to hold the cases so tightly before using the rubber.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:40 AM

I don't wear gloves when reloading, I do wear safety glasses.

Pete
Old 02-22-2021, 12:40 PM

I wear something similar to these when processing (trimming, pocket cleaning, etc.) large volumes of brass just to get a better grip on the case while applying less pressure on the case, in turn saving a bit of wear and tear on my hands. I may cut the finger tips off of some fingers just for comfort, but leave the index finger and thumb portions on for the "grip" factor. Any box store has 'em.
https://www.wholesalesafetysupply.com/Coated-Gloves

No gloves during the actual reloading process, just brass prep.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:34 PM
Supporting Member

For a long time now I have cut the fingers off of disposable gloves and used them during brass prep on my thumb and first two fingers for a better grip, to protect myself from possible harmful chemicals and to prevent fingerprint corrosion on my brass. This has worked very well for me, you just have to work out what size gloves to cut the fingers from. Also, FWIW the black gloves hold up better than the blue ones and the HD 6 mil thickness is the best combination of durability and feel. Hope this is the sort of info you are looking for and it helps you with your grip problem. You do have to keep the rubber dry and free of any kind of lube for them to work well. I keep an old hand towel close by to wipe my finger covers off as needed.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:33 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMinTN View Post
I wear something similar to these when processing (trimming, pocket cleaning, etc.) large volumes of brass just to get a better grip on the case while applying less pressure on the case, in turn saving a bit of wear and tear on my hands. I may cut the finger tips off of some fingers just for comfort, but leave the index finger and thumb portions on for the "grip" factor. Any box store has 'em.
https://www.wholesalesafetysupply.com/Coated-Gloves

No gloves during the actual reloading process, just brass prep.
That’s exactly when I need something and this was what I was thinking about. Seems like years ago, I had a pair of this type of gloves for something.

Thank you and thanks for the link
Old 02-23-2021, 12:30 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
I don't wear gloves, but when neck turning by hand, I used a med-laboratory rubber arm-tourniquet for holding/turning the cases. That worked really well. I suspect they might be available in pharmacies?
This kept my fingers from cramping due to having to hold the cases so tightly before using the rubber.
Thank Daryl, besides pain, I also get cramping at times... another idea I haven’t thought of.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:28 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuts View Post
i had the some issues when working on brass until i came across a tool by
brass gripper,great tool with several caliber options.saves the fingers and hands.check it out at brassgripper.com i think you will like
That is an interesting tool! Never new they made such a thing.... thank you I’ll check it out.