Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-03-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert2368 View Post
I can't figure out HOW someone can miss a racoon at 50 yards with a scoped centerfire rifle, let alone confuse it through the glass with a different species.
I agree with you 100%, but I also don't understand how someone could mistake a person, even when they are wearing hunter orange, for a deer, elk, bear, or whatever else, either, yet we hear/read about hunters shooting other hunters by accident because they thought they were a deer nearly every year.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert2368 View Post
I can't figure out HOW someone can miss a racoon at 50 yards with a scoped centerfire rifle, let alone confuse it through the glass with a different species.

I guess I don't get out much?
YES - I don't get it either. He hunts mule deer and elk, and everyone knows what a raccoon looks like. I was first person to the "kill zone" and when I saw the raccoon laying face down in the dirt I kept on walking as if I were looking for the shot hog. I let them have the fun of discovery...and explanation. I let them drag it over to the dead hogs so me could be an outdoor Biology Class under the moonlight.

I got my ears rung out (they were using my cans), sweated to death (95F at night), teenager ate all the good snacks like a Gremlin (smacking so loud that I couldn't tell if it was hogs eating the feed), and then I got to butcher their hogs by flashlight and then drive home... Not my favorite outing, but it was memorable trip for a father & son. I'd take them again, but only during cooler weather.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:22 PM
Supporting Member

Uh, back to hogs.
Friend went hoggin' somewhere in Texas (big place,y'know) and his host took all the <80/90 lb ones to a USDA locker plant for processing.
Anyone done that? Sounds like it could be some good eating.
Oh, yeah. We were talking about bobcats. The ^(&^ )) bunny huggers stuck us with lynx here, which has made shooting kinda risky until you get good at telling them apart. Especially since collared lynx all migrate north because they seem to be tuned into the sun cycle rather than temps.

Last edited by barretcreek; 10-04-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
Uh, back to hogs.
Friend went hoggin' somewhere in Texas (big place,y'know) and his host took all the <80/90 lb ones to a USDA locker plant for processing.
Anyone done that? Sounds like it could be some good eating.
Oh, yeah. We were talking about bobcats. The ^(&^ )) bunny huggers stuck us with lynx here, which has made shooting kinda risky until you get good at telling them apart. Especially since collared lynx all migrate north because they seem to be tuned into the sun cycle rather than temps.
They are great eating!!! Prefer them over whitetail. Most hunters haven't bothered to try them and just leave carcass on the ground...some dumb urban rumor There is no gamey flavor or greasy taste. Meat is much leaner than domestic hog. Some hunters will cut out back-strap and leave everything else behind. If you just season and smoke hindquarter then it comes out like a "white" roast beef. However, if you'll make the effort to brine cure it like doing pastrami then you get both the color and flavor of HAM (while soaking in brine solution the pink salt changes the flavor of meat and breaks down the cell walks).

This is result of evening's work. Most guys leave this on the ground to rot. Larger hindquarters are 25lbs each.

"White Roast Beef" ...ie hind quarter of Hog that wasn't been brine cured:

Wet Cured hog - Wild Ham, which tastes just like store bought ham:

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 10-04-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:55 PM
Supporting Member

Whether a feral hog is good eating or not depends on where it was killed. If it was killed where there is good natural or even man-made/grown feed and water like you see in the Texas Hill Country, they can be very tasty.

If they are killed in some parts of South Texas where they forage daily just to live, they aren't good for anything but coyote feed. Some of them you can smell from 50 feet away. The old garbage in - garbage out syndrome.....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-05-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
Whether a feral hog is good eating or not depends on where it was killed. If it was killed where there is good natural or even man-made/grown feed and water like you see in the Texas Hill Country, they can be very tasty.

If they are killed in some parts of South Texas where they forage daily just to live, they aren't good for anything but coyote feed. Some of them you can smell from 50 feet away. The old garbage in - garbage out syndrome.....

-BCB
Fair comment - diet of prickly pear cactus and scrub cedar can ruin meat. No one gets in line for free Javelina.

There is also a genetic trait for certain pigs that causes them to real smell like funky cheese or wet dog with ear infection. The taint goes all the way into the meat. I have never encountered one, but spoken to few trusted sources who have and only solution is kill and leave for coyotes.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post

-BCB
I learned this same lesson eating bear. One was a trash can diver that was removed due to being a nuisance and the meat was horrible. The other was shot well away from civilization and the meat was very good.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:37 AM

Location: Blasted hellish frozen Northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota

Old Farley Mowet story mentioned a Ukranian imigrant Canadian hog farmer who lived near one of the lakes in Saskatchewan. He netted suckers, "trash" fish out of the lake for high protein hog food- And was then VERY careful to take the hogs to a city far enough away so he wasn't known to anyone there to sell. Because, he had eaten fish fed hogs back in the old country and knew how bad they would taste...

https://books.google.com/books?id=fe...6AEwFXoECAQQAQ

Last edited by bert2368; 10-07-2019 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:51 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
Fair comment - diet of prickly pear cactus and scrub cedar can ruin meat. No one gets in line for free Javelina.

There is also a genetic trait for certain pigs that causes them to real smell like funky cheese or wet dog with ear infection. The taint goes all the way into the meat. I have never encountered one, but spoken to few trusted sources who have and only solution is kill and leave for coyotes.
An article on boar taint in both feral and domestic hogs. It is not only related to uncastrated male pigs but also to human genetics.

https://www.ibtimes.com/meat-leaving...itivity-695141

I prefer that my pork and bacon come from HEB. I'm not sure what that says about me genetically.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-07-2019, 03:19 PM

I guess I am very fortunate here in commie California, as the feral pigs I hunt have always been very good eating, smoked hams, bacon, etc. all well taken care of and make for some fine meals. They are abundant in the central and upper portion of the state. At least California still has some good things to provide it's citizen's that hunt. Bill K