Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-28-2018, 09:57 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20 cal 39 gr Speers

For those with experience with the above bullets, what is your opinion as to fur "friendlyness" relating to the "off side" on properly placed coyote shots. Also, if you would, reference the state or part of the country you shoot most of your coyotes in. I'm not looking for "territory", but rather the type coyote you have available to you to help me determine size and weight of your animals and to help me determine if you do or not probably value them from a fur standpoint. I put up the fur and sell all my coyotes and shoot mostly MT within 75 miles of Canada border. Thank you for your consideration of my request. Jim
Old 12-28-2018, 10:51 PM

Jim, I am in North Central Oregon, Sherman County. My predator hunting is for stock protection, not for the fur. I would not be surprised if your coyotes are bigger than ours by a small bit. Maybe not, our local coyotes always appear to be well fed! With the 35gr Berger, it's pretty much a given that I will see a dime sized entrance and almost never any exit. That includes side-on shots. Several times I have picked one up by a hind leg and they sound like a half-full jug of water with all the sloshing sounds. I am running these bullets at roughly 3,800 fps and most shots are 80-250 yards. The results are always pretty much the same for me from shot to shot.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:13 AM

Illinois, I use the BiBs in a 20-250 and although a small sample size, they have worked great. No exit, no splash, on the few I’ve shot them with. Like wise the 35 Berger works great, gotta look for the hole. Randy makes a fine bullet and I’m sure the black holes are fine too and I doubt you’ll be disappointed with either.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:54 PM

I have been in ND for almost 9 years but am from MT and spend everyday of vacation in MT, I call coyotes in both states. Lately I mostly shoot the .223 fire forming for the Improved with a 52gr James Calhoun DHP which I have shot forever. If you want a fur friendly bullet, that's the one. I have never had a bullet exit bigger than a quarter. Usually no exit.

On the windier days I use a 6mm Creedmoor shooting a 105gr Berger HVLD at 3175ish.

I built a 1/4 moa AR in a .204 with a Shilen 1-9" barrel shooting both the 35gr Bergers as well as the 50gr Berger. My wife wanted a 5th Wheel so I horse traded the .204, sad day. I had over 1k 50gr Bergers I let go with the rifle.

Fast forward to present day, I decided to build a .20-223 Improved for a couple reasons. I did a boatload of research before deciding.

1- I already have a .223 40° Improved and a set of Redding bushing dies.
2- As much as I liked my .204, Hornady brass IMO is terrible. That's as nice as I can say it...
3- Lapua brass!
4- I should be very close to 4000 fps with a 40gr bullet which was my goal with this build
using a 25" barrel. Better barrel life than the .20 cal hotrods out there, I almost went with
the .20-250 AI

The bib is really starting to draw my attention for coyotes and the SBK for PD's. I really appreciate everyones feedback.

RB

Last edited by platapus; 12-30-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:53 PM
Supporting Member

Thank you to all that replied to my question. I very much appreciate your taking the time. I agree with the assessments of the BIB's and the 35's. Any opinions on offside exit damage results using the 39 Speers would also be welcome. Jim
Old 12-31-2018, 05:38 PM

Buddy shot one yesterday with a 40gr. Nosler, because he said it shot the best in his gun, and we had to search for the entrance hole and no exit. That was in a 20P, I’m guessing 125yds. I suppose if you hang around long enough you’ll end up with a rifle for every bullet. Different rifle for everyday of the week, that way if you miss they’re easier to just put up for next year. The dreaded wallet splash with a big exit hole