Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-05-2019, 04:44 AM

If the Howa 1500 trigger is the same Jard might be an option for Howa mini.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:06 PM

At $289.99 for the .223, I'd buy one, but they'l likely will be double that or more, up here.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:26 AM

I got my .222 out to the range. What I learned is it doesn’t like my pet load for my L461, 20.5 grains of H4198 with a 50 Vmax. I think it’s a good hunting trigger but not a fan for a light varmint gun. Jard has 6-8oz triggers that will go on this rifle. I am going to try to bed the action in the plastic stock as it is a fairly loose fit in the stock. It has steel pillars but I don’t think it’s enough. What I do like. I actually like the stock’s feel. The bolt in this gun is very smooth. The magazine in “my” gun feeds like a dream with zero malfunction’s. I have a 4x12 Vortex Diamondback on top and it looks right at home. Now to bed it and hopefully work up a load it loves. I have never had a .222, or 1-12 .223 that didn’t shoot the 50sx very well, and that’s where I will start as it’s primarily a varmint gun
Old 05-06-2019, 02:31 PM

Moore Power: Is the mini stock a plastic/composite now. I have not looked or check the mini out, but all my 1500 Howa's have been the Hogue stock and I like them.
However on one of my re-worked 1500 I put that into a Boyd's lami and had l. Sherm install a bull SS Xcaliber chambered to 20SCC and did add the Rifle Basis trigger with the 6oz let off. Shoot great.
Left the others stock, except for a new trigger and in 22-250. Bill K
Old 05-07-2019, 05:49 PM

It looks like a Hogue without the rubber on top. It's actually reasonably stiff, but they made the inlet too big and their is too much slop for my taste. IF I can't bed it, I am leaning to the MDT chassis, but a Boyds or B&C is not out of the question. I am glad I got one. I liked the Howa so much I have a Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness in .257 WB coming from GB. Than and I always wanted the largest overbore barrel burning factory round ever made.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
It looks like a Hogue without the rubber on top. It's actually reasonably stiff, but they made the inlet too big and their is too much slop for my taste. If I can't bed it, I am leaning to the MDT chassis, but a Boyds or B&C is not out of the question. I am glad I got one. I liked the Howa so much I have a Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness in .257 WB coming from GB. Than and I always wanted the largest overbore barrel burning factory round ever made.
The MDT XL LSS (Gen 2) chassis looks pretty nice, but pricey at $499 plus cost of whatever buttstock you want to use. All said its reasonable priced for a chassis.

The traditional stocks are priced for minimal pain at $200 - $275. You may want to hold on purchasing either the Boyd or B&C stock until there is a better solution for the feeding issues caused by the plastic factory magazines (see links in my earlier post). I hope they sort this out soon!
Old 05-08-2019, 03:48 PM

I must have got a good magazine, because mine feed flawlessly.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:51 PM

I must have got a good magazine, because mine feed flawlessly. I have had good luck with bedding a couple of plastic stocks, so I am crossing my fingers.I know some of the Howa mini's have std bottom metal with an internal magazine if you so desired.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:24 PM

Default Update on Howa Mini

I thought I would give quick update on Howa Mini. This topic popped up on Accurate Shooter forum so I thought I'd bring an update. At present there is still the ongoing issue with the factory plastic magazines (poor QC on constructions and weak follower spring), with no apparent motivation by manufacturer to address this issue. No one has developed a replacement magazine, yet. Hopefully, MDT will make replacement magazine to go along with their chassis for Howa Mini.

DIP is making a replacement bottom metal (trigger guard and magwell) that fits the existing factory magazines.

CDIprecision has a replacement bottom metal and uses 308 magazine (AIC, MDT, and PMAG) in place of the factory 6.5 Grendel magazine. The company will inlet your rifle as part of purchase of their bottom metal. Not sure how the front action screw on the Mini action is impacted by the longer 308 magazine/magwell.

Stock Options are Boyd, B&C, MDT (chassis)
Old 09-28-2019, 09:10 PM

I thought the Mini includes an Accurate Mag? Their website shows a Accurate Mag for the Chassis version but shows a mag Kit for the standard. Not sure what or if they are different. My experience with Accurate Mags has been positive.