Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 02-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Default 17 caliber dies ?

what would it take to get in 17 caliber bullet making ? not for selling bullets but for making them for yourself.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:41 PM
Board Sponsor

Not much, just depends on what you have now. If you have no equipment figure on 1500.00, if you already have a press for swaging figure on 1000.00 and about 8-14 months wait depending on which die maker you choose.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 02-18-2017, 10:57 PM
Supporting Member

steel or carbide? I can not comment on steel but turn key carbide 3 presses and three dies your at about 3000$
Old 02-19-2017, 01:58 AM

Larry Blackmon makes steel dies and from what I've heard pretty good ones. You can also convert a RCBS Rock Chucker press to use his dies or use his press. Check it out here and give him a call.

http://bulletswagingsupply.com/
Old 02-20-2017, 01:45 PM

thx! I think steel will do for me . I will give Larry a call . does anyone here use his dies to make 17 caliber bullets ? I might need a Mentor . Thx! Mark
Old 02-20-2017, 11:59 PM

I know guys have used his dies to make bench rest grade 6mm and 30 cal bullets, but I haven't seen any posts about 17 cal dies.

There is one guy on here that used his dies. Maybe ask him if he still thinks they are good.

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthr...light=blackmon
Old 02-24-2017, 05:50 PM

Default The other big two two...

Brothers, no longer working together (surprise!). Dave Corbin, corbins.com, and Richard Corbin, rceco.com... Dave has more printed material and, MAYBE, slightly faster delivery at greater cost. Richard is slightly less expensive...

There are others that are hard to find and do great work at their leisure. Mentioned on benchrest.com occassionally.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:51 AM
Supporting Member

There are others that are hard to find and do great work at their leisure. Mentioned on benchrest.com occassionally.

I'm not sure where your information comes from. Being I am one of the two carbide die makers you mentioned from b.r. central the other being David Detsch, as for working at are leisure we both run full time shops and only make die's...
Old 03-15-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
thx! I think steel will do for me . I will give Larry a call . does anyone here use his dies to make 17 caliber bullets ? I might need a Mentor . Thx! Mark
Hi Mark,
I have a set of Larrys dies in 17. I had them made for a Corbin CSP-S press.
The dies work very well and I have shot some of my best groups with them. That said I am no BR shooter but. .188" 4 shot group will do my hunting needs.
I did have to modify the punches slightly to fit the S press but it was length of the punches and not critical diameters that were the issue. Some time on the lathe fixed that.
My jackets are rimfire cases (as jackets are very expensive to import, ) and Larry made the punches to suit my needs.
All in all very happy with them.

Bills Shed
Old 12-05-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills Shed View Post
Hi Mark,
I have a set of Larrys dies in 17. I had them made for a Corbin CSP-S press.
The dies work very well and I have shot some of my best groups with them. That said I am no BR shooter but. .188" 4 shot group will do my hunting needs.
I did have to modify the punches slightly to fit the S press but it was length of the punches and not critical diameters that were the issue. Some time on the lathe fixed that.
My jackets are rimfire cases (as jackets are very expensive to import, ) and Larry made the punches to suit my needs.
All in all very happy with them.

Bills Shed
I was going to start a thread about 22lr jackets for 17. Bill if you don't mind sharing the info with us how many steps do you have to go through to form the jackets. also I would assume they end up pretty long. if so what are you using to trim the jackets?

I was thinking of trying to make something myself similar to the BT sniper dies in 17 but the jackets are the issue. I was hoping I could pull it off in 3-4 steps, de-rim, anneal, draw to a little under 22 cal, draw to 19-20, then final at 17.

depending how long the jackets were I was also thinking of doing a scenar style bullet (long jacket with no lead in the tip) in the 25-27gr range. not sure i'll be able to spin up 30's with a long jacket with a 1:9 twist at 3800-3900