Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM

Default Bad RCBS news

I put together a used RCBS reloading outfit for my wifes son. The little strap on the primer catchers for his Junior press broke. I told him to call RCBS and they'd replace it no charge. Well appearently their policy has changed they want him to pay for it. Their site now says life warranty only is for first time owners? To bad I'll have to move to another vendor after just 40 years with them.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Supporting Member

Was it "your" press? If so, you call and get the needed part. NEVER had any problem getting replacement parts from RCBS. Only problem was getting them to let me pay for the needed parts.
So somebody buys a used press and expects RCBS to supply parts for a lifetime? That can get old real fast. NEVER had a problem when dealing with RCBS.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:59 PM

40 years of good service & you are going to dump them because they won't give your son in law some two bit part for free? So much for customer loyalty. Gee, I wonder why the manufacturers change they policies? What does that little strap cost? I guessing around a buck! Do you really expect it to last for several generations? You have to be kidding me. You actually put this on a thread expecting sympathy & labeled it "bad rcbs news". Some stuff never ceases to amaze me!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Supporting Member

My experience with RCBS has been fantastic, keep in mind i'm down in Australia. I recently wrote to them asking how much play should be in the shaft & bushing on my case trimmer, the shaft was not running true. No questions asked, a complete new shaft & bushing sent postage paid.

I think you should be very grateful you have such great companies that stand by there product.

Johno
Old 10-01-2013, 01:28 AM
Supporting Member

I understand the take on it cause none of the manufacturers use to be this way and now more and more of em are . We had a big hoo-rah here on the site some time back over Hornady going to the same policy, now it appears RCBS has as well. I found out a while back that Weaver has adopted this policy on their optics also. Looks like it's the way things are going so everyone needs a box to stuff receipts in. My guess is that in this economy a lot of companies are having to find ways to tighten their belt just like a lot of us are. I talked with my Sporting Goods owner about all the Weavers I have and some other things too and he just grabbed a receipt book and asked what I needed receipts on .
Like Mikie said,
"So somebody buys a used press and expects RCBS to supply parts for a lifetime? That can get old real fast."
Makes sense to me .

Truth be told, I've never had a problem dealing with a warranty issue on any firearm related company either except a couple a Leupold scopes I mail ordered years back right after they came out . I never bought anything but Leupold prior to that experience but after both scopes were rebuilt (one twice) and years of hassling over just wanting to trade the 8.5X25X40's I'd bought for the less expensive 6X20X40's I gave up on Leupold. Everyone knows they have the best customer service going right? Not in this case. At one point the phone lady transferred me to a tech in the rear who told me straight up that there was a problem with the crossover point at the upper power range due to the 40MM Objective lens not being big enough and it couldn't be fixed and still the guys up front basically told me to pound sand. After years of my telling that story on every site I was at when Leupold's great customer service was mentioned a guy off one site PM'd me and told me he'd had the same experience but they had re-thunk their take on that scope or had new management or something and I should call em again. I called em and as soon as I started telling the guy what scopes I was having problems with he stopped me up front and said "What do ya want a refund or a swap out?". Now I've bought more of their product but I buy other stuff too when use to I didn't.
If these changes lose companies enough business who knows, they may re-think the policy changes, in the mean time, "hang on to those receipts"!!!!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:38 AM

Default Filson customer service

In 2011 I bought a pair of cover cloth oil finish bird pants from Filson. The cuffs shredded in about 4 months. The dog and I walk in prairie grass (very abrasive) twice a day. So I used contact cement to put leather around the bottoms, after cutting two inches off. That lasted about 4 months, with more shredding.

Bottom line: last month I sent them to Filson. I didn't ask for anything other than that they should see what happened and repair them if possible. Two weeks ago (on a Sat. afternoon) I got a phone call from Filson. They couldn't repair the pants, so they sent me a new pair.

I had a similar experience with Leupold several months ago, with scope I got in trade from a friend. They said it didn't matter, that the warranty is on the scope, not the owner (I wish someone would warranty me). They fixed the scope, no charge, no questions asked.

Thanks for listening.

Richard
Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 AM

Well Johno I bet you did not go through the Aussie RCBS distributor. I have spoken to them about a problem with an RCBS product and was told straight up to send it in and they would make sure the warranty was void But I did email RCBS USA and they were great and helped me out.
Pete
Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Supporting Member

Yes mate, direct to RCBS. I have found them, pac Nor, Leupold to be great companies to deal with. In respect to Leupold, I sent them an old 50s model mountainer 4x. Asked if the could check it over and replace the bowed cross hair. I made it plain I was NOT asking for warranty on an old scope I had bought 2nd hand from the US. I wanted the scope for my savage 99H carbine with an L serries stith mount. They no longer had the parts for the scope and offered to replace it.

I was surprised, told them not to worry as I wanted to keep the scope. They still replaced the scope and returned the old one with a light highlighted engraving say " no longer under warranty" Cost me $25.00 postage. I don't know of any company that stands by their warranties like Leupold.

Johno
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM

Leupold is top notch for customer service, and I happen to like their optics quite a bit as well.

Plano is another company like this.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Supporting Member

Over the years I've bought half a truck full of Leupolds, and with the few that required warranty service, the service has been fast and they handled each situation better than I might have expected. No complaints here.

I think sometimes we expect to be taken care of 100% forever just because we buy something. Even if we're not the original owner. That is asking a lot from a company that is probably being criticized at the same time for its too high prices by the same person wanting and expecting miracles for second hand equipment.

I'll still buy from RCBS, if they have what I want and someone else doesn't, and also from Leupold even if they start charging me for everything that breaks. That is what Jeep, Chrysler/Dodge and BMW do when their warranty has expired, and their warranties change almost yearly it seems, and never for the better on my side of the steering wheel..

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine