Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-08-2018, 02:06 AM
Supporting Member

Default stith mounts

Gentlemen,
Does anyone have any experience with the stith mounts? I am attempting to replace the bolivar 8A scope and am having trouble depressing the spring loaded rod that engages the rear adjustment while keeping the cross hair vertical. Does anyone have the proper installation procedure.
Rider
Old 06-08-2018, 02:41 AM

Default Stith mounts

If it is like the old Balvar leupold and set up I had years ago. You pull back on the scope, which depressed the rear rod, lift the front of the scope slightly and it slid forward out of the base unit. Not sure if this Stith system is the same, by might be. I believe the base I had, back then, was made by Kawalski or such. Bill K
Old 06-08-2018, 03:23 AM
Supporting Member

Bill,
That sounds like the same system that I have. The issue is that I have removed the defective scope and am having trouble installing the new scope. I can't keep the crosshairs level and depress the rod at the same time.
Rider
Old 06-08-2018, 03:41 AM

Default Stith mounts

I don't know then, I know the set up I had, the scope was in the ring/mount portion and all you did was reverse the removal method. I would put the rear plunger rod into the rear mount base, pull or depress by pulling back, lower the front into the front base mount and allow it to go forward locking the scope and upper ring/mount to lock into place.
I would head down to a local gunsmith and see what they can see and help you with your set up/model. Bill K ( hopefully someone will chime in that knows exactly how your brand/model works)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:46 AM

I am not familiar with a Stith Mount made for a B&L Scope ( which had no internal Adjustments ) . I had a Stith on a 22 and it was an unusual set-up with the front Mount actually fitting over the front of the small Weaver Scope . B&L made two mounts : I think one was called a Plunger Mount and the other was called a Spring Mount . One worked pretty good for re-mounting a Scope ( back to Zero ) and the other did not as its users told me . Around 1965 , Kuharsky Bros. made a similar Mount to one of the B&ls. There was a fellow who deals in old Mounts who might help you with information . His old Phone No.was 817-346-9633 . His name was Gary Fellows or something close to that .
Old 06-08-2018, 04:08 AM

Default Satith mounts

Kuharsky, that is the mount/set up I had back then with the leupold scope. It was always rock solid, and allowed the scope to be removed and put back on and it held it's zero. Never any issues.
But don't know if the Stith mounting system you have works, like I said, the set up I had.
Hope someone can and will add more info to help you out. Bill K
Old 06-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Supporting Member

All,
I finally found the solution! There is a small set screw in the mount body which releases the plunger rod. This freed the scope base from the lower mount. Once the scope is mounted in the ring assembly it is inserted in the lower base as Bill K outlined. Now off to the range to sight it in.
Rider