Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 12-09-2019, 02:49 AM

Default 17 REM Barrel Sugguestion

I am thinking about re-barrelling a REM 700 (currently a 223), but thinking about a 17 REM. Typically, I have done business with Pac-Nor, but sounds like they will be out of action for quite some time since they had a devastating fire. Looking for suggestions for a barrel manufacturer.

Thank you in advance....

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including their life."

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:04 AM

Lothar Walther.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:16 PM

I have been owning and shooting .17 Remingtons for 40 years now. Back when I got my first one (an H&R on a Sako L461 action) the only bullets you could find were the 25 grain hollow points from Hornaday and Remington. I had to use a BB gun cleaning kit (did not work very well) as I could not find any .17 caliber rods and brushes. Things are much better now in that regard.

What is not better now sadly is inexpensive .17 Remington brass. I have enough to last me the rest of my life thankfully, but if I were starting over today with a gee-whiz .17 caliber I would just go to a .17-204 and be done with it. Lots more different brass makers out there and it's way cheaper and easier to find too. Plus you can get .17 Remington speeds with a bit less pressure or even top the .17 Rem if you wish. 4500 fps is not hard to obtain when using the 20 grain Vmax. 4300+ when using the 25 grain bullets.

I am a big fan of the .17 Remington to be sure. But if starting over today I would go to a .17-204 and call it good. And good it would be.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Supporting Member

I have several 17 calibers and every time I've chosen to re-barrel a 17, I went with a Lilja, based on the early "forum mentoring" of Dan Clements, and have never been in anyway disappointed. Jim
Old 12-10-2019, 07:50 PM

Have had 2 17-204 s build on Lilja barrels. No complaints.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydust View Post
I have been owning and shooting .17 Remingtons for 40 years now. Back when I got my first one (an H&R on a Sako L461 action) the only bullets you could find were the 25 grain hollow points from Hornaday and Remington. I had to use a BB gun cleaning kit (did not work very well) as I could not find any .17 caliber rods and brushes. Things are much better now in that regard.

What is not better now sadly is inexpensive .17 Remington brass. I have enough to last me the rest of my life thankfully, but if I were starting over today with a gee-whiz .17 caliber I would just go to a .17-204 and be done with it. Lots more different brass makers out there and it's way cheaper and easier to find too. Plus you can get .17 Remington speeds with a bit less pressure or even top the .17 Rem if you wish. 4500 fps is not hard to obtain when using the 20 grain Vmax. 4300+ when using the 25 grain bullets.

I am a big fan of the .17 Remington to be sure. But if starting over today I would go to a .17-204 and call it good. And good it would be.
Isn’t it relatively easy to form 17 Rem brass from your choice of 204 brass?

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 12-11-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
Isn’t it relatively easy to form 17 Rem brass from your choice of 204 brass?
You know, it might be. Like I said though I have no shortage of .17 Remington brass. Bought a bunch more of it at a gun show a few years back too. I never tried making any with .204 but I know that .223 works OK but you get a pretty short neck. Seems to shoot OK so that's the main thing.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:38 AM

I bought a CZ 527 17 REM Varminter used many years ago. And I have haven`t
had any problems at all with it. The little rifle will shoot under a 1/2 inch most of the time. It is one of my all time favorite Varmint Rifles. I use it for almost any thing & everything from Parrie Dogs & Rock Chucks to Coyotes. Shoots like a streak of light. I truly feel that finding my used CZ 17 REM was a gift from the Man Upstairs.
ken
Old 12-11-2019, 05:43 AM

Lothar Walther is what I am going to use shortly when I re-barrel my little Sako A1.

Pete
Old 12-11-2019, 11:42 PM

+2 on Lothar Walthar. If you're going to use a "barrel burner" cartridge then you might as well get a long barrel and mske certain that you are going to be happy by using a 1 in 9" twist. If you are going to be shooting in a p-dog town then you better buy 2 barrels and have both fitted to your action. P-dog towns could burn up your fancy high dollar LW barrel if you do not have another rifle for short range (150yds and under) shots.

Personally my 17FB has more than enough velocity for long range, even with 30gr bullets, and the HNDY 15gr NTX should be able to go far faster than necessary, however I have never faced down a PDog stampede.

A favored powder for me when loading any .17" is H-4198, and using it I have achieved some blisteringly fast 17gr loads in a stock 17Rem FB Rem 700 SPS with the longer factory heavy varmint barrel.

Last edited by 17tbs; 12-14-2019 at 11:40 PM.