Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-26-2013, 12:31 AM

Default James Calhoon Single Shot Magazine For CZ Rifles

I Shoot a CZ 527 in a 22 Hornet American , a Cz 527 in a 223 Varminter, and a CZ 527 in a 17 Rem Varminter. And am really thinking about ordering 2 James Calhoon Single shot magazines one for the 22 Hornet and one for the 17 Rem & 223. I have been led to belive that the 223 and 17 Rem can use the same one. Can any one give me any first hand knowledge as to using them. I think if I could seat the bullets out futher I would get better accuracy on all three of
my rifles. What is your opion on this, am I on the right track. Thanks in advance.
ken
Old 12-26-2013, 01:43 AM

You are correct! You need a Small (S) for the Hornet and the large (L) for the 17 REM and 223. They are well designed and fit nicely flush to the bottom. I have used them on most every CZ I have.
Bill
Old 12-26-2013, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the note - wonder if Homeland Security thinks that single shot follower by Calhoon is too dangerous a device to ship North? After all, you wouldn't want someone to convert a 6 shooter into a single shot, would you?
Old 12-26-2013, 01:57 PM

I keep wanting to get one of those.

Presently, I just don't insert the magazine all the way so it doesn't click, not fully seated in the mag well, and it seems to work pretty well too.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Supporting Member

Only thing wrong with em is that they work so well ya get tired of switching the two of em from rifle to rifle and ya end up wishing ya had a dozen of each of em. At least ya do if you're a repeat offender at the CZ trough and like single shot rifles
They are sure well made. How much are they now?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:43 PM

Thanks for all your help. I don`t know how much they cost now but I talked to MR CALHOON once and I belive he told me they were $ 50.00 or $ 60.00 apeice but that has been at least a year ago. How many calibers of these things does He make. For some reason I thought it was only two of them. IMHO MR CALHOON sure seemed like a very nice Guy, very easy to talk to and very helpful. IMHO I think CZ RIFLES are just about as good as it gets for me. And the Guys at CZ in Kansas City are just great to deal with.
ken
Old 12-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Supporting Member

$54 for the larger one shipped, I just got one before Xmas. It's really nicely made.

Tom
Old 12-27-2013, 03:36 AM
Supporting Member

Anyone try the "bob sled" delrin single shot follower, about $35?
http://www.dctechs.com/obspage.htm

Allen
Old 12-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Supporting Member

Allen as nicely as Calhoon's followers are made from steel then blued, compared to Delrin (plastic) followers for the little bit of difference in price there is, I think I'd have to stick with Jame's.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Supporting Member

I think that James's ssf are a nicely done and work well (great craftsmanship). That said I rarely use it in anything other than my Killer Bee. It seems like I really need it with the 228 Bee case, all others seems to feed pretty well on top of the magazine. When shooting PDs I actually lay the round on top of the mag then using my pointer finger just give it a little flick and in it goes. I also have found that I get very little improvement by seating the bullet beyond the magazine in some of my CZs. The biggest advantage I get with it is "looks" when using this ssf in conjunction with the modified trigger guard.

Also off topic I have my ejector locked in a couple pd rifles so when the bolt is pulled back the round just sets there. Easier for me than to catch em....