Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 PM

Default Mattel, Again...

I looked it up and see that Mattel was stamped on the very early hand grips, as they did make that part...
Old 05-27-2013, 10:28 PM

Default Questions for AR guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C. Kitchens View Post
I looked it up and see that Mattel was stamped on the very early hand grips, as they did make that part...
Never saw that on any. AR stands for Amalite Rifle, not assaualt rifle as anti-gun people and bashers think or try to say. Just a point of interest, for some that may not know. Bill K
Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 AM
Supporting Member

George called- Computer problems again. He will be back up on Friday night.
Rider
Old 05-30-2013, 09:45 PM

I wasn't in the military, but I have fired about 75,000 rounds through my personal M16's. The powder fouling in and around the bolt is really not a problem with modern propelants used today. I fired 5,000 rounds one weekend through two uppers with no cleaning and did not have a single malfunction. I did oil the bolt carrier a few times though. Neither upper had chrome lined barrels/chambers.

However, without a chromed chamber, it doesn't take much dirt/sand to run through it before your chamber will be scratched up to the point, the spent rounds will fail to extract. On another outing, I was in Sweetwater Texas in the middle of a friggin sand storm. The wind was blowing like hell and sand was all over the guns. When I would pick one up, I had to turn it over to let the sand run out of it. I had a pair of M16's and both of them were only able to run through 3 magazines before extraction failures occured. Neither had chromed chambers. My Browning 1919 ran for one day, then gave up. My AK did about the same as did the MG42. However, I also had a pair of M-60's that ran non-stop for 3 days without a single malfunction. Those are some dirt eating machines......as long as you start with fresh parts in them.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Supporting Member

Guess I missed out, carried a M79 for 12 months.

Tom
Old 05-31-2013, 05:37 PM

Tom, I guess that would give you the handle of "Thumper" Which my guys liked better than Blooper

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 06-01-2013, 06:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Thank you all for your experienced comments.
They pretty much followed what this article explained was done in chasing these problems down.

Guess no one wants this magazine then, so far no one's spoken up for it.

I didn't join til '71 so I missed out on 'Nam and the gun troubles. When I got the draft notice I was in college and three little kids to feed, they rejected me. A few yrs later when we div'd I joined to get away from the problems at hand.

In basic I saw when just zeroing my M16 the accuracy capability it had. Told the DI: "I'd sure like to have a good varmint rifle in this caliber for prairie dogs". Until then I'd been using 110's in the '06 and misting the short grass with red stuffings.

Amazing things sometimes happen because of off the wall comments like that to the DI. One Sat morning he came to the door and yelled: "Dwight, get your S--T and get out here, bring your rifle too". Having no clue what I'd done wrong I followed orders for the best day I had in basic. He'd gotten a full can of ammo in the trunk of his car, along with his girlfriend and told me to get in. Drove to the range and set me up, said: "don't come bother us until I honk the horn and you've used up that can of ammo". That took several hours of course. I was the only shooter and had a great time of it. I'm sure "THEY" did also.

Soon as I could I bought a Sako and took the gun clubs salesman's word the .222mag could shoot .223s and just might be the up n coming caliber. He was full of it of course but, I filled a boxcar with the rodents with it before it died.

Beautiful rifles those Sakos. Still have 'em both.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 06-01-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: etc