Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-13-2018, 09:31 PM

Default 6mm hornet or 6mm k hornet

Hello, I am from Italy and I am interested in this small caliber, the 6mm on the hornet case, because here in Italy we are not allowed to hunt with a .22 cal round if the case is less than 40 mm long (we are also not allowed to hunt with the 22lr, but this is another story!). In Europe the 22 hornet is well known and used, so my thoughts is simple : a 6mm Hornet, or, probably, a 6mm K hornet. The need is for a short range round with good accuracy and low report. I have read that Mr Bill Oviatt has a nice experience with this wildcat, so can I contact Mr Oviatt ?
My request is everything is known about this wildcat, and... reamers, or , with the best luck, a complete rifle to buy through an authorized italian store.
I heartily thank those who answer.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:01 PM

Unfortunately Bill passed away earlier this year.

I would think the K-hornet is the only way to go. otherwise velocity will really suffer.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm k hornet View Post
Hello, I am from Italy and I am interested in this small caliber, the 6mm on the hornet case, because here in Italy we are not allowed to hunt with a .22 cal round if the case is less than 40 mm long (we are also not allowed to hunt with the 22lr, but this is another story!). In Europe the 22 hornet is well known and used, so my thoughts is simple : a 6mm Hornet, or, probably, a 6mm K hornet. The need is for a short range round with good accuracy and low report. I have read that Mr Bill Oviatt has a nice experience with this wildcat, so can I contact Mr Oviatt ?
My request is everything is known about this wildcat, and... reamers, or , with the best luck, a complete rifle to buy through an authorized italian store.
I heartily thank those who answer.
Maybe in your searching you already found the following thread.
http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12104
Old 08-13-2018, 11:49 PM

Default 6mm hornet or 6mm K hornet

Thank you for your quick response.
I had a doubt when i read that a Mr Oviatt, William I think, was dead.
I have always had respect for the experimenters, people who go beyond the common things and who bet on new things.
I hope that now Mr Oviatt will experience new and beautiful things, new exciting wildcats.
I have read about the 240 Banshee, but the reamer for this wildcat is a reamer for a revolver.
In any way, thank you
Old 08-13-2018, 11:52 PM

You also might look at Bill's 243 Horny Toad built on the 221 case. I helped him design the chamber and built the first rifle for him. It was a fun rifle to shoot. Bill did the development work, I just made sure it shot and it did very well.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 08-14-2018, 12:19 AM

Yes JohnHenry i had read exactly those notes.
I think a 6mm K hornet will be a very efficient powder burner with the 55 Grs bullets, and probably the speed can be unsuspected high.
I will write to the builders of reamers and sooner or later i'll find that too.
When I was young the 22 Hornet was also used in Italy for small game up to roe deer.
In those times no disproportionate gauges were used for small game, and, generally , the chase was made to the maximum within 200 meters.
The hornet was also the ordinary caliber for the drilling rifle.
However even nowadays the 22 hornet is appreciated in Europe.
Above all it is still bought by the older austrian hunters.
I think the 6mm (K) hornet can reserve pleasant surprises.
By
Fabrizio
Old 08-14-2018, 12:28 AM

Thank you Eagle_view, tomorrow (here is night) i will research for the Horny Todd.
Please, if it"s not much trouble, tell me which is the manufacturer that can have that reamer.
A wish for a good day.
Fabrizio
Old 08-14-2018, 01:36 AM

If you want to do a wildcat, then you can make almost whatever you want. To me, a 6mm-221FB sounds like a better way to go. Or a 6mm-223. These chamberings would work well with rifles originally built for 223, like a CZ527. It may depend on what you're starting with also. If you already have a 22Hornet rifle and just want to change the barrel, that could be easier than starting from scratch. Hornet brass I've seen is pretty thin, and opening up the neck would make it even thinner. If you're still open minded, there are a lot of options, and maybe some could do what you want without custom parts and ammo.

If it's available there, take a look at the Howa Mini in 6.5 grendel. This is a small rifle and a relatively small cartridge.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:56 PM

6 K
We had Pacific Tool and Gage make the Reamer for us. They should have the documentation, if not I will try to find what we did. We are moving so it is not handy to find at the moment. We built it on a new CZ 527. I put a McGowen 1:8 twist Varmint barrel on it. It shot very well with low recoil. Our chamber had a fairly short neck but that seemed to work alright. I know that Bill had a great time with it. I am no longer doing commercial work but can help with what advice and history I can dig up. I had also converted a Remington M591 to the 5MM Craig for Bill, he like that rifle too.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 08-14-2018, 09:12 PM

I would think the 270 REN would be a viable alternative, especially since the 6.8 SPC has come about. Basically a straight walled Hornet. I have come close to buying TC barrels in the past. The dies were the expensive part.

If the OP is in Italy first and foremost will be what brass is available. I would imagine 221 is non existent there, as sparse as it is here. However if 357 magnum brass was available that is a source there.

Jeff