Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-04-2020, 11:31 PM

Default ISO Info about Loading Tracers

Anyone out there have any experience loading .223/5.56 tracers? Most of what I've found on the internet recommends H335 or RL7, but not how much of either. I figure if anyone knows, they're likely to be lurking around here.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:52 PM

The only thing I loaded tracers in was a 7.62X39 from an SKS. I think i used IMR 4198. It was not that hard to lite them off, honestly. FYI they will light wet grass on fire, or so I have been told
Old 05-05-2020, 12:52 AM

I would say use the powders you mention, and follow loading information for a bullet of the weight they are..
However, don't know about your area, but my state they are illegal to shoot. Some do and often fires are caused and if they can prove you were responsible, it will be a costly venture. Bill K
Old 05-05-2020, 01:48 AM

Bill, that takes me back to basic training at Fort Jackson, SC in 1966. We had a night assault course where they were firing machine guns over our heads with lots of tracers flying through the air, and those tracers were lighting up the underbrush downrange. It was quite the sight to see. Don't know right offhand whether they're legal in Wisconsin or not, but it may be a good idea for me to check that out.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
Bill, that takes me back to basic training at Fort Jackson, SC in 1966. We had a night assault course where they were firing machine guns over our heads with lots of tracers flying through the air, and those tracers were lighting up the underbrush downrange. It was quite the sight to see. Don't know right offhand whether they're legal in Wisconsin or not, but it may be a good idea for me to check that out.
Yes, they used to run a tracer about every fifth round, seems like.. Those babies can sure as all get out, start a fires in brush, dead grass and the like. Bill K
Old 05-05-2020, 04:02 PM

Years ago I got some older pulled red tipped tracers that had gotten damp (smelled like mould) so they didn't guarantee them to light so they were selling them as pulled bullets. They were stupid cheap so I bought 5K. I looked into loading tracers and what I found said that ball type powders were better for tracers than stick types. So the H335 you mentioned works as it is a ball powder.

I ended up loading them with Accurate 2230 (ball) and actually got many of them to light.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:38 PM

Never loaded them, but I have shot a few delinked 7.62x51 API (red and silver tip). They usually take some distance for them to light by design, to make them harder to track back to the shooter. As I recall, 100yds would not light them, but 200yds would. had some black tips also, which were AP only, and both were LC from the '70's or '80's.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:05 PM

Never ran into any like that, all I ever saw or used/shot were lite from the get go. Bill K
Old 05-06-2020, 02:54 AM

I also did basic at Ft Jackson in the summer of 1966, C-2-! on Tank Hill. I well remember the live fire night drill. We did the course in daylight to get a "feel" for the terrain and to get us nice and sweaty. Night time crawling under the barbed wire with our M-14's, exploding bunkers and looking at the tracers from the M-60's is something not easily forgotten. The really bad part was getting close to the guns and the concussion from them, not fun!!
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 05-06-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
Anyone out there have any experience loading .223/5.56 tracers?
I've loaded a lot of them. The pulled ones are really cheap, so they're good for plinking. Can you even get new production? Anyway, they have a lower density, so it's similar to lead free stuff in that you'll have bit less case capacity and you might need a tighter twist to keep them straight. What are you loading them in? Are you trying to light them or trying to not light them? I also cut the backs off and load them in hornets. This makes them more accurate, consistent, and higher MV: