Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 06-29-2017, 06:24 AM

Default Ballistic tips - ballistic tips - ballistic tips

Hi, I'm in Australia and have started producing Ballistic Tips, The tip we have now is for 17 to 30 cal in a VLD style.
We are now looking at a Tip for the 338 to 408 market.
I would like some input in designs from Bullet swagers in the USA, Sadly i cannot seem to load up photos..
Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 PM

G'day Adam, sorry I can be of any help with that stuff, but good to see another Aussie here.

Haven't been doing some for a bloke by the name of Bill in Tassy have you ??
Old 06-30-2017, 01:44 AM

Default tips

Are you making just the tip or a bullet with a tip? I would be interested in your tip design. Are you injection molding them?

To upload photos you need to use a photo hosting site like Photo Bucket or one of the others out there.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:35 AM

Do you have a website or a document that you'd be able to send to me?
Old 07-06-2017, 10:48 PM

Default Plastic tip in a 17

I have some of the tips sent to me by a mutual friend and will I be putting them in a 17 gn swaged projectile made from 22lr cases. From first impressions they look good but the proof is in the shooting. I will need to build some sort of tip closing die as my current fodder is a open tip. I don't know if it is really required for a 17 cal projectile travelling at 3600f/s + but it doesn't hurt to have a go.

Bill
Old 07-08-2017, 09:14 AM

Default Had to have a go.

So I could hear these plastic tips calling me from the reloading shed and so could not help myself and had to have a go fitting them to my 17 cal projectiles. I did not have a lead tipping die and just wanted to see if they fit the jackets nicely. I only did 20 and I already had the cores seated so it was just a point forming process. I am using Larry Backmon dies in a D Corbin S type press.
To start it was a bit of a process! I tried to point form them to a point where the point was just closed enough so that the stem of the plastic tip was a push fit into the projectile and then finish the point forming to secure the plastic tip and get the final diameter.
This proved tricky but possible and with a bit of practice and die setting they came out of the die nicely. Just as a bit of a trial I then just dropped a tip into the die, point down, and then just point formed them as usual. Being a 17 cal die, the tip could not tumble around in the PF die and slid down to the bottom of the die in the correct orientation. As the point was formed on the projectile it gripped the stem of the tip and jacket/tip fit was perfect. No issues at all!
Only drama is the ejection pin had to push on the tip of the plastic and so flattened it a little. A lead tipping type punch may work better with no distortion to the tip, but my process worked fine and the fit from jacket to tip was perfect with the correct diameter of the projectile being achieved.
Posting pictures seems to be a bit of an issue at the moment with my slow satellite speeds. Will try later.

Bill
Old 08-15-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
Are you making just the tip or a bullet with a tip? I would be interested in your tip design. Are you injection molding them?

To upload photos you need to use a photo hosting site like Photo Bucket or one of the others out there.
Hi, sorry for taking so long to get back to you, Yes these are injection molded in a specific grade of Nylon, And by all rights, should easily hold up too 17 Rem velocities once crimped in correctly..
I have what i call factory seconds with a small sink mark on them, I can send you some to look at if you would like..
Old 08-15-2017, 09:29 AM

I can post you some of my seconds to look at if that helps...
Old 08-15-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Hi, sorry for taking so long to get back to you, Yes these are injection molded in a specific grade of Nylon, And by all rights, should easily hold up too 17 Rem velocities once crimped in correctly..
I have what i call factory seconds with a small sink mark on them, I can send you some to look at if you would like..
Sure, I'd like that. Thank you. I'm in the US though, might be costly to send them.

Last edited by MIBULLETS; 08-15-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
Sure, I'd like that. Thank you. I'm in the US though, might be costly to send them.
Send me a email....Address etc.... Just make a post with some made up projectiles when you get them....
Adam