Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 05-02-2022, 06:52 PM

Default What epoxy bedding to use?

I plan to epoxy bed the hanger to the forend of my Ruger #1. Normally I use Devcon Steel to bed rifles, but I hate to buy a larger than necessary quantity of expensive epoxy for such a small job. Will some of the easy to get epoxy glues be workable? Any experiences or thoughts? Also, any tips on bedding the #1 forend are appreciated.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:16 PM

Small amount of Marine Tec works just fine. Napa/boat shops usually have it.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
I plan to epoxy bed the hanger to the forend of my Ruger #1. Normally I use Devcon Steel to bed rifles, but I hate to buy a larger than necessary quantity of expensive epoxy for such a small job. Will some of the easy to get epoxy glues be workable? Any experiences or thoughts? Also, any tips on bedding the #1 forend are appreciated.

If I don't have Devcon Steel on hand I will do small jobs using JB Weld and have been pretty happy with the results. I generally use Devcon Steel though.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:27 AM

Default Fiber vs straight epoxy

If it is a large area with a flat profile as opposed to a tall area of thin appkication i.e., a thin gap, then consider an epoxy with a high degree of shear shrength or add some glass or other type of fiber to give it shear strength.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:28 PM
Supporting Member

Devcon has a minimum shelf life of ten years. If the grey putty gets stiff, sit the container in really hot water for half an hour before use. It will be just like the day you bought it, I do this even with a new tub as it makes mixing much easier.

As far as bedding the hanger and forearm, the whole issue is around how good a job you do of shaping platcine over the hanger itself so you don't get any mechanical locks. You want as tight a fit as possible without hanging the thing up in the Devcon. Let the Devon dry 48 hours before you pop it out. Other thing is make sure you bed the forearm where it mates to the action. Getting a good solid connection there helps the way they shoot a lot.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:16 AM

About three months ago I mentioned to a friend that I needed to order some Devcon Steel to do a small job and lamented that I had some, but gave it away a couple months earlier. He said he had some he could give me and I asked him if it was fresh. He said it was what was left of what I had given him something like 17 years ago and he uses it frequently and it works great.

I have generally bought fresh yearly and give away any I have on hand at that time. I guess I was being a bit profligate or maybe overly cautious.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
About three months ago I mentioned to a friend that I needed to order some Devcon Steel to do a small job and lamented that I had some, but gave it away a couple months earlier. He said he had some he could give me and I asked him if it was fresh. He said it was what was left of what I had given him something like 17 years ago and he uses it frequently and it works great.

I have generally bought fresh yearly and give away any I have on hand at that time. I guess I was being a bit profligate or maybe overly cautious.
If you look on the box, Devcon has a best before date right on it, and that is for industrial applications. It is WAY more than a year. Yes, you have been spending more than you need to changing it annually.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:00 PM

Devcon in the two-barreled syringes works good but often requires a little thickening with micro-balloons and maybe a little cotton flock. JB weld works good. I thicken it too. I can never get the ratios right on Marine Tex.