Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-19-2020, 04:00 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
Hey JohnHenry,

I have heard this mentioned many times on this website. When I bought my Model 38 in 20 VT I called Cooper to inquire about it. I was talking with one of their gunsmiths and asked him if they stopped producing it in the Fireball cartridges because the action could not handle it. He said, "No" it had to do with the fact that they did not sell many of them and those cartridges could easily be chambered in the Model 21. According to him it did not make sense to carry an extra action for it. He said there were about 30 rifles chambered in the Model 38 with the Fireball class of cartridges. He recommended I hold onto it. I would be interested to see where this rumor started.

The "rumor" that I posted about did not have anything to do with what guns Cooper was making in-house as far as pressure was concerned. Dan Cooper had concerns about the action and what was happening or what could potentially happen that was caused out of house by independents.

This link is from a discussion a few years back.

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33379

I have no certified data on the issue, but back prior to his departure from Cooper in 2008-09, I would guess that Dan might have mentioned his concerns to more than just one or two people.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Model 38 action, nor is anyone saying that there is. However, if the action is misused by cartridge selection, its a very small action for safely handling pressures and breeching issues that might occur in an action not designed for those extra things to occur. That was a concern for Dan and the small Model 38 action. In addition, as George mentioned in the linked material, the longer cartridges causes ejection problems which in itself was a customer satisfaction concern for Dan.

Also, as John Henry mentioned, the bolt lugs were increased to handle additional pressures generated in the 221 FB family of cartridges, but that too probably did not cause Dan to maybe lose a bit of sleep over what might be happening that was beyond his control to an action that he designed. And what about those actions floating around in the world that someone tried to use for a 221 or 223 sized bolt face cartridge with the older smaller lugs?

Two or three small action failures would have been far more detrimental long-term to Cooper Arms than Dan's political contributions were.........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-19-2020, 05:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

That list don't include the CCM family.
I'd bet there's others missing too.
Good thread guys

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 10-19-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
Hey JohnHenry,

I have heard this mentioned many times on this website. When I bought my Model 38 in 20 VT I called Cooper to inquire about it. I was talking with one of their gunsmiths and asked him if they stopped producing it in the Fireball cartridges because the action could not handle it. He said, "No" it had to do with the fact that they did not sell many of them and those cartridges could easily be chambered in the Model 21. According to him it did not make sense to carry an extra action for it. He said there were about 30 rifles chambered in the Model 38 with the Fireball class of cartridges. He recommended I hold onto it. I would be interested to see where this rumor started.
The Model 21 was chambered for the 221FB family of cartridges before the Model 38 was. Trusting my aging memory, I recall a Small Caliber News article on the subject. Even stretching that memory a little further, I believe it may have been written by site Moderator Alex. Give me a day or two to check my Small Caliber News magazines. Also a check to see if my memory is better than Biden's.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:59 PM

Talking

johnhenry your memory is ok
alex did write a article small caliber news vol. 9 no. 3
new cooper model 38 classic in 17 mach IV
there is a picture of the three bolts m-21,m-38 & old m-38 you can see the lugs are longer on the newer m-38
kerry
Old 10-19-2020, 01:13 PM

Kerry, Thanks for checking. Regards, John
Old 10-19-2020, 10:54 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
That list don't include the CCM family.
I'd bet there's others missing too.
Good thread guys

Post #7 listed the CCM cartridges.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
johnhenry your memory is ok
alex did write a article small caliber news vol. 9 no. 3
new cooper model 38 classic in 17 mach IV
there is a picture of the three bolts m-21,m-38 & old m-38 you can see the lugs are longer on the newer m-38
kerry
Could you post the picture? I have a Cooper 38 in 20 VT and Cooper 38 in 22 Hornet and the bolt lugs look the same to me. I would love to a have a reference to see the difference.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
The "rumor" that I posted about did not have anything to do with what guns Cooper was making in-house as far as pressure was concerned. Dan Cooper had concerns about the action and what was happening or what could potentially happen that was caused out of house by independents.

This link is from a discussion a few years back.

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33379

I have no certified data on the issue, but back prior to his departure from Cooper in 2008-09, I would guess that Dan might have mentioned his concerns to more than just one or two people.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Model 38 action, nor is anyone saying that there is. However, if the action is misused by cartridge selection, its a very small action for safely handling pressures and breeching issues that might occur in an action not designed for those extra things to occur. That was a concern for Dan and the small Model 38 action. In addition, as George mentioned in the linked material, the longer cartridges causes ejection problems which in itself was a customer satisfaction concern for Dan.

Also, as John Henry mentioned, the bolt lugs were increased to handle additional pressures generated in the 221 FB family of cartridges, but that too probably did not cause Dan to maybe lose a bit of sleep over what might be happening that was beyond his control to an action that he designed. And what about those actions floating around in the world that someone tried to use for a 221 or 223 sized bolt face cartridge with the older smaller lugs?

Two or three small action failures would have been far more detrimental long-term to Cooper Arms than Dan's political contributions were.........

-BCB
Bayou City Boy,

I found this link to an old thread. Does the picture in it illustrate the difference in bolt lugs which you discussed?

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10530
Old 10-20-2020, 12:51 PM
Supporting Member

Follow Kerry's reference to Small Caliber News.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-20-2020, 01:09 PM

I hope this works
kerry