Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-06-2022, 07:14 PM

I have shot 20.5 gr of AA2200 with 40 gr Vmax in the past in a 20 Vartarg. Speed. With a 40 gr bullet will be 3350-3450 fps most likely.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:24 PM

I appreciate the reference point. Do you happen to know your oal and is your barrel 0 freebore?
Old 06-07-2022, 02:48 PM

Thumbs up

Sounds like more of a mechanical or bedding problem. I’d shock to make sure both locking lugs are making contact, check mounts to make sure everything’s tight and bedding
Old 06-07-2022, 09:23 PM

Two different stocks, same result.

All I can think of is that I bedded the entire action on our 20P Howa Mini. I bedded the barrel tight, IIRC for about two inches, and then to .02 Pipe Wrap for clearance from that point all the way out to Devcon Steel. I used Score High Adjustable pillars.

My thoughts were that the Howa Mini could probably use a couple inches of barrel being supported and that it would benefit from the entire action being bedded. Our barrel is 26 inches and tapers to .700, that's a lot of barrel for a relatively small action to support all on it's own.

I chiseled, and used a Foredom Flex Shaft tool and gouges and sanded until I had the clearances I needed everywhere and then I glued the pillars (they had a 1/16th inch clearance on both) in w/Devcon Steel and just set stock on top of the barreled action and very lightly snugged the action to the stock with surgical rubber tubing. The surgical rubber tubing was as close to the stock bolts as I could get it. This gives me two points that are solid and the pillars are fixed to the action exactly how they want to be and will be aligned with action exactly where they want to be. At that point I had left the front of the fore end touching the barrel and left a little bit of wood at the rear of the tang for the stock to sit on as the Devcon cured. I let this cure for 48 hours to make sure it isn't going anywhere.

Then I took the barreled action out of the stock and took the wood at those locations down to where I wanted it to make room for some bedding compound.

So at that point, with the action upside down sitting on Weaver bases and a rubber pad of the right thickness under the tip of the barrel to keep it from drooping, the stock can sit right where it wants to sit on the two pillars and absolutely nothing else is touching it. Then I bedded the action and barrel channel using Devcon Steel and used bedding screws to cinch the action down tight to the pillars. No surgical rubber tubing now.

Once that has cured for at least 24 hours I will take it apart and worry about anything else.

FWIW, this is the same procedure I always use. It varies a little if I don't bed the entire action on some rifles, but is pretty consistent otherwise.

I'm hoping this is an ammo issue, make darn sure your primers are completely seated in the primer pockets and the legs of the anvils are tight to the bottom of the pockets.

My thoughts however are 1) that you used the same technique and introduced the same external stresses into two different bedding jobs or 2) if the factory barrel was on as tight as ours was the action could have been sprung getting the original barrel off.

If the action has been sprung it is going to string shots in one direction or another due to having internal stresses. I don't know if there is any cure for that.

Last edited by JDHasty; 06-07-2022 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 tombstone View Post
Need some help. I have been trying to get a Howa Mini 20vt to shoot and can't get rid of vertical stringing. I also have what appear to be low velocities for loads I have seen listed. The gun has a 10" twist proof barrel with a .234 neck and .050 freebore. I know should have been zero but that is what my smith had. I am loading 40 gr VMaxs with AA 2200 18.2 to 18.7 gr and have not seen over 3200fps. Have tried seating depths from .020 to .100 off the lands. Zero horizontal all vertical 1.25 Inch groups. I actually switched stocks rebedded, different rests and exact same result. I switch guns at the range and shoot .2s and .3s. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Does the stringing progress as you shoot, or is it random throughout your shooting of that string of shots?
Old 06-07-2022, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarpen View Post
Sounds like more of a mechanical or bedding problem. I’d shock to make sure both locking lugs are making contact, check mounts to make sure everything’s tight and bedding
Also make sure the scope and rings are not putting stress on the action when tightened down.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarpen View Post
I would say "probably." Unless you can see something funky in measured velocity from shot to shot. Or the barrel is loose.

Did I miss how much stringing? Like an inch?
Old 06-08-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold M View Post
I would say "probably." Unless you can see something funky in measured velocity from shot to shot. Or the barrel is loose.

Did I miss how much stringing? Like an inch?
I think he said an inch and a quarter. Shoulder of barrel or face of receiver receiver could be a little out of square too.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:35 PM

I will work the load charges up and see if it helps the issue. Sounds like about all the variables are covered. Thanks for all of the help and I will follow up with results.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:57 AM

Best of luck. I’ve got my fingers crossed that it will be inconsistent velocity in your ammo or something with the bedding. Do check to ensure both locking lugs are bearing, as someone pointed out above.