Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-25-2019, 03:14 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
So true. In comparing the two with friends that have the WSM, they might get 30 yards more range, but the accuracy is not near as good as my 17HMR. Then again that could be their eyesight/optics.. I will stick with the Hummer. Hundreds of squeeks know better than to show on the mounds. Bill K
Yupper..........

I guess I bought two totally unusual WSM rifles in terms of accuracy.

As an aside, I own several HMR's and I haven't shot either of them since I bought my first WSM. I may be wrong but I don't think that I've given up anything in terms of accuracy. Maybe its my eyesight (20/15) or my optics (all cheap stuff bought of Amazon)...................... Jack rabbits a lot further than 30 yards out from what I'd use the HMR for don't seem to like the WSM cartridge. Maybe its their poor eye sight causing them to get in the way of the inaccurate 17 WSM bullet.........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 01-25-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:34 PM

Doug, that HM2 is mighty sweet. Between you and your sweetheart, I reckon it really needs to go home with you.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:38 PM

My Ruger 77/17 WSM is a 300 yard rifle, I guess it didn't get the 30 yard range extension memo. 17 HMR is best suited to 150 yards and in......that's a fact. Easy to tell who's sat down in a field full of squeaks with both rifles side by side (on the same day) and actually compared .17 HMR to .17 WSM.

Doug, if you want another 1885, that .17 WSM is a peach. Ammo is often found at $10 per box or less online.....including shipping.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:46 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
My Ruger 77/17 WSM is a 300 yard rifle, I guess it didn't get the 30 yard range extension memo. 17 HMR is best suited to 150 yards and in......that's a fact. Easy to tell who's sat down in a field full of squeaks with both rifles side by side (on the same day) and actually compared .17 HMR to .17 WSM.

Doug, if you want another 1885, that .17 WSM is a peach. Ammo is often found at $10 per box or less online.....including shipping.
Austin, thanks for injecting a bit of reality and your actual experience into the conversation. I was beginning to think that I must be doing something wrong.........

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:20 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

300yds!!!!😂😂😂 you two boys can get away with that crap on la la la land! But in real life?!!! My 17 Hornet will blow the doors in on any WSM and its no 300 yarder😂😂😂👍 Good night!!! 300😜
Old 01-25-2019, 05:10 PM

Hey CAT...........you need to get out more. 300 yards all day baby.............16" of drop @ 300 is hardly much and it's still got the impact velocity at 300yds as does the 22 mag at 100yd. So, yep 300 yards.

Course, some of us shoot better than others.

Here is a 17 HMR chart for comparison. Hard to deny the reality of physics and actual field experience.

I'll be over here in "lalaland" if you need some more education.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 01-25-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:36 PM

The WSM has the same energy at about 165 yards that the HRM has at the muzzle. I have a couple of the HMR's and am not selling them, but I also just bought a Bmag with the Boyds Rimfire hunter and fluted black barrel. Actually does not look too bad to me if you leave the bolt out! I think it will be getting a Glades bolt handle. It's too cold to shoot right now, so I can't tell you how it shoots yet, but the laminate guns with new ammo have pretty good reviews. The reviews on the Browning are pretty decent, but with the trigger work, like any other gun would be a little easier to shoot well. I also don't expect any rimfire to need to shoot 1" at 300 yards to call it a keeper. 1" or under will kill anything I want to at the ranges I intend to do 98% of the shooting, "under 200 yards"
Old 01-25-2019, 06:17 PM
Supporting Member

I normally wouldn't be shooting a rf at 300 yards but I do know if I was to try, I'd pick the WSM over the HMR any day of the week. As Austin showed, about half the drop at 300 yards, but it's only effective about 30 yards beyond the hmr..... who's kidding who...?

And if Austin does, I'm not going to be an all-knowing self-styled guru who tells him that he can't. He's obviously capable of doing what he says..

-BCB

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 01-25-2019 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling............smart phones.....!!
Old 01-25-2019, 07:42 PM
Banned

Default Savage

The 204 Ruger is a 300yd cartridge! I guess the 17 Remington is a 600yd cartridge , if the 17wsm is s 300yd round😆👍
Old 01-25-2019, 07:45 PM

I have looked at these Winchester rifles in rimfire for a while. Nicely done I think, I hear the accuracy is quite good as well. What is holding me back? I cannot get used to the lever configuration, guess tis the reason I sold my 78's. I think most will find that the 1885 is a fine rifle in all respects.

I have a couple of single shot 17 HM2's. One is a Martini International MKII with a Shilen barrel. All in all, shoots where it looks. Super mild, pretty quiet. My first Ruger No.1 22lr (a B model kinda) has a switch barrel for 17HM2 but I have not spend much time with it yet other than just functionality checks.

The HM2 has its place I think. Just like its bigger brothers, the HMR and WSM. All three are right nice, just different. The range/energy of the HM2 has limitations, but for guys like me that have limited shooting areas, ie quiet is part of it; the HM2 with its accuracy is right nice. The HMR and especially the WSM has more zip, 3000 in a rimfire is fairly new, the HMR shares its accuracy with the HM2 in my eyes.

I know the argument about rimfire ammo costs, availablities versus a smallish 22 or 17 centerfire........but guess I do not really care, I have both to enjoy.

I suspect that there are more 17 and 22 rimfires for me to do, but probably will be No.1's since they are on hand and ...........I am getting used to them.

A pair of 1885's probably would not do much harm really.........just have to feed them; nicely done from the picts.