Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 05-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Supporting Member

Default FYI -Primer Info

Nov. 05 2007
Here is an excellent article over on Chuck Hawks website about primers.
Definitly a good read. Enjoy...
Larry
http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT to include Wolfe Primer Info:
See post #10 below...

Last edited by Larry in VA; 07-12-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:36 PM

Default primer brands/types...what's your experience?

Larry-thanks for posting the valuable information.
All things pertaining to reloading are guidleines and realistically primers do make a difference and are often overlooked.

After many years of reloading small calibres I started using the CCIBR-4 primer and my accuracy results improved dramatically.

Over the last week I've been reloading a 300Win Mag with Federal Gold Match Magnum Primers.....and also working with a 260Rem using Federal Gold Medal Match Large Rifle primers....neither rifle has been consistent with array of powders.
Just the other day I bought CCI primers and will be trying them....they arnt benchrest primers but they are CCI
I hope things improve.
AlbertaAL

Last edited by AlbertaAl; 09-21-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Supporting Member

Larry,
I wonder where the CCI 450 Small Rifle Primer would fit in the list above???George
Old 07-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Supporting Member

I dunno George, wish I did.
I didn’t create the chart only reprinted it here from a web site I don’t remember anymore. I emailed CCI about where their 450 would fall inline with bresnis (sp?) of other makers primers and they didn’t want to comment about other makers primers. They probably didn’t know either. Sorry for the lack of info.
Larry

FYI to all:
The chart is only supposition of the strength of the primers listed. I don’t think it is possible to predict how every primer will perform in every possible loading situation.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:56 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA
Default I read somewhere

that the difference between the 450, and the BR-4 was onlly the thickness of the steel used for the case of the primer. It would make sense to me(non-scientific) because there are lots of people that see no difference in group sizes between the two, myself not withstanding. Just my observation.

larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 07-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Supporting Member

Anyone else notice the Rem 7 1/2's anvil protrudes below the primer shell?

This makes the primer harder to seat into the pocket and not stick out of the case. The primer measures .128" but the case pocket is .120" I have been "reaming" the pockets to .130" depth with a K&M cutter.

Tried seven different primers on the same .223rem load and the CCI 400 primer in one case had been pierced by the firing pin in a Winchester 1885 falling block (new manufacture). Had to disassemble the action to get the primer piece out of the firing pin hole.

I'll have to disassemble a fired M41 primer and see how thick the casing is. Being for the military ammo they don't dent as deep in my 1885 and velocity is about 75fps higher.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:43 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varminteer View Post
Anyone else notice the Rem 7 1/2's anvil protrudes below the primer shell?
So do CCI BR4s, Rem 1.5s, Rem 2.5s, WLRs, WSPs, WLPs. Tis my understanding that when the primer is pressed into the primer pocket, the cup seats to the bottom of the pocket, the anvil is pressed into the cup stressing the dry primer mixture, making it more sensitive to impact. And now for a presumption on my part, the primer mixture is safer to handle and ship in an unstressed condition.

Last edited by RareBear; 07-29-2008 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:35 PM

AlbertaAl , I have used CCI BR4 ( Small Rifle ) Primers for so long that I can't remember when I started , and I am happy with the results . The only problem I ran into was when using CCI BR2 Primers in a reworked Mauser 6.5-06 . It was a cold morning at the Range , and I got several hang-fires . A fellow I knew at the Range had a piortable set-up , and I used my Cases , bullets , and Powder . He used his Rem 9 1/2 Primers , and I had no more problems that day . If I look at Larrys Chart , Rems are considered "cooler" ...... don't know what to make of that !
Old 01-30-2009, 09:09 PM

Default primer power?? pix

http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html is a useful series of photographs (tells a thousand words) of primer flames - with a measuring ruler in the background as well. I was looking for info on RWS 5341 primers which are usually touted on websites as one of the mild primers. The flame from these certainly looks bright enough for a magnum cartridge.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Supporting Member

Default The Difference Between Wolfe Primer Types

During the last "Primer Depression" there was some confusion as to the difference in the Small Rifle Primers that Wolfe was offering. Found this explanation at "Widener's R&SS,Inc."
Don't know about you guys but this "Old Flatulent" has trouble remembering all the different details to the myriad of products available to us these days and need reminding from time to time.

From Wiedners web page:

SMALL RIFLE PRIMER (part # QQQSR) - Used as a standard small rifle primer. Perfect for the 30 carbine and 223 standard loads. Many people use this primer in bench and other loads for the 223.
This primer is a copper colored primer.

SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMER (part# QQQSRM) - This is the primer we had before for use in the 5.56 loads and hot 223 loads. A thick cup for the higher pressure. We sold a lot of these primers earlier this year. The new lot is brass colored instead of nickel.

SMALL RIFLE 223 (part # QQQSR223) NEW NEW This is the newest primer available in the Wolf line. It is ever so slightly hotter than the small rifle magnum primer and it comes with a brass colored thick cup. This primer can be used in place of the SRM primer or used when a different powder is used that is hard to ignite.

Wolf primers look great. They are made in Russia and packaged in 100 rd trays in 1000 sleeves and 5000 cases. They are packed anvil up so no "primer flipping" required.

The WOLF Standard Small Rifle Primers (part # QQQSR) have an all COPPER CUP, which is a little more sensitive than the brass cup magnum primers. If you are loading for an AR15 or Military Style semi auto rifle, or are loading high pressure cartridges in any other type of rifle, we recommend you use the Magnum Small rifle primers (part# QQQSRM). Both primers use the same amount of compound. The only difference is in the cup hardness.

Our testing of these primers indicates that they are very consistent when shooting for groups. Of course there is more to a load than just the primer. Try them out and see for yourself.
Source= http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...78%7C284%7C737

Last edited by Larry in VA; 12-07-2012 at 04:40 AM.