Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-06-2013, 05:21 PM

Default cz 452 vs cz 455

I have been strongly considering another rimfire rifle as a companion gun when I take a friend or some kid or some woman out shooting. Scheels has three cz 452 varmint rifles on their discount rack. Each are chambered in 17hmr and priced at $475. This is probably a jacked up price because it is a discontinued model (they did have it priced at $575 - ouch). Given that they would need a yo dave trigger kit or trigger replacement, I would need to put more $ into the finished product. Question - now that the 455's have been out while and have proven to be an equally accurate and quality rifle, is there any compelling reason to purchase the 452 @ $475 when I can purchase the 455 (with single set trigger) for $430?

Before anyone suggests getting the new 17 wsm, have you seen what a piece of crap that savage b mag is. The worst rifle i have ever handled - by far.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:38 PM

I've got a 452 Varmint in 17HMR and installed an Eric Brooks trigger kit at extra cost. If given the same choice then as you have now, I'd opt for the 455 with the factory set trigger and never look back, especially at less cost.

But, that's just me.

Oh, forgot to mention "ditto" on that latest savage offering....can you say "gross"?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Thanks Rick. I already have a 17hmr in the savage. Good little gun, but not quite CZ. I put a vortex crossfire 6-18x scope on it and have loved shooting it. It really got me back into shooting. How is your 17hmr scoped? I put the viper 6-20x on my 17hh.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Supporting Member

Default well,....

I've only owned and shot the 452 rimfires, and have not even handled the 455. That said- I would choose (and have several times recently) the 452 with it's threaded to the receiver barrel over the 455 switch barrel.
I do not care at all for the barrel retainment system of the 455. I also like the two bolt lug design of the 452 over the 455's single bolt lug.
Just my opinion-remember I've not actually handled a 455.

And,.... I own centerfire switch barrel rifles. I eventually got to where I don't want to have to re sight the scope when changing barrels- I want the rifle READY TO HUNT. Switch barrels are a learning experience, but after the novelty wears thin i just want to know my rifles are HUNT READY.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 08-06-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:16 PM

My 452 wears a Lupy VX2 4-12X 40mm with LR Duplex reticle. That reticle gives three aiming points that work very well with rimfires, especially the HMR.

Not the greatest piece of wood, and truth be known, if wanting to shoot a 17HMR, my 'go-to' rifle now is an Anshutz 1517 HB.....a much nicer stick to carry about with a much smoother action, better trigger and a tad more accurate...... albiet at a higher price. Found mine for a "can't pass up" price in a local pawn shop.

Allen: Good point, had not considered that when I posted. (I'd still take my Annie though!)

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 08-06-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 PM

I have two 453 varmints one 22lr and the other 17HMR, haven't handled the 455 but if the trigger system is the same as the 453's they will be beauties, don't know if I like the barrel change system on them, Id much sooner have two rifles than one.
The 22lr I use for work shooting rabbits and the HMR I use as work for shooting hares when I get orders for them, and cat and fox control, they are a fantastic piece of equipment. Over here I would say that 90% of the professional rabbit shooters in the last 50 or more years used Brno mod 2's for their work rifles, now the 453 is the boss.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:11 AM

I got one of the early 453's that came out as CZ first moved the set trigger feature down into their rimfire line. Normal mode I'm probably at 3.5-4lbs (still breaks nice), but when set, the trigger on this one trips at a consistent 5oz! Great for off-hand shots, the occasional long distance snipe, or work at the range.

I would go for the SST. I know some folks don't like 'em, but I think they are neat.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 AM

#1: Single set triggers are overrated in my opinions. I'd rather have a regular trigger.
#2: CZ 455's don't have a single set trigger. I read some where that the trigger is adjustable; but in a narrow range and they aren't as good of a trigger as a 452.
#3: I've never handled a 455 but I love a 452. My 22 lr is very accurate.
#4: A competent gunsmith can make a 452 trigger amazing. Junk man did a trigger job on mine. Don't know exactly what he did but it is one of the best triggers I have.

Other than being able to switch out the barrels I would have to choose a 452....
Old 08-07-2013, 02:22 AM

Some models of the CZ455 do come with the SST. Also, I recently saw someone is making an adjustable sear for the CZ452. Think it was around $40.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by where_theres_a_will View Post
#1: Single set triggers are overrated in my opinions. I'd rather have a regular trigger.

I'll agree with you, the good thing that I find with the 453 trigger is the "set" can be adjusted out so it is single stage and very fine, I would estimate approx. 4 to 5 ounces, the only trouble that I have had doing this, is the bolt can be withdrawn from the action when working the bolt hard and fast, but I have got used to it now and it no longer happens. It is safe and I haven't had a single slam fire.

Tags
452, 453