Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2020, 01:17 PM

WmCook, check your PM's, please!
Old 05-27-2020, 05:58 PM

Re Dungheap. Can you confirm you got the PM reply?
Old 05-28-2020, 02:26 AM

Yes, got it and replied.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Bob: I've been doing other things, just saw this and read thru it.

Bill: I bought Bob's Cooper back in '11. Then got wound up getting the
folks house ready to sell. Took over a year, then I got sick and haven't shot
hardly anything since Feb 12.

I have several thousand 5.7 cases, quite a few have been necked down and
not loaded yet. IF you'd like some pm your address and I'd be happy to send you enough to get by on for a few years.

At first when Bob sent me a sample round I just had to have one. At the time I was shooting p/dogs among high priced horses and wanted something less than a .223 I was using. He didn't want to sell it at the time so I dumped about $300 into rebuilding a NEF HMR. Had quite a hassle doing so. Then trying to find max charge with it I blew it up. No real harm done, got mighty lucky it didn't get in my eye's. Just a few specs of blood on the trigger hand when the plastic guard blew apart. Got it fixed.

Then in early '11 Bob sent me an e'mail that he was ready to part with it for so many $'s. I sent a check, then couldn't find a way to get the rifle to me. WTH, just drove to his place (900miles) and picked it up. We shot it a few times in his yard. I stopped at PVI and stocked up on powder and a few primers they had in stock. Would have left them another thousand bucks but no CCI primers except what I got. 25,000 SR's and around 100#'s of powder.

Found the two guns were not chambered the same. Later years I had Weaver recut both of them to match at the same time I was there with him. I had feeding problems and sent it to Cooper, for two years. They had no obligation to work on it. I'd fired ten cases so they'd have 'em to fit the barrel to if they pulled it off. Sure as hell, they did and didn't set the headspace. Now both rifles are chambered the same.

I settled on 9.5gr 1680. Believe that's 3460fps. I have a 30 cal ammo can nearly full of loaded rounds for it.

First thing, without brass I ordered 5 boxes of 5.7 FN's from Midway and pulled the bullets. Only 5gr dust like powder in them. Loaded those 40gr V'max in the .223 and later loaded the powder too just so it wasn't on the shelf.

I've run out of info, ask if you need more. I can't help you with the barrels though. Have fun, hope you can shoot it a lot more than I've been able to.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 05-28-2020 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:15 PM

George I sent a PM to you. Thanks for the input.

I'm going to start with the switch barrel project with the full size 5.7x28. I've contacted Kevin at Weaver Rifles (thanks to Bob) and he's right in line with what needs to be done. Including the feeding and extraction with the clip fed Cooper Model 38 that I'm working with.

So I'm pretty optomistic. It sounds as if George might be able to help me with the brass to get things rolling so I think I'm good to launch. Thanks for all of your help. Bill.