Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2022, 06:45 PM

Default Neck Expander Dies

I have been busy with family issues and what little energy is left I have been putzing around laying out process for case forming 300HAM'R on a Dillon 1050. I have tried out a couple of different options for expanding necks and facilitating bullet seating. I thought I would share my experience since they are capable of use on .17 and .20 cartridges.

I have been using 21st Century's neck expander Die/Mandrels for several years with good results. However, there is limited selection for .17 cal. mandrels. Here are a couple of other options, which may/may not fit into your reloading process.

1) Porter Precision - Expander Mandrel Die
The expander die is unique in that it uses Gage Pins for the mandrels. Simply swap out the collet to match the diameter of gage pin that you need for a specific caliber. This die allows you to set neck tension for any caliber in any increment.

2) Lee Universal Expander Die with NOE Expander Plug
There is nothing special about the Lee Die other than it will hold an NOE Plug. The NOE Expander Plug serves two functions: (1) sets neck tension and (2) flares the case mouth to facilitate seating flat based bullets. Each plug is machined with a two steps that are specific diameters for flaring the case mouth and expanding the case neck. A flat based bullet just fits inside the case mouth, and it's base sitting on a slight ledge inside the neck. Use of the NOE plug basically replaces the need for chamfering. I'm impressed and most likely will use this setup when making bulk ammo and finish with a light tapered crimp (geared toward AR15's).
https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...er-plug-rifle/

That's all I have. Enjoy

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 07-24-2022 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:19 PM

That NOE setup is really nice looking. Too bad they skip from 17 to 22 caliber. I’ll probably get one and a 17 and 22 plug though.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:07 PM

Been using KM products for a number of years now. KM makes mandrels and gage pins in calibers from 17 - 338.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:24 PM

I’ve got a K&M in 17 & 20, that little bit of mouth expansion looks like a good feature on the NOE.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:53 AM

After resizing my cases and then running then through the LEE/NOE Plug setup, the flat based bullet dropped in snuggly. The size NOE that I selected was just right and created a bit of a air suction.

I tossed the brass into my tumbler for a quick spin 15 minutes to clean the lubricant off the cases. Unfortunately, this was just enough peening to dull the case mouth/lip so that the bullets would no longer drop into the cases. Curious Minds - this begged the question of would the outcome be different without using the steel pins. Survey says "Nope". Apparently, just the cases rubbing against each other was enough to also deform the case edge.

Lesson learned - NOE Plug should be treated the same as chamfering. It is the last case prep operation to be done before loading the cases.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:41 PM

I have Lyman M dies, and use them as the last step just before loading flat base or cast bullets for the same reasons, If I feel to much resistance I use Reddings dry neck lube, Cases like Bee or hornet I dry lube every 10 or so. Others every case
Old 07-28-2022, 03:08 AM

Oso i use Porters mandrel and die, like you mentioned he has alot of options.
I have no gripes.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:10 AM

Porter Precision is 25 minutes away from my house. I went to see them about modifying a trim die, and while I was there it was hard not to pick up a souvenir. Porter's collet mandrel die is well made and sturdy.

Since I was ordering another 30 cal. NOE Plug, I went ahead and spent the extra $15 and bought the two (2) NOE Plugs for the .17 cal. (.172 x .168 and .173 x .169).

Here is the Lee Universal Die with the two expanding/flaring comes that come with it. When used for pistol and other short cases the two plugs are left in the die to take up the extra space When I used this for Rifle length cases (40mm tall) I only needed one plug.

I removed both factory tapered plugs and replaced it with a single NOE Plug for doing case prep on rifle brass.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 07-28-2022 at 11:27 AM.