Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Cartridge Collecting, Small caliber cases exchange.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:40 PM

Default anyone made a 5.7x28 or 22tcm necked down??

I would like to make one of these calibers into a 20 caliber .. anyone have any ideas? it's not about the vel it is more just something I wold like to do.. thanks
Old 12-24-2018, 12:23 AM

If I were going to try that, I'd opt for the .22 TCM case over the 5.7 just because the 5.7 case is a lot more fragile. Necking down a .22 TCM case to .20 would be easy enough. Making cases, although tedious, would be relatively easy. Getting a reamer and dies might be the hard part, all to gain what? Performance would probably be similar to a .17 Hornet or .17 AH. Whatever makes ya smile!
Old 12-24-2018, 01:02 AM
Supporting Member

I believe Nor Cal Mikie has the tcm necked down to 20, don't have any other details.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

If you are going to neck down the 5.7 use 4.6x30 brass . It will handle a lot more pressure.. my 17velocaraptor was based on the 5.7 but can be made from the 4.6 cases.. the gunsmith in Payton Co has the reamer. For the 17, not sure on the 20. His name escapes me right now.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Supporting Member

I did the "20 TCM" thing. Custom made reamer and dies. One pass with a Wildcat Forming die got me to 20 caliber with no issues. I liked that process better than full length die sizing. Factory brass with the proper head stamp is tough as nails. Good looking finished product.
So what you end up with is a shortened .223 case necked down to 20. You just reinvented the wheel but you "just had to do it" to see what you would get.
Well, somebody had to do it.
And on top of all that work, not one shot fired for accuracy. Popped a couple to see about forming but nothing (yet) from the bench. I have high hopes.

Did the 17 VHA thing. Didn't meet my expectations but I really didn't give it that much of a chance. Once I saw the TCM brass, I was hooked and the 17 VHA got moved WAY to the back burner. Just collecting dust. Got brass and dies but not much interest now. Working with the TCM is so much easier, I can't go back now.

And depending on what action you use, you may have feeding issues. The 17 VHA is a little devil. You need to see what the guys ended up using. The TCM may be another feeding problem. Short round may not feed. My Savage action has issues feeding the TCM. You have to start the round into the chamber, not just drop it into the action and close the bolt. That may be a good enough reason for me to abandon that project. Time will tell.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 12-24-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:32 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

As foxhunter mentioned, the 17 VHA is formed from 4.6x30HK.

Mic McPherson used to sell dies for the VHA but I think he up and died on us.

Hornady custom shop has a VHA print for making dies.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 12-25-2018, 11:15 PM

Nor Cal Mikie, is your TCM a repeater action or single shot? If it's a repeater, I have a real easy solution to make it feed easily.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:09 PM
Supporting Member

Set up as a single shot as are all of my rigs. Happens to be built on a Savage Model 12 Stainless left hand repeater action with a single shot follower. The short 20 TCM case seems to be the issue. A longer case would make starting into the chamber much easier. I think the same issue with the 17 VHA.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Supporting Member

I have the 17 and 20 Boomer which are 40* shoulder versions of the TCM case. I fit and bed a full length single shot follower into a Rem 700 SA. I use Kiff cone nose bolts. I literally can toss a case in on the follower and close the bolt. I've shot at least 2500+ rounds of the 20 Boomer in the last 3 years with no problems. Haven't bother with checking velocity but accuracy is in the mid 3s.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:55 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBear View Post
As foxhunter mentioned, the 17 VHA is formed from 4.6x30HK.

Mic McPherson used to sell dies for the VHA but I think he up and died on us.

Hornady custom shop has a VHA print for making dies.
Mic is not dead (I just spoke with him a week, or so, ago) . He sold some of his stuff to someone else, who is building things out to start offering rifles, etc.