Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-11-2022, 10:34 PM

Default .20P brass

I am fairly sure that I read it somewhere else, but just in case that I did not. I ran a bunch of LC brass through a SB sizer, without the expander, and it cycles in my .20P. I will still run through a bushing die, but, that was too easy!
Old 05-12-2022, 05:47 AM

That’s about it. The only extra thing I do is anneal and use a mandrel die to set neck tension. It is an awesome cartridge, I use mine as my main coyote hunting rig with 40 grain bib’s.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:28 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20 Practical

My favorite PD rifle. 20 P.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:54 PM

20P is an "easy keeper."
Old 05-12-2022, 06:32 PM
Supporting Member

I have one but I see no real advantages over my Tac 20, which of course I have to fire form brass for, (NOT..!! NEVER HAVE..!! NEVER WILL..!! )

At least that's what the internet experts tell me that I need to do with the Tac 20...........

I got a 20 P made about a year ago, but I had the barrel stamped 5MM-223 like they marked "20P barrels" back in the 1980's... Thank you, Bob Forker, who was the Hand Loading Editor for the old Guns and Ammo magazine.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-12-2022 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:36 AM

The only advantage is if you have a fl .223 bushing die already, and I already had bushings for my .204. It's a sweet, simple Practical way for another .20.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:50 AM

I had a Redding S Die sitting here. Why anyone would prefer the 20T to the 20P is a mystery to me. If there were any advantage to be had I might understand it, but so far as I can see there are only theoretical advantages.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
I had a Redding S Die sitting here. Why anyone would prefer the 20T to the 20P is a mystery to me. If there were any advantage to be had I might understand it, but so far as I can see there are only theoretical advantages.
It might be all in the mind, but I had a 20 Practical and a 20 Tactical, and after a few months of shooting both, I sold the 20P and went with the 20T, it just seems to shoot a bit better overall and brass is a snap to form for it as it was for the 20P. But that is just my opinion.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
It might be all in the mind, but I had a 20 Practical and a 20 Tactical, and after a few months of shooting both, I sold the 20P and went with the 20T, it just seems to shoot a bit better overall and brass is a snap to form for it as it was for the 20P. But that is just my opinion.
Same experience at my house too. With the exception that I still have both rifles. This preference debate between the two cartridges probably goes back to the old, "What I own is what works best" syndrome, in most situations.

Tac 20 brass is extremely easy to form from ISI 223 Rem brass with the Redding form die that I bought from Todd Kindler back in 2000-2001. It forms the case shoulder AND the case neck in one pull of the press handle. My formed Tac 20 brass DOES NOT require fire forming, and bolt closure with both rifles is a light crush fit for the formed brass. I do adjust the form die for each rifle slightly (just a kiss of difference). I too like the Tac 20 as being the better choice for me.

I only have one load that works great in both of my Tac 20 rifles. One rifle is a Cooper MTV and the other is a custom 700/Pacnor/H-S Precision rifle. That one load is used in the first time fired brass and in all later loadings of the same brass.

It is my understanding from being told so that later Tac 20 form dies from Todd only performed one operation, and I don't remember off-hand which one it is to put it in print here as a fact, but if I guessed it would form the shoulder...... I've never used a newer TK Tac 20 form die, so I have no practical experience with it.

YMMV as they say...........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-18-2022 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:26 PM

Isn't the case taper less with the 20 Tac than it is with its 223 parent case?

Don't you have to fireform in order to enlarge the diameter of the body of the case so it has less taper?