Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-09-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertacoyotecaller View Post
I have a Rem 700 fireball at the gunsmith currently looking to make it into a Vartarg. I am trying to research where to buy a reamer from. I have 1000 pieces of Rem 221 brass and don’t want to neck turn. So I am think .232 and zero free bore for the reamer. The smith doesn’t want to use PTG for quality reasons.

I have a barrel and will be shooting 32 gr Vmax primarily.
Jim Kobe made me one on a R700 fireball action, and one on a XR100 single shot action, a heavy barrel. I just sold the R700. The XR100 is a PD killing machine. The chamber was reamed at .234. I use 221 fb brass necked down and do no neck turning.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertacoyotecaller View Post
The smith doesn’t want to use PTG for quality reasons.
And not many would blame him. I know multiple smiths that have stopped using PTG all together for anything and everything.

Have you talked to JGS Precision? JGS is top notch and they're great to work with.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:48 PM
Supporting Member

I have been looking at a similar project. I am looking at the controlled feed option on the defiance deviant, it seems like that would get rid of some of the issues with the Remington type setup. Another issue with a repeater is finding a mag-box follower and spring, and Remington actions for donors are not cheap ! I recently found a 221 FB classic that was reasonable compared to current prices but more than I would have paid a couple of years ago. I also recently talked to Wyatt Outdoors about setting me up with the shortest setup they can make with their current follower and spring with the plan to test it in the 221 FB for function. Only issue there is it will be several months before he orders parts again to make another batch.
Drew
Old 05-09-2022, 11:50 PM

If wanting a repeater I bet a guy could block the back out on a 223 mag box and use a centerfeed follower or a centerfeed mag detachable mag box if somebody makes one would work as a repeater. I read an article few years ago I believe it was how Mike Bryant got a 6BR case to feed.
A Defiance Tenacity or Kelbys Atlas are as about a cheap of a " custom " action you can get.
I'm done working in 700's fixing there primary extraction and bush bolt problems, by the time you do it anymore you've got the same into a Tenacity.
If your into bolt timing and pin fall a Tenacity is about as cheap as option there is the next step up would be a
BAT igniter I may have to some day.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Sherm View Post
Yes I have one, its off to nitride right now.
I've shot alot of Defiance actions there nice.
Did you already have it chambered and shooting as a 20 Vartarg before sending off for nitride? What magazine are you using and does it feed reliably?
Old 05-10-2022, 02:03 AM

No I have not but its my plan to turn it into a 20 cal switch barrel rig including a 20 VT.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:51 PM

What are you planning on doing with it? Sitting in one location shooting praire dogs? walk around varmint rifle? strictly target rifle?

If it’s varminting anything then hard to beat a cz527. If you want to spend a bunch of money then ARC archmedias action, Krieger barrel then whatever stock and trigger that floats your boat.

Ultimate 20Vartag for me would be a slicked up interarms mini Mauser stocked by Duane weibe. 22” barrel with quarter rib, banded front sight, with a 3.5-10 leupold on top in jp smithson rings and bases.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 458win View Post
What are you planning on doing with it? Sitting in one location shooting praire dogs? walk around varmint rifle? strictly target rifle?

If it’s varminting anything then hard to beat a cz527. If you want to spend a bunch of money then ARC archmedias action, Krieger barrel then whatever stock and trigger that floats your boat.

Ultimate 20Vartag for me would be a slicked up interarms mini Mauser stocked by Duane weibe. 22” barrel with quarter rib, banded front sight, with a 3.5-10 leupold on top in jp smithson rings and bases.
It will mostly be a truck gun for shooting prairie dogs. 18-20 inch barrel with suppressor. I’ve got a CZ 527 17 Hornet with 18” barrel that I really like. I’m a bit torn between single shot or a custom repeater as I’ve never owned a single shot and am unsure if it will be a hindrance. But I’m finding it hard to find people that have actually built a custom repeater.
Old 05-11-2022, 02:22 AM

I think you will find that most people shooting at a rat field are loading single shot, it is not a problem to do so, no hindrance at all.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:44 AM

Finished build posted in 1st thread