Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-21-2020, 09:25 PM
Supporting Member

Default OT- what was old is now a new craze.

A couple of months ago I purchased a couple of batches of older Rifle and Handloader magazines from Clipper Bill. My oh my have writing styles changed. But anyway, while reading through one yesterday I came across a Remington add in the Sept-Oct 1973 issue of Handloader for the Remington Model 40-XB, both single shot and repeater versions

In the last few years we have seen Hornday's 6.5 Creedmoor become the flavor of the month/decade. More recently their 6.5 PRC has gained a noticeable following for longer distance precision shooting.

One of the cartridges offered, Can't help but wonder if Remington knew something then, that has taken shooters 45 years to realize. What as long been considered to be a bastard step child really is with few minor dimensional differences and minus a belt the fore farther or inspiration for the 6.5 PRC...

The 6.5mm Rem Mag.

I found this rather interesting and thought I would share.

Michael.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:55 PM

I think why the 6.5 Rem Mag did not catch on, like these are doing today, is mainly that they put it out mostly in the shorter barrel carbine style. Could be wrong, but had it been in a full, 24-26 inch barrel and such, think it just may have been different back then, with it. It still is a fine cartridge in that smaller set up. Bill K
Old 06-21-2020, 10:24 PM

Somewhere in the dim dark past , I remember something called the 6 PBM . This was a 6mm built on the 6.5 Rem. Mag. Case . The reported Ballistics in those days was remarkable . I believe there was an Article on it in Precision Shooting .
Old 06-21-2020, 10:50 PM

Although the 6.5 Rem mag was a head of its time it had four big problems: 264 win mag, short barrel, lack of bullet selection and the 270, which was also a problem for the 264 win mag.

Qaz
Old 06-21-2020, 11:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

I have has several of the rem 600 in 6.5 rem mag, all were great shooters.i also had a ruger #1 in 6.5 rem mag in a 26" barrel. it gave up very little to the 264 win. in velocity but burned a lot less powder.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:45 AM

I agree the 6.5 Remington Mag was ahead of it's time. I've used it for a truckload of deer over the years. The newer chamberings with no belt do offer an improvement, so I can see the evolution. Headspacing on a belt is not ideal. Great cartridge non the less. Glad I owned and used one.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:51 AM

Back then the BIGGER IS BETTER marketing was in full swing. Hunters were still tripping over themselves to get a 7mm Remington mag or a 300 Win mag and the .264 got lost in the stampede.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:46 AM
Supporting Member

If I could only have one big game rifle for North American big game - minus Grizzlies - it would be a 264 Win Mag. I currently own two of them. Second choice would be a 7MM Rem Mag.

I have owned a Rem 700 BDL 6.5 Rem Mag rifle for years dating back to the mid 1970's when they were discontinued due to a lack of sales. I took a few deer with it in the 1970's and on into the 1980's. IIRC, I paid $239 for it new in box on a distributor close out in a local to me gun shop at the time. I can't even begin to estimate the last time that I shot it. Like a few others, it gets rubbed down maybe every 6-8 months and an oiled patch is ran through the barrel to keep it pickled.

Anything with a .264" diameter bullet is worth looking at, IMO.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-22-2020, 03:42 AM
Supporting Member

According to the add, the 40-XB was far from hindered in the barrel dept. the standard barrel had 3/4" muzzle dia, with heavy barrel going 7/8". Both blessed with a 27-3/4" barrel. A 700 or M77 in 6.5RM with a 24in-ish barrel has been on my would be nice to find list for quite some time. I have seen and shot one M700 about 6-7 years ago, the owner will likely be buried with it.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Biggest thing I recall about the .264 was lousy bullets.
Most blew up on the surface of elk that I saw and trailed for
days an uncle shot, hit right too.

OF course us guys that are old enough recall bullets for everything else
were damned sorry back then too. They'd either blow up, or
pencil right thru, and a 4-6" group was something to be proud of.

My first bull elk at 300 yards, then out to at least 700. Had
13 holes thru him and five patches blown off. By the time we
got up the steep hill where he'd gone into the timber it was full dark
and the three of us didn't have a light at all. At the time it didn't feel
safe and likely we did make the right decision.
As the next morning we found him dead on his back facing the way we'd
been coming in. Possibly he was dead by then, but, after watching three
elk trying to get hunters after being shot up. I'm sure not one that's
ready to tackle one in the dark timber. Not even a cow elk.

AzSam: Was there any old American Rifleman mags in that bunch?
I inherited my uncle's life collection from 1954. I'd like to get more from
before that year to add to this 750 magazine collection I'm starting to put on the shelves. This goes for anyone that has some.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"