Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-08-2019, 08:46 PM

Default Case Forming Question??

I form a fair amount of wildcats. But for this application let's use my favorite. The 219 Donaldson Wasp. I first cut with jig in a chop saw, then chamfer and deburr. Now comes the time consuming part. I use a 30/30 size die to true the neck, then #1 form die, then #2 form die, then final form and trim die, before finishing up with the 219 Wasp full size die. Used to do this all in separate steps in a single stage press. Last time I did it with my Redding T-7 and rotated the turret four times before removing each case from the shell holder. Still time consuming.

Now for my Inquiry. I have acquired a RCBS Pro 2000 progressive press. It is tight as a tick and built like a tank. My plan was to set it up for 357 Mag, but I really don't shoot enough 357 to justify it. Was thinking about selling but then I had a Thought (I know STRANGE ISN'T it). Why not set up a top plate for each wildcat I form that requires enough steps. Then after the 4th pull of the handle a finished case would result. If lubed properly a case makes it through all the dies in the T-7 without re-lubing. Once the dies were mounted in the top plate, no more adjustment would be needed. Just pull a pin and replace with the next top plate. I understand bottom shell plate would also have to be changed OR maybe not my two major wildcats are both based on 30/30 brass. One the 219 Wasp and the other the 6.5BB. I do love 30/30 based wildcats for my Contender.

Surely someone has tried or done this before. If not what are your opinions good or bad. The press is like a tank so I don't think leverage would be a problem. Am I over looking something or do you think this might work.

Going to be out of town for the weekend so not ignoring if i don't reply be patient I will.

Thanks for reading and in advance for all input
Doug
Old 05-08-2019, 09:45 PM

In theory, it should work. Put it into practice and let us know. I form a bit of brass myself and have had thoughts along the same line. I'm just not convinced the consistency will be there. At least not convinced enough to spend my own money on another press. You have the equipment, it's worth experimenting with a test batch.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:50 PM

Why not? I load lots of stuff, both rifle and pistol in my 550B. Just make sure you set up all the dies properly and go for it. Keep the die plate/toolhead set up in case you need to do more later.

Last edited by TinMan; 05-08-2019 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-08-2019, 10:19 PM

I tried it on a Hornady press. I use it more as a turret press than a progressive any way.
I would ended up doing all of it but, the final size in the intended die in my rock chucker. My problem was the shoulder was not being bumped enough. The cam over in the RC press fixed that.
All in all it still saves a fair amount of time. I did one case at a time, progressive. I tried running all stations full. Doing that you will loose a lot of “feel” if not all of it.
Jeff
Old 05-09-2019, 12:22 AM
Supporting Member

I have posted quite a few times that I can’t run more than about three stations on my Hornady press when using my case-forming dies. Well I suppose I could but it gets harder and I don’t want to run needles additional pressure on my press.

That’s running 357 Max through the press sizing it down to 17 caliber.

So far, I’ve never experienced not being able to size enough on the progressive. And I have taken 22 hornet down to 17 Squirrel.

It is nice, with one pull on the lever handle I’m sizing three cases down on the same pull.

I have recently formed fifty plus 6.5 BB cases, plus fifty 30 herrett, from 30-30 on my single stage because I had the progressive set up to load 45 ACP and haven’t got started on them yet. (Looking back I should have used the progressive, it’s not that much time to swap em out, the shell plate taking the longest lol

I also made fifty 25-20s from 32-20s and made a few 218 bees while I was at it just to see the finished product.

The 219 DW is on our radar or should I say my son’s radar and I get sucked into it like there’s a huge vacuum lol.

It’s been some good therapy especially while I was laid up.

Just have to experiment some, that’s all I do...
Old 05-09-2019, 12:25 AM
Supporting Member

Hi Doug.

I agree with Ramos, in theory it sounds good. I have a 550, yet i still form my .219 AI, and 17FB on my Rock Chucker one at time. My thoughts being if I am putting the time and effort into it, I want things to come out right. Working with one case at time on the RC, or, on the T7, all of leverage goes to one case vs. several all at once. As Jeff mentioned, loosing the "feel" of it is something to consider

Why not give it try, might work, might not, won't know if you don't try. I have sorted the process on how to use my 550 to help with BPCR ammo, short of dumping the BP, which is done in by hand as a seperate process. Saves a bunch of time, handle a case only 3 times vs 8. But I had start somewhere and try.

All the best.

Michael.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:38 AM
Supporting Member

I left one thing out.

If your not doing a large quantity of brass say like 300-500 rounds then it may not make that huge of a time difference. Messing around with 50-100 really isn’t that big of a deal where you need to concern yourself with time because it simply doesn’t take very long to knock em out

Also speaking about the ‘feel’ is a good thing. But I can say that I loose more cases on my single stage than I do on the progressive. The only time I’m really or mostly concerned about ‘feel’ is when I’m seating bullets; especially after annealing or after several firings on a certain lot of brass. But even then I’d not give it a second thought to load up 500 each 17 squirrels, hornets, bees, and in my larger 20 and 22 calibers on my progressive to go shoot PDs. The seating pressure has not really shown up out there as an issue.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:01 AM

Default Case forming on the Pro 2000

Gary,
I can assure you this will work as well for you as it does for me! I have done this for numerous cartridges in the past with good results. The ram is massive on this press and I don’t believe all that cast iron is going to flex. If you are concerned about any movement of the top plate, there is a company called UniqueTek that makes an add-on that eliminates any measurable movement of the top plate at all.

I have never had an issue at all with this.

It certainly speeds the process up if you are forming cases in any quantity. Once the dies are adjusted they need not be touched again - just slide that top plate out and slide a new one in.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 05-09-2019, 05:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

just make sure you lube 'em!!

Stick a case in die you'll be cussing!!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-09-2019, 05:10 PM

Interesting thread, using progressive loaders for case forming.

I have an old Hornady progressive press that I haven't used since about 2003.
I wondered about using it for my case forming, but didn't do it.