Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-10-2013, 05:35 AM

Default Patch-Out?

Has anyone here been using Patch-Out? I bought some a while ago and I'm not sure I like it. It doesn't seem to work as well as Shooter's Choice. What I have been noticing is that there always seems to be some dark junk in the barrel that doesn't clean put all the way. The dark stuff always looks like stuff clinging to the barrel. It is "dimensional" in that it seems to have thickness. It is almost like it could be dust clinging to the bore throwing a shadow, or like something leaching out of the barrel. I want to go back to Shooters Choice.

Danny
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 AM

I just got into wipe-out patch out this year, using the liquid stuff, along with accelerator and carb out.. I like the stuff so far..
The black stuff you are seeing on the patches is either powder fouling or carbon..
Old 05-10-2013, 07:36 AM

I have been using it for quit some time, after I get all the copper out I use a patch with JB, then hoppies to finish. Sometimes if I cant get to my cleaning right after I get done shooting it might take another patch of JB to get all the fowling and carbon out. I have had great luck with it.

Bob
Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 AM

Bob
When competing in benchrest I use rubbing alcohol patches straight. I do this as a quick clean. Barrel is dry as a bone and all the carbon comes out. Since I leave the lube on my bullets that takes care of the dry barrel. I start out with a carbon free barrel. I usually shoot my best groups this way. I go back to regular cleaning for the rest of the agg.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-10-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Anderson View Post
I just got into wipe-out patch out this year, using the liquid stuff, along with accelerator and carb out.. I like the stuff so far..
The black stuff you are seeing on the patches is either powder fouling or carbon..
I went back to clean it after posting. I used a brush this time. According to their standards, the patch came out clean prior to the brush. There was a SLIGHT discoloration. I have never been able to run a patch through and have it come out looking like it never was put in. I ran a brush through it and the next patches came out black, indicating powder fouling. I also see copper streaks at the muzzle that it is not showing on the patch.

Danny

Last edited by Danny; 05-10-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:51 PM

OK Stephen, that finally answers my question on why you leave the lube on your bullets, that would make sense. I found many years ago not to start out with a chemically clean barrel, it tends to copper or lead fowl real fast. Leaving the lube on would or should stop that.

Danny, how long are you leaving the Patch out in your bore? I use to use Shooters Choice, Barns, and about every other copper remover you can think of and probably some you cant. Wipe out and Patch out have been a God send to me. I just cleaned a 223 that belonged to a buddies kid, he had over 500 rounds without cleaning, the bore looked solid copper, it took an overnight soak, but it all came out, and about a ton of black crud. I never used a brush.

Bob
Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Supporting Member

I just ordered my second round of Wipe Out and the accelerator, and I'm still not sold. It certainly is no miracle cure. There are better carbon cutters (I'm currently using MPro 7) and there are better copper solvents (Sweets comes to mind).

Mainly I use Wipe Out to soak overnight after high volume shooting when I know I'm going to be going right back out the next day. When I have brushed after dosing with Wipe Out per the directions, I have always broken more fouling loose and the patches are black again.

Lots of opinions about bore cleaning. I'm in the camp that believes soaking the bore first, using good bore guides, and tight brushes in-and-out are the only sure cure for hard carbon fouling.

Bob, I didn't mean to sound like I'm disputing what you posted. I was typing at the same time you were.

Last edited by Cy Taylor; 05-10-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Default If I'm not mistaken...

... you can take an absolutely clean to the metal barrel and push a brass brush through it and the next patch will come out black.

Or, maybe I NEVER quite get my barrels completely clean, even though Sweets says they are copper free.

Alex
Old 05-10-2013, 01:57 PM

Alex
The carbon doesn't come out with Sweets or JB that's why the clean patch picks it up. The alcohol picks up the carbon from a hot barrel while it is still loose before it can imbed with what is already imbedded in the barrel. This is why guys JB/ISSO their barrels some with steel wool. If you wet patch with rubbing alcohol you get the carbon out before it imbeds. Makes sense. I'm not a metallurgist just a shooter. My wifes the brain, Chemist.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-10-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Supporting Member

I've used Patch-Out since it first came out and it works great, but for whatever reason it seems it leaves a little copper in the barrel. You can see it looking down the muzzle end. A patch with Sweets takes care of that last little bit of copper.

Tom