Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 05-12-2014, 04:10 AM

Default 7mm Wby Mag load development issues...

i have a win model 70 in 7mm why mag that i am having problems finding a good load. i get groups of 1.5'' and I'm not willing to accept that is the best this rifle can do. I've only tried 160gr. bullets so far but going to give some 140's a try. i believe the rifle is a 1/10" twist… thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:00 PM

Default Start with the basics

Is the rifle properly bedded, barrel freefloated, etc.

Are you shooting 3 or 5 shot groups?

have you altered your bullet seating depth?

Powders tried?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:24 PM

i don't believe its free floated and I'm not sure about the bedding but i have a friend who is big into bench rest shooting and he offered to show me how to bed rifles and i think i will take him up on the offer soon. in the mean time i hope to find a decent load. I've tried imr 7828 imr 4831 imr 4350 and I've used 160gr. partitions and accubonds so far, but going to try 140gr. bt nosler and reloder 25. I've only been shooting 3 shot groups then move to 5 shot groups if i find something promising, i always start with a 'standard coal' and adjust when/if i find a load that has potential.

Last edited by livetoshoot; 05-12-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:33 PM

Default bedding..........

your barrel may be seriously copper fouled.........
Old 05-13-2014, 05:44 AM

that is one thing I'm certain it is not it was my dad's rifle and I'm not that sure of its history but it doesn't seem to be fired much at all. the few times its been cleaned its been hardly dirty at all and cleaned up very fast compared to my smaller caliber rifles which I'm very familiar with. i have a hunch it may be the longer 160gr. bullets opposed to the shorter 140gr. when i was loading for my 17 rem. it would shoot 20 and 25 gr. bullets very well. it struggled with 30 gr. bullets and i could never get them to shoot well. it is a 1/9" and by all means i thought for certain i could find a good 30gr. load, but i never could. i tried seating depth an extensive amount of different powder, charge weights, brass, i also prepare my brass as close a the bench rest shooters do. everything from neck turning to flash hole deburring and every thing in between. i feel like trying to use the 160gr. is like beating a dead horse like i did with the 17 rem. and the 30gr. bullets. I'm very unexperienced with the larger caliber loading.