Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 06-28-2019, 07:27 PM

Default The ol slow and heavy vs fast and light debate with a twist

Hello Guys, Wanted to bounce an idea off you guys to help me make a decision. Trying to decide on a load for a fall whitetail hunt.

My initial thoughts were something like an 85gr sgk or 95gr nbt (this is a 6mm wildcat) however I've been crunching the #'s and on the other side of the coin I'm leaning towards a 105gr berger VLD Hunting or 103 eld-x.

This is a small capacity case so I'm not working with .243 velocities (similar to a 6x45 but slightly shorter and less case taper)

Anyways Even if I launched those heavy for caliber pill at a few 100 ft/sec faster the slow and steady catches up quickly and before 300yds even the 103/5 is ahead in energy and carries it out to nearly 500 yds before meeting the velocity threshold of expansion (1800ft/sec)

Another pro is the wind bucking capability, yes the drop is notably more but with laser range finders and turrets/bdc reticles is that even really a valid concern?

I don't intend on making a 300+ yd shot, but if a prime target presented itself I'd like to have the ability to make the shot vs not.

So what's your guys thoughts?

Any experience with said bullets in the same velocity realm? or others that are worth looking into?

Thanks, George
Old 06-28-2019, 07:56 PM

You have to watch the twist rate and bullet length for your wildcat. I know my 243 likes the 85gr SGK in the 1:10. The 107gr SMK needs a 1:8 twist in the 6BR. What case and twist do you have?
Old 06-28-2019, 08:15 PM

If it is similar to 6x45/6TCU, you are not going to get enough speed for expansion with the heavies.

I can put you in contact with a fellow in Shiner Texas that has more knowledge than anyone I know of with this type speed and cartridge. He has shot a lot of hogs and deer and done some pretty extensive work with different bullets. If your bound and determined to run a heavy I will guess he points you towards a
Nosler ballistic tip.
PM if you want to email him.
I used a 6TCU carbine about 25 years or so ago. I still used the Sierra single shot pistol bullet and kept my shots at 200 and under. It worked but lacked some horse power in my opinion.
Jeff
Old 06-28-2019, 08:25 PM

Barrel is a 1:8 twist, case is in essence a 6tcu -.100" but throated for the heavies so for all intense purposes it has the same useable case capacity compared to a "standard" 6tcu

JSH i'll shoot you a PM thanks.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:13 PM

info sent.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:56 PM

I got in touch with JSH's buddy and I'm leaning more towards the 87gr Vmax now. It sports a respectable BC for it's weight and at the velocity window i'll be using it should work well.

I see hornady also has a 90 ELD-x now as well so I may pick up a box of each and play with them in some wet pack or something at simulated velocities (ie. reduced loads to ~1800 ft/sec) as I'm more concerned about the big end performance.

I found an interesting article about the 87 vmax on speed goats. one guy uses that bullet exclusively and has taken many shots from 400-700yds (.243 win velocities) with his furthest at 765yds and he said it mushroomed nicely and was found on the offside hide (impact velocity was sub 1700ft/sec) He brought up a good point though about expending all of the energy in the animal vs it punching through and putting the energy in the dirt(which is also what JSH's buddy was hinting towards). He claimed that he never had an animal go more than 40-50 yds after the shot and all 1 shot kills.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 07-03-2019 at 12:59 PM.