Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2015, 08:10 PM

Do you think 30 carbine brass would stack up favorably against some of the 223 or 221 brass out there? Not knocking the cartridge.

Aaron
Old 11-11-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
Hope I am not stepping on any toes but.........

Looking at all four case necks in RB's last picture brings to mind one word: Yikes!!!!
I'm right there with you Ramos! Yikes.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Administrator

I'd venture a guess those are dummy rounds, formed but not fireformed.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
Hope I am not stepping on any toes but.........

Looking at all four case necks in RB's last picture brings to mind one word: Yikes!!!!

No offense taken, but there's nothing wrong with that Boomer case! Charlie is correct, it was ready for fire forming. The other cases were received from a collection and for comparison when the photo was shot.

Ray's 17 Boomer is incredibly efficient and accurate. Using only 9.86 gr. of WW296, Berger 20 gr. bullets are achieving over 3,700 fps at 10' from the muzzle using an Oehler 35P chronograph. I was easily smacking eggs at 300 yds. during the last Eastern Saubier Shoot in 2014.

Last edited by thekriebles; 11-12-2015 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:54 PM

I appreciate that you did not take offense, as none was intended. Please note that that in the follow up reply I did state that the Boomer was the best of the bunch.

I really was not excited about hitting the SUBMIT REPLY button either time I posted. In the end, I felt the safety concerns illustrated in the picture were great enough that it would be wrong not to comment. Last thing I want to see or hear about is anyone getting injured, or worse.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:17 PM

Default 30 carbine brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
Do you think 30 carbine brass would stack up favorably against some of the 223 or 221 brass out there? Not knocking the cartridge.

Aaron
You are rite there is no doubt that there is more to choose from with 223-221 cal and it's a lot easier to come by but Paul grain said to me that star line is now making 30 carbine brass and it was hands down the best brass he has used in 17 grain
I just like the volume of the case for the 17 bore
Old 11-12-2015, 04:15 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Ooooh, I completely forgot about the 17 Garin.

http://www.surestrikesystem.com/calibers/17_garin.php
Old 11-12-2015, 11:09 AM

I have a 19 Badger necked down to 17 cal. And it is very similar to the garin, they are a great round and accurate shoot my best group ever with it in the .1'S with a G.Mtn barrel.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:57 PM

I've been working in the out where they film the show Alaska bush people this week and didn't have internet. Just got to the Juneau airport and was surprised to see a good discussion. Fwiw I was not working with the show, just same village.

I forgot to consider the 17 garin. I have his booklet at the house. Good call. My main focus has been around 17 fireball, 17 fireball .125 short and 17 jet to fit ppc bolt. Garin use pistol primers? Last nite I was bored so I went to the village outfitter store and found a box of .221 fire 50gr Remington ammo for $13. I bought it and some rainier beer and went to the hotel to ponder...

Fun stuff
Old 11-13-2015, 12:19 AM

the 17 Little Nasty will flat out shoot although brass work is a PIA

220 Russian brass , reduce case length and set shoulders back, trim OAL , neck turn .... basically end up with a 17 PPC -.180" short

Blaine was my mentor back in the day and loaned me his 17 Dog Terminator reamer ( PPC -.100" short) . Hooked me up with his case forming plate and case holder to use in a drill press . I built 2 different 17LN's : first on a 40x and the second on a Stolle Kelbly Kodiak action with LV contour barrel . The late Dave Kessler was so impressed he had Kelblys build him a clone to my Kodiak rifle.

Dave was retired and loved to tinker and work up loads. Below are Dave's pics ... 4 different 3-shot groups into tiny holes. Also Dave's 15 lb. groundhog , headshot at 350 yds.

I think about Heavy Eagle and Dave often as both were very good to me miss them bunches

the Plate

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 11-13-2015 at 01:06 AM.