Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-07-2013, 04:09 AM
Supporting Member

Default Update

I ran my first batch of brass through my new(old 60's vintage) rock tumbler using SS media, I like the results. Very clean and shinny, inside and out including primer pockets. Most the cases were from modern centerfires. About a third of was from a 38-55 shooting black, this is where the savings in time and effort came in. Cleaning up a BPCR is breeze compared to smokeless, but I have long felt cleaning the BPCR cases more of a chore. With smokeless cases there are couple more steps beyond just dumping the brass in the tumbler and separating the out the media when finished, but the results cannot be argued with. Thank you for all your earlier input. Michael
Old 07-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Supporting Member

As a follow up with more testing,

I have increased the amount of the SS pins to 10 Lbs, for the Mod B, this HAS made a BIG decreased in the amount of the thumbing time to about 45-1 hr for brass that is normal used/stained conditions.

I now fill the barrel to within about 1/2-3/4" of the rim with brass, (don't count, regardless of caliber or size), add 1 gallon of H2o/Lemishine/Dawn and turn it on and let it run. About an hour later out pops, clean new looking brass ready to stuff with powder/bullets and have some fun.

YMMV,

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 07-07-2013, 11:37 PM

Anyone ever fire one of these little pins down a barrel? Seems only a matter of time before it happens. I am sure, at some time, I have shot walnut shell down mine. Larry

Last edited by trotterlg; 07-07-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvreloader View Post
I forgot to add that when I am thru cleaning the brass, I dump about 7/8th of the dirty water out, then I set my cottage cheese tub (no lid) that contains a large speaker magnet inside, and place this on top of the pile of SS pins.

Then I clean/flush these pins with a hose, magnet holds them in place, so I don't lose any. The SS pins are then dumped into the tumble and the magnet collects any remaining pins and they are put in the thumbing drum.

I added an extra 5 #'s of SS pins to my Model B thumbler and this reduces the cleaning time by half, most times less than 1 hr.

Tia,
Don
I'm gonna try the extra 5lbs. thanks!

Ole
Old 07-08-2013, 12:50 AM

Default Not yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
Anyone ever fire one of these little pins down a barrel? Seems only a matter of time before it happens. I am sure, at some time, I have shot walnut shell down mine. Larry
but I am fairly religious in checking the cases. Once when I remove them from the water while swirling them upside down. After letting them dry, I tumble them by hand in a media separater. Then I check them while seating the primers. Hopefully, I won't be the one to give a first hand report on this happening.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 07-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Supporting Member

Larry,

Not that I KNOW of, since I found the SS pins in the flash holes, I really check the cases inside and of course the F holes. Being that they are so clean inside the over head lights make seeing inside fairly easy, even with these OLD tired eyes.

I have heard that certain lengths (shorter lengths) will get caught cross ways in the necks, I have found any yet, but my pins are longer in length.

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 07-08-2013, 01:13 AM

Guess you will never know, it could be a clue if you see funny little dents inside the barrel some time. I just know for sure that if something can happen it will, just the law of chance. Even things that can never happen somehow do. Larry
Old 07-08-2013, 03:49 AM

Magnetic SS?

Where do I get these magic little devils?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:02 AM
Supporting Member

This is where I obtained mine. Nice folks, thinking now that I should of picked up 2 bags vs 1.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com
Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 PM

The only problem I have encountered with SS pins is tumbling after annealing with a tight necked chamber. Tumbling freshly annealed brass sort of peened the end of the neck, right at the mouth, .001 - .002 larger than before tumbling. Once a bullet was seated, the case would not chamber. Had to pull bullets, trim cases and chamfer the mouths.