Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-31-2020, 05:14 PM
Supporting Member

Default ND PD Hunt on 5-29-2020

I apologize for not letting you folks know I was alive these past 7 months or so, but I have been here reading the posts. My pain level is keeping me from doing many of the things I like to do, but my aversion to pain could not keep me from going out on a prairie dog hunt last Friday. I am still suffering from the pain, but it was worth it!!!

It has been a loooooong time since I was last out shooting prairie dogs—October 17, 2019, to be precise!! I noticed a couple Board members were wondering if I was still alive because I hadn’t made any posts recently. I am still ALIVE and I did manage to get out shooting a few prairie dogs on Friday, May 29, 2020. I was going to leave town a little earlier than usual, but I had a few unexpected things pop up and didn’t manage to leave town until 11:21 a.m. The temperature was 61º and there was a slight SE wind. I arrived at my usual parking spot for the wind direction and started to get my gear out. When I lifted the Schwinn cart out of the pickup box, I said "OH #@$%#!!!" Both tires were 110% FLAT!! I was a bit perplexed because I had aired up both tires about a week ago before I lifted the cart into the pickup box. No problem, that’s why I carry a 12-volt portable air compressor. I got that out and aired the tires up to about 50# each and put the compressor back into my pickup. I think I’ll put some Green Slime in them to see it that will solve the air leakage problem. While I was loading the cart a couple noisy prairie dogs received 25 gr. V-Max sleeping pills from me. When I shot the second PD, I thought the bullet hit rather high so I set a target out at 100 yards. I did a little tweaking on the scope settings. It was 1/2" high and a whisker and a half to the right. I hauled the target box back to the pickup and put it up in the pickup box. I loaded shells in the shell holder on the stock and filled the magazine and set the rifle across the fence.

The rifle I was shooting was built on a Jerry Stiller Predator action. I installed a Jewell trigger and adjusted it to 18 ounces of pull. I placed a wide aluminum trigger shoe on it. It has a 24" stainless steel super match grade Pac-Nor barrel in medium Palma contour on it. It IS HEAVY! It has a 1 in 9 twist, three groove barrel and was chambered and installed by my gunsmith.

The chamber has a .197" neck and I’m using neck-turned Nosler brass and Tula Small Rifle Magnum primers. My gunsmith added some 5/16" flutes, threaded the muzzle for my suppressors, and put his fancy scrolling work on the outside of the barrel. This rifle was rebarreled the winter of 2018 and I had shot 232 bullets down the barrel before today.

The scope is a Leupold VX-III with 6-20X power and has a 40mm objective lens. It has the duplex reticle with fine crosshairs, side focus, and the tube is silver in color to match the SS barrel and silver colored action. The load I settled on for this rifle and the 25 gr. V-Max bullets is 21.9 gr. of IMR 8208 XBR and I seat the bullets .010" off the lands. (Please use caution and DO NOT START with 21.9 gr. of 8208. Start at least a grain below that weight charge and work your way up slowly.) I used the same reamer to chamber a Stainless Steel Lilja barrel that has a 1 in 9 twist and 4 grooves and that one is on a Remington 700 BDL action. Primers for both rifles are the Tula Small Rifle Magnum primers. I also use the same weight powder charge for both rifles and the Lilja barrel gives me 3,869 fps while the Pac-Nor barrel gives me a muzzle velocity 186 fps faster at 4,055 fps. I could use the brass interchangeably, but I keep the brass separate and won’t mix it.

Anyway, it was 1:55 p.m. when I started walking to do my hunt and I already went 2 for 2 shots. Business was slow and I only had 4 shots by 2:03 p.m. I stopped shooting to take some photos of blossoms that were all over the prairie. I’ll put together a collage of blossom photos for you.

Check out the blossom collage above. I took those photos with my Samsung Galaxy 10 cell phone. I was finished taking blossom photos by 2:50 p.m. I had taken 14 shots and killed 16 prairie dogs. There were very few pups up out of the dens. I had my lunch and took a 40 minute nap. I went 10 for 10 shots after lunch on distances from 40.6 yards out to 150 yards. At 4:30 I started walking to the west and used the washout water had hewed into the prairie as my low spot to sneak up on more PDs to the west. That worked pretty well. I could pop up out of the washout and pick off prairie dogs over about a 225º arc. Then I’d drop down, hike a ways further west and repeat the scenario. It was about 6:30 when I started my walk back to the pickup. I did shoot a few more PDs on the way back. My total number of shots at prairie dogs was 46. I killed 44 singles and one confirmed double for a total of 46 dead prairie dogs for those 46 shots. I thought I might have had a couple more doubles, but when I got to each mound, I only found one dead PD so no proof, therefore I don’t count the double unless I find lots of blood.

I stopped by the landowner’s home before I drove away and thanked him for letting me shoot prairie dogs on his land. I started driving for home at 7:00 p.m. and was parked in my garage by 7:45 p.m. I know some of you seem to like the “Hero Photos” I often post with my stories so this one is for you. Here's a photo of the rifle I used today and one of my many satisfied prairie dog customers.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Silverfox; 05-31-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:30 PM

Thank you LeRoy, again you do not disappoint us, me anyway, with the photo's and narration. Bill K
Old 05-31-2020, 09:47 PM

Woo hoo LeRoy.. good read!! Got some PDs out of the way on the ranch and the flower collage is nice.. The land behind you looks dry for spring. Thank you!
Old 06-01-2020, 12:40 AM
Supporting Member

Cosh & Bill--Thanks for reading my story. The "Hero Photo" of me with my rifle was from the fall two years ago, so "YES" that was not the condition of the grass last Friday. Here's a photo that will give you a view of how green it was out there.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-01-2020, 02:36 AM

Well done Silver Fox! Happy to see you out and about and enjoying what you like to do. Nice rifle, nice pictures and nice report.
Thanks for sharing and all the best.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 06-01-2020, 02:42 AM

Great story and photos. I, too, was worried by your long absence. Glad to see you back shooting. Best of luck managing the pain.

RF
Old 06-01-2020, 04:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Makes me happy to see you out there playing the game yet.
With all the back troubles.

Keep at it as long as you can.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-01-2020, 10:41 AM

Default Good shooting LeRoy!

It’s always a pleasure to see a post by you and then read about your adventures.
I am sorry that you are experiencing so much pain,I hope those doctors will get you dialed in soon.Keep up the good work
Matt
Old 06-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Keep popping those dogs SF! Thanks for the write up!
Old 06-01-2020, 02:42 PM

Great read as always...Keep your amazing adventures coming.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including their life."

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.